Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Many things I saw and experienced throughout my life made me think how would Rivian behave on icy roads with one pedal control . As I know as soon as you remove your foot from throttle regenerative baking mode automatically engaging. I would imagine it might be pretty dangerous if you have next to no traction on icy roads and might lead in to lose of control.
Self driving mode is the whole different topic which brings much more questions along this line.
Anyone any info, experience, thoughts???
There was already a complaint from girls driving rivian in Rebelle rally since it was self braking and making vehicle stack in the send.
I've had similar concerns. Learning to drive includes knowing what to do in emergency handling situations. The more we experience these scenarios the more we develop muscle memory when driving ICE vehicles that don't have these "advanced" systems. As you alluded to, when a vehicle loses traction you stop accelerating, don't touch the brake and instead attempt to steer out of it.

I've brought up my regen concerns in other forums and the vast majority of the members driving EVs with regen say it's not an issue. Personally, I'm still not convinced. I suspect it will take a new EV driver a while (weeks? months? years? depending how frequently they drive in slippery conditions) to re-develop these emergency vehicle handling skills with one-pedal driving or even two-pedal driving with partial regen.

Since then I think I've potentially tempered my concern some on the hope the engineers factor these emergency scenarios into the software. E.g. if the vehicle has lost or greatly reduced its traction, maybe even starts spinning around, factors in speed vehicle is traveling (low speed not really a concern), etc., and the muscle memory of a legacy ICE driver appropriately takes their foot off the accelerator, the vehicle hopefully uses its input data (e.g. vector controls, traction, direction, speed, cameras/sensors, etc.) to limit or not apply any regen, basically coast, until sufficient traction is reestablished. The specifics behind all this is certainly beyond my paygrade, but as they say I know enough to be dangerous or in this case, concerned, though I do look forward to this turning out to be a non-factor or at least eventually mitigated over time as they collect OTA vehicle driving data, make software changes that get pushed to our EVs. HTMS.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.