Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this issue with the navigation on the R1T? The current position of the truck jumps it's current location randomly (mostly when coming to a stop) while navigating or not. After it jumps away from the real location, it will jump back to the current location. If you are navigating then it recalculates the route (as can be seen in the video). I have opened a trouble ticket including the video with Rivian and received a followup call to get more information but haven't anything in several weeks.

Rivian Nav Jumping (1).mov

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had this happen the other day. I had the nav screen on the display, but was not navigating a route. The truck's location jumped forward 50 to 100 yards, and then back to the correct location. It did that 3 or 4 times as I moved at slow speed between two stop signs. The location where it happened to me was in the immediate proximity to a cell tower. I will be back in the same area today and pay attention if it happens again. I wonder if it is a triangulation issue with the tower.

·
Registered
562 Posts
True, but when you are navigating it re-routes but doesn't always go back to the original routing. Are there any others experiencing this behavior?
I don't have my Rivian yet, but this is behavior that is displayed by every single GPS system that I've used in the past 20+ years. It stems from the fact that GPS data can be noisy - the set of satellites used is continually changing as they orbit and as some become obscured/revealed by terrain. Signal bounce can also cause positional errors. And who knows what the Russians are doing with the GLONASS signals at any particular time. This can be mitigated by software, for example by averaging measurements over a longer period of time, by using current heading/speed to project position and use that projected position instead of the (possibly noisy) measured position if the two have diverged too much over a short period of time, or by "locking" your displayed position to the closest known road. Or a combination of all these methods and more. The "locking" to the closest known road is usually a configurable setting - it's a liability sometimes especially if you're driving off mapped roads or are using a GPS while on foot.

Regardless, a large jump to a different road accompanied by a rerouting is IMO pretty normal, and improving that requires tradeoffs which may not be ideal for some locations or circumstances. I'm sure Rivian will be continuously improving their software, but I expect that this will always happen to some extent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure which vehicles you have had over the last 20 years but the ones that I have had which include 4 different Teslas, Lexus, Nissan, GM, etc. have never done this. It may be their software is more robust but that doesn't change that this behavior is NOT normal from my perspective. This behavior that I am referring to happens just about every time coming to a stop where it jump a couple of hundred feet away from the actual location and then later jumps back. Since while navigating it makes the system re-route paths and not come back and route back to the original route it leads to confusion and going the wrong direction unnecessarily. This is not normal behavior that I have experienced with many other vehicles. I'm sure it can be improved with software but it needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It sounds like your experience may be due to systems that are highly tuned for on-road use, so the "locking" to a road is much stronger in the software. "just about every time coming to a stop" says to me that the Rivian software is using current heading/speed to project position, like I said, and when your speed changes drastically (like when you stop) it takes a few seconds for the time-averaged GPS data to reflect that. I personally don't like locking to road (since I am so often off-road), so I always turn this off when I can. If you always leave it on, then that could explain the difference in what you expect.

As one example, Google maps, which most people would rate pretty highly, consistently shows this same behavior.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happens to me quite a bit. Mostly at a stop and then jumps across the street and tries to reroute. Sometimes will come back, but often not until driving. Also saw it one time do it but plot the truck about 100 feet to the left of the actual road — so looked like the truck was driving through backyards on the Nav Maps

·
Registered
81 Posts
It sounds like the Rivian is using GPS only, which would display this behavior for the reasons outlined by O.horridus

Some built-in navigation systems augment their GPS position with "dead-reckoning" data from the car's sensors (e.g. wheel speed, steering wheel position, etc.). You can really see this when you drive through a tunnel: A GPS-only system like the one built into your phone may get confused and jump around while a built-in system is more likely to keep track of your position as you drive through the tunnel.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It sounds like the Rivian is using GPS only, which would display this behavior for the reasons outlined by O.horridus

Some built-in navigation systems augment their GPS position with "dead-reckoning" data from the car's sensors (e.g. wheel speed, steering wheel position, etc.). You can really see this when you drive through a tunnel: A GPS-only system like the one built into your phone may get confused and jump around while a built-in system is more likely to keep track of your position as you drive through the tunnel.
It's anecdotal, but I've found the R1T nav does a good job tracking my location when in parking garages -- something that a gps-only system is not able to do. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an augmented system, using data from gps as well as other sensors (wheel angle + speed).

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Happens to me quite a bit. Mostly at a stop and then jumps across the street and tries to reroute. Sometimes will come back, but often not until driving. Also saw it one time do it but plot the truck about 100 feet to the left of the actual road — so looked like the truck was driving through backyards on the Nav Maps
Have you reached out to Rivian about it?
I wonder if a soft or hard reset might help here. Hopefully it's not something deeper than that.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Does it keep going back and forth between being on the right route being off path? Like NorthernRivian mentioned maybe a reset is what it needs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the service center finally fixed my issue with the jumping nav position. Turns out it was an internal failure of the TCM module. Took a couple of visited to the service center but after ordering a replacement part and getting it installed, my issue is resolved, no more jumping nav positions!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Well the service center finally fixed my issue with the jumping nav position. Turns out it was an internal failure of the TCM module. Took a couple of visited to the service center but after ordering a replacement part and getting it installed, my issue is resolved, no more jumping nav positions!
Do you know where the TCM is located?

My truck started doing this REALLY BAD immediately after returning from the service center. I hope they didn't break something.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Perhaps, but I don't see what telemetrics have to do with the GPS or mapping software, unless some of the hardware is just randomly included on the same board.
telematics would possibly include GPS hardware since GPS is often included with LTE chipsets, and both require antennas.

Service did remove/replace my headliner, so maybe they screwed something up with the wiring or sharkfin?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts