Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all -- to the community and anyone at Rivian monitoring the threads

This is an open letter request that Rivian should also make reservation holders eligible to invest in Rivian.

best regards,
DK

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
249 Posts
That is an awesome idea, love it! Please Rivian, do it, do it now!

Can we have a petition or something like that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Meh. The auto sector had been the worst-performing, most-cyclical component of the S&P 500 for decades before Tesla came along. And Tesla/Rivian/etc. don't really have much of a moat against the traditional automakers; batteries are a commodity, self-driving tech is easily outsourced to suppliers like Bosch, and consumer brand loyalty is fickle. Toyota could well release a bunch of EVs with 500+ Wh/kg solid state batteries in 5 years; where does that leave Rivian? I like the innovations they brought to the table (4 motors, gear tunnel, etc.), but those can and will be copied.

Amazon dumped billions into Rivian because they needed electric vans ASAP, and Bezos probably thinks Elon is a D-bag. Amazon doesn't have the same goals as a long-term equities investor.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
249 Posts
It’s okay that you think like that. I wanna invest 😁

Know how is a big part of the business and it’s harder to outsource that than you would think.

Actually, the big automakers will outsource that to Rivian. This will be the biggest difference between Rivian and Tesla.

Meh. The auto sector had been the worst-performing, most-cyclical component of the S&P 500 for decades before Tesla came along. And Tesla/Rivian/etc. don't really have much of a moat against the traditional automakers; batteries are a commodity, self-driving tech is easily outsourced to suppliers like Bosch, and consumer brand loyalty is fickle. Toyota could well release a bunch of EVs with 500+ Wh/kg solid state batteries in 5 years; where does that leave Rivian? I like the innovations they brought to the table (4 motors, gear tunnel, etc.), but those can and will be copied.

Amazon dumped billions into Rivian because they needed electric vans, stat. Bezos wasn't thinking the way a long-term equities investor should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes - agreed! I emailed this exact same inquiry to Rivian last week. All of us willing to pay $70k+ for a first model from a new company are clearly the best evangelists for the brand and it would be excellent (not to mention a really cool story for the press) if we had the option to also invest in the company to reward loyalty for the first batch of buyers who are the first ones to vote with their wallet for the long-term success of Rivian.

Rivian's response was predictably generic, but I'd like to think they're considering it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Amazon dumped billions into Rivian because they needed electric vans ASAP, and Bezos probably thinks Elon is a D-bag. Amazon doesn't have the same goals as a long-term equities investor.
I think it can be part of a portfolio with correlated EV assets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi all, hope you saw the recent email from Rivian with the Direct Purchase Program -- so it looks like this is happening!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts