Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Administrator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
616 Posts
You need to think of regen braking as being more like downshifting a traditional vehicle vs applying the brakes. And downshifting is one of the better ways to control speed on slippery roads. Regen is essentially resistance in the motor, just like downshifting. To avoid too much regen causing the wheels to lock and slide, you’ll learn to feather your foot off of the accelerator to slow down vs completely taking your foot off like you would with traditional braking system. Although different, its prettty intuitive, so within a week it will all seem very natural. Biggest challenge is if you have multiple vehicles, one with regen and one without, and go back and forth between them.

· Administrator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
616 Posts
3. When there is a chance of skidding (like when you are about to go down a snow covered hill) or when you start to skid, pop it in to neutral
I agree with everything except this. Lower gear is far better than neutral when going down a hill. It provides a nice constant resistance to all four wheels (if you have 4WD) and helps keep speed down without relying on brakes which tend to lockup more easily. Additional brake pumping may be needed on really steep inclines, but I’d never put my car in neutral in snow/ice. You’ll lose a lot of control and recovery options when you do that.

As to whether you can put an EV in neutral, yes you can. That’s needed to allow the car to go thru automated car washes as well as other things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.