Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was on Rivian's Twitter page today and noticed this tweet that seems to imply that they plan on offering wraps as a way for customers to customize their vehicles.

This R1T is featured in a factory wrap that’s not available quite yet but keep an eye out for more ways to customize the R1 in the future!

Would anyone want to wrap their R1T like this one?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Assuming this is actually happening, I wonder if they'll create designs for people or if there will be a select number of designs to choose from.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Since some of the paint options are $1500-$2500 that seems like a possibility, maybe a bit less since it isn't paint?
$1000 is possible. A professionally done wrap takes time and labor makes up a lot of the cost.
Assuming this is actually happening, I wonder if they'll create designs for people or if there will be a select number of designs to choose from.
To better manage cost and logistics its better if Rivian goes with a select number of designs (IMO)

·
Registered
955 Posts
$1000 is possible. A professionally done wrap takes time and labor makes up a lot of the cost.

To better manage cost and logistics its better if Rivian goes with a select number of designs (IMO)
Yeah that's true. Unless they did something where they set a higher price for custom wraps versus standard ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, Tesla is going to build a Stainless steel, Bulletproof truck, and per Elon offer wrapping it (at additional cost, but cheaper truck) because your not paying to paint it. But Rivian thinks it’s a good idea to paint the truck and then charge you to wrap it? Does this make sense to anyone what Rivian is thinking? Or will Rivian discount the truck and sell as unfinished Aluminum and then wrap it?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Custom wraps make zero sense for Rivian to offer, imo. Rivan needs to focus on production quality and volume.

Customers who want custom wraps can easily have their local vinyl shop take care of their needs, after delivery.

Now, if Rivian offered a few "special" wraps, then I guess that's more marketing and I could see an argument for it. It would have to be a limited selection, and each one would have to be uniquely "Rivian". But for this to make financial sense, for Rivian, the cost would have to be $$$$.

People thinking they can have Rivian "factory-wrap" for less than the already-advertised cost of premium paint have probably been sniffing too much paint.

·
Registered
461 Posts
So, Tesla is going to build a Stainless steel, Bulletproof truck, and per Elon offer wrapping it (at additional cost, but cheaper truck) because your not paying to paint it. But Rivian thinks it’s a good idea to paint the truck and then charge you to wrap it? Does this make sense to anyone what Rivian is thinking? Or will Rivian discount the truck and sell as unfinished Aluminum and then wrap it?
I think people are mis-reading what was said.

I think the person meant to say that the truck in the picture is pre-production and not yet available. Yes it's wrapped, but no that's not going to be sold to the public. But they have a color called "El Cap" and it's pretty nice. Look forward to buying your own Rivian, soon.

I wouldn't necessarily take that post as a commitment to let you buy a Rivian-wrapped vehicle.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I asked customer support about this and this was the response:

"There won't be any wraps available at launch, but we will have multiple color options for you to choose from! We will have more information on this later this year"

What wraps seen so far are you guys hoping to get?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any idea how much the official Rivian wrap could cost us? $1500?
I am looking into a self healing clear wrap
It looks to be around $4,000 (Phoenix)
If they offer it it should come in at a better price because they have the template for the truck and will only be doing the truck know how to do it most efficiently Yada Yada Yada
I HOPE
would be so awesome
I sent a email asking about a month ago
Official reply was not offering at this time
Plan on bringing it up again on Monday
Be great if they were the first groundbreaking manufacturer to do so
I have asked wrappers what is the best base color some said WHITE one said BLACK but all agree best if base color is near wrap color
Seems obvious but just sharing what I have researched

Let's all ask if they can make this happen
Might give a nudge
Even if you don't care Seems great for the company
I love Canoo(?) Idea build with one color and wrap them all!
Besides being a excellent business vehicle fun for private owners because its a one and only! You can design your own to be incredibly personalized
BRILLIANT!
IF this comes true I might not go clear
Just trying to decide how much Attention I want if I still had a business or even a job I would Advertise
It's not as big of a decision as a Tattoo but I would probably put that kind of thought into it
Lol
Is it JUNE yet

·
Registered
55 Posts
I posted this in another thread...

I know it has been said before, but a wrap (if done right) is not cheap. You are looking at $5K+ for it to be done right in the aftermarket. I was quoted around $8K for wrapping a C7 Corvette. If Rivian were to offer this as a factory option, I would bet it is $10K minimum, based on the $3,500 wheel upgrade. Can they do it? Sure they can. Do they want to? Only if it makes financial sense. Wrapping cars is not their business. Heck, painting cars is not their business. Designing and building cars is what they do. I bet we will start hearing about the terrible paint quality as soon as deliveries are being made. Auto manufacturers come up with pretty colors and spend millions to find the cheapest way to get paint to stick. They are not going to give you a show quality paint job.

If you had an opportunity to sit down with RJ and discuss your build, and you said you would give him $5K to wrap your truck, I bet he would tell you to go have it done at your local shop. If you told him $10K, he might think about it. At $20K, he would take your money and your brand new Rivian and have it wrapped for you.

So, the question becomes, at what price is a consumer willing to pay a manufacturer for an aftermarket product?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
231 Posts
Rivian is all about ramping up to high volume production. I don’t really see wrapping truck, which is a slow, manual and labor intensive process, fitting in with that. I’d be shocked if they ever offered this, but if they did it would be at a significant cost premium to what your local shop would charge. Otherwise it’s just not worth their hassle with so many other things they have on their plate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts