Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a clear look at Rivian's center screen and navigation system. This is apparently a "terrain focused" setting. This was taken in the R1T that's at CES 2020.

Rivian Navigation System

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Surprised.

Making this a true off-roader is how Rivian will forever win the hearts of enthusiasts which has a big impact for the not so passionate crowd. Toyota sure benefits from that effect, so much they keep producing analog cars well beyond when most automakers would have tapped out.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Surprised.

Making this a true off-roader is how Rivian will forever win the hearts of enthusiasts which has a big impact for the not so passionate crowd. Toyota sure benefits from that effect, so much they keep producing analog cars well beyond when most automakers would have tapped out.
Yeah Rivian's main priority is tapping into the segment of people that love the outdoors, whether it's off-roading and/or overlanding. The stuff in that screenshot is very impressive, especially on the right side of the screen that shows if your vehicle is level or not.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surprised.

It's a big feature that's for sure, anyone who takes their Rivian off-road will find it to be very useful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Based on the battery level shown in the screenshot, referring to the battery icon:
a remaining range of 228 miles while the icon is depicting over 3/4 full could mean an actual real-life range quite less than 300 miles? :unsure:
Thoughts?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Depends on the battery
Based on the battery level shown in the screenshot, referring to the battery icon:
a remaining range of 228 miles while the icon is depicting over 3/4 f
a remaining range of 228 miles while the icon is depicting over 3/4 full could mean an actual real-life range quite less than 300 miles? :unsure:
Thoughts?
Depends on the battery pack they have. I read a lot of the test mules had smaller packs in them. This looks more like them small pack with 250ish range.

Also depends on how they calculate the remaining range. The Tesla Model S seems to go off an average watts per mile ( I think 290 watts per mile) and not how you are driving My S averaged 324 watts/mile in 40k miles So I never get the estimated range my car shows, close but always less. My Grand Cherokee looks at mpg over last 30 miles and calculates range from that. If Rivian does that based on current usage it would be more accurate based on where you are driving So off road would probably be less range.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thoughts?
I think its hard to read too much into that. Range depends on battery size (this could be a smaller size since its likely a prototype), driving style and weather/conditions. Since it appears to be off-road (maybe dirt/sand) and seems to be a warm/hot environment, then I'd imagine the system is lowering its estimate for range.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well said @dleewla and welcome to the forum.

There are lots of variations and the only reliable figures will be a decent sample size of real-world figures.
For now, we could run with some general rule of thumb (ex. expecting xx% range drop off from original estimates), What does everyone think that could be?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think its hard to read too much into that. Range depends on battery size (this could be a smaller size since its likely a prototype), driving style and weather/conditions. Since it appears to be off-road (maybe dirt/sand) and seems to be a warm/hot environment, then I'd imagine the system is lowering its estimate for range.
Agreed, I think the most we can take away from that image is the layout of the info on the screen, not the actual numbers. I imagine a lot has changed for Rivian since January 2020.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts