Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
You need to think of regen braking as being more like downshifting a traditional vehicle vs applying the brakes. And downshifting is one of the better ways to control speed on slippery roads. Regen is essentially resistance in the motor, just like downshifting. To avoid too much regen causing the wheels to lock and slide, you’ll learn to feather your foot off of the accelerator to slow down vs completely taking your foot off like you would with traditional braking system. Although different, its prettty intuitive, so within a week it will all seem very natural. Biggest challenge is if you have multiple vehicles, one with regen and one without, and go back and forth between them.
I second that. This is how I drive our Tesla: max regen all the time, feather with your foot. It took about five minutes to get used to.

· Registered
4 Posts
I agree with what Cale said, just above.
I would suggest that everybody should find a safe, open place next time it ices or snows (different), and play around. Test the limits; do donuts, get it sideways and practice recovering. When spinning out of control on a busy highway is not the time to try to remember what your instructor said.

· Registered
4 Posts
I think you are both right. It depends on the slope of the hill, and the speed you want to be going. Also, what type of transmission you have: manual, automatic (which has creep), or EV with regeneration. I am looking forward to experimenting with the EV before pontificating on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.