Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start with this, everyone has their own opinion and this is mine.

I do not think it is wise for Rivian to show their cards until they are ready to hold a launch event. The longer they hold the information, the better they will be against the competitors. Take for example, if they had some killer application for the bed of the truck. Sure, they could let the whole world know about it and Ford/GM/Tesla/Lucid would know what they have to compete against. Sure, we consumers are happy that we have another piece of the information, but so does the competition. Now, let's expand it to the suspension next week and the infotainment the week after, then the options following that, etc. As you can see, eventually everything will be leaked and there will be no surprises.

I am one of those people who LOVE to see new products introduced by any manufacture in ANY industry. It is fun to see all the wiz-bang features that they have and how they stand out from the competition. As more leaks happen, my excitement actually fades. Another example is cell phones. Let's use Apple for this one. They used to be really good at keeping information private until the launch. That is how the iPhone became the product that everyone "needed". Now, whatever generation they will launch next will be fully covered by the internet forums and every detail will be known before Apple even announces the date of a launch event. I no longer watch the Apple events.

As for those threatening to cancel their pre-order and walk away, please do. This will allow me to get my R1T sooner. :) I promise that Rivian will not take your $80K and make you buy a truck that has not been fully released. We will know everything (maybe 1 or 2 small surprises) before making a purchase decision. And as for needing to know details and committing to your R1T before production begins, that is not necessary. They can build hundreds or thousands of R1T LE on the assembly line with LE Green paint and then reach out to the pre-orders. There are really only 3 options for Launch Edition (Color, Wheel, Interior). If they start with LE Green, then you are down to the wheel and interior combinations. Realistically, I doubt there will be many Ocean Coast interiors with LE Green. Split production 60/40 (or 70/30) with Black Mountain and Forest Edge. Now you are down to wheels. I think this is the biggest variable. People love wheels but hate paying for them. So, build most with the "free" option 21" Road and maybe 20% with the light 20" and 22" wheels and 10% with the dark 20" and 22". But what about the other colors? Those will come soon after. Rivian needs to focus on the majority and get that started. IF there are more pre-orders of another color, then maybe that will be the color they start with. They will choose the most efficient production lines and that's where it will start.

Let's go back to Apple for this next one. How cool would it be for Rivian to have a big Launch Party / Reveal of the R1T, and lay everything out for the world to know, including price and options? Then, RJ would make some claim that they are available TOMORROW (for pre-order holders). That would cause a frenzy in the industry. Not only have they played their card regarding what they have, but making it available immediately would send a statement to the industry that Rivian is here to stay.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Almost fully agree. :) I for one do not like the large expensive launches. I would rather they spend that money on making the product better and/or add more 'free' options.
I just hope them saying this "under promise and over deliver" really comes true.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I normally agree with that, money can be better spent. But, a startup that needs to get information out to that masses needs the spectacle for media coverage. In Rivian’s current situation, it would be marketing dollars well spent.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The thing about these arguments I don’t like it they always hinge on “have faith and something amazing no one knows about will make it all worth it.” Maybe you’re right? I hope you are? But how embarrassing will it be if the truck comes out and it’s exactly what we already knew, except a bunch of stuff is missing because of stupid excuses (180 tailgate, electrochromic roof, sun shade, CarPlay,bumper steps, etc)? Then everyone has a right to be upset and the people who said to “have faith” will probably say “well you should have spoken up if it was important to you”.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yep, that’s the problem with leaks. They may or may not actually make it to production. If Rivian had never said anything about the electrochromic roof, then nobody would be disappointed when it doesn’t make the launch.

I wouldn’t say “have faith”, but rather we will get what we get. I am pretty sure that Rivian has a target that they are shooting for regarding specs and performance, but I highly doubt they care what the internet is telling them to include. After they start delivering vehicles, they will start listening to feedback and adjust accordingly. They need to create their baseline (LE) first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once Rivian does their complete LE reveal, then people can make that educated buying decision. If you don’t like what they are offering for $80k, then spend it elsewhere. Telling them that they should include a spare tire (or anything) is wasting your breath. Speak with your wallet, they WILL listen. If you purchase and complain about missing things you wanted, you still bought a vehicle (mission accomplished). If you don’t buy the vehicle, then they look at why the sales are low (mission failed) and make changes based on market reaction. Always be willing to walk away from the sale if you are not getting what you want. Nobody NEEDS any specific consumer product!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Personally I am now really happy that I do not have an LE on order. That gives me until 2022 to make any decision and to be able to see and drive a vehicle before buying. I will not pick a color, inside or out, without seeing it in person. I also want to see what the display and UI look like and how they work. Of course a lot of people on this forum and others have been taking a lot of the hopium drug. For me the LE has been revealed, with all major items to be included. The issue is with the details that seem to be hidden. With deliveries 4 months away there is nothing that other auto makers will not know in those 4 months, so trying to hide it makes no sense.

I also have a Hummer reservation and they have given out more details than Rivian, and I have a good idea of when I will be able to see one in person and do a test drive, irregardless of Covid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Once Rivian does their complete LE reveal, then people can make that educated buying decision. If you don’t like what they are offering for $80k, then spend it elsewhere. Telling them that they should include a spare tire (or anything) is wasting your breath. Speak with your wallet, they WILL listen. If you purchase and complain about missing things you wanted, you still bought a vehicle (mission accomplished). If you don’t buy the vehicle, then they look at why the sales are low (mission failed) and make changes based on market reaction. Always be willing to walk away from the sale if you are not getting what you want. Nobody NEEDS any specific consumer product!
Really do not feel the same way, after having a $ 1,000 deposit in for more than two years. This is not the latest in cell phones, which I totally ignore. And the information which should be delivered forthwith is the pre-sale information about financial arrangements that are expected to be made available and how arrangements can be made for delivery of the vehicle at a distance of a thousand miles when there is not even an expressed plan for a sales office in our state.

Not many of us have purchased such a large ticket item that was not available to see and touch. In our case, have not purchased a vehicle from a brand office in over 15 years. So, I really would like to see more of the "face of Rivian" in the near future to know that the machinery is beginning to work to produce the vehicle that we have been promised.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And the information which should be delivered forthwith is the pre-sale information about financial arrangements that are expected to be made available and how arrangements can be made for delivery of the vehicle at a distance of a thousand miles when there is not even an expressed plan for a sales office in our state.
Rather than relying on leaked information about what is expected to be available, and being upset if there is any deviation, just wait for it to be officially released.

You have not purchased anything yet. You gave them some front money and are holding your place in line. Heck, you can swap between R1T and R1S if you want. There is no commitment to anything right now.

When Rivian asks for $80k in exchange for a new R1T (R1S), they will have answers to every question about the product. I fully expect they will address all of your specific concerns at that time. They will know exactly how they will get the vehicle to you and what financing/trade-in they will offer.

At that time, you can make your educated decision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for this ... had to be said on this forum. Too many "what if", "should", "needs to" etc posts here by members.. makes me personally not want to interact here on this forum.

Rivian will share all the info when it is ready. We all can agree that Rivian came in with a bang when it dropped its stealth. I appreciate the fact that Rivian is more humble vs braggadocious. We all should enjoy the fact that Rivian is putting its R1T and R1S through intensive pre-production testing in order to live up to its mission of giving us an off-road worthy EV.. its promise since day 1.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
134 Posts
I posted this on another similar thread that was bordering on similar “I’m right, you’re wrong” tone. I appreciate everyone continuing to be respectful in your posts.

Let’s keep it on the rails here folks. I think we can all agree that we’d love to have more info, and that Rivian is under no legal requirement to provide it. Each of us has a different comfort level across that spectrum and is entitled to express opinions about it. No one is wrong, so let’s voice our own opinions without denigrating the opinions of others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts