Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my surprise, my town recently acquired a JEEP GLADIATOR for a police cruiser.

When thinking about its use case in town and on our trails and in State Reservation lands, a Rivian would really be the ideal vehicle for this application. With the gear tunnel, frunk, and bed storage space, and with just a few slight mods, the Rivian could chase down ANY car in town, pull anything out of the woods, and handle a ton of gear. Would probably need a charge 2X a week in these parts. EV Trucks are going to start taking over local municipalities fleets soon enough. Not to mention no gas (and "stealth" mode for creeping through the woods).

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

· Registered
50 Posts
Much to my surprise, my town recently acquired a JEEP GLADIATOR for a police cruiser.

When thinking about its use case in town and on our trails and in State Reservation lands, a Rivian would really be the ideal vehicle for this application. With the gear tunnel, frunk, and bed storage space, and with just a few slight mods, the Rivian could chase down ANY car in town, pull anything out of the woods, and handle a ton of gear. Would probably need a charge 2X a week in these parts. EV Trucks are going to start taking over local municipalities fleets soon enough. Not to mention no gas (and "stealth" mode for creeping through the woods).

View attachment 8487
Just go out a commit a felony crime and let them seize your Rivian. That's typically how these vehicles are acquired.

· Registered
50 Posts
The truck can run my refrigerator, TV, wifi router, tankless water heater, and some lighting for a week+. It can handle cop duty.
As a former cop, not a chance. I would go thru a tank of gas, or more, a day. Couldn't be down that long in LE, on a regular every day patrol shift, while charging. I'm sure the truck could handle the beating, and would be much better for certain things, considering all the time LE vehicles sit running idle. But, it couldn't run patrol operations for 12 continuous hours.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
As a former cop, not a chance. I would go thru a tank of gas, or more, a day. Couldn't be down that long in LE, on a regular every day patrol shift, while charging. I'm sure the truck could handle the beating, and would be much better for certain things, considering all the time LE vehicles sit running idle. But, it couldn't run patrol operations for 12 continuous hours.
How many watts do you think all that takes?
Do you realize how MASSIVE the R1T high voltage battery pack is?

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my neck of the woods, most of the cop cars are either parked in the police station parking lot in the center of town, stationed near schools idle in the AM, or parked near construction sites doing nothing. If they are driving, town boundaries keep them within a very tight radius. With a charging station in the police lot, they could have a R1T ALWAYS topped off. These guys aren't exactly making Cannonball runs. Charging would NOT be an issue, and I'm not saying to electrify the entire fleet all at once (to be clear). The jeep unit my town acquired would be classified as more of a special-purpose "on-road / off-road" vehicle for the local force to cover potential emergencies in harder to reach areas or when in need of 4wheel drive (which is hardly ever FWIW).

· Registered
362 Posts
I think in most towns today there would be cries of improper stewardship of public funds if a local PD purchased an “expensive, unproven rich person’s toy” for LE duty. If you could hear those cries over the mouth breathing.

· Registered
50 Posts
In my neck of the woods, most of the cop cars are either parked in the police station parking lot in the center of town, stationed near schools idle in the AM, or parked near construction sites doing nothing. If they are driving, town boundaries keep them within a very tight radius. With a charging station in the police lot, they could have a R1T ALWAYS topped off. These guys aren't exactly making Cannonball runs. Charging would NOT be an issue, and I'm not saying to electrify the entire fleet all at once (to be clear). The jeep unit my town acquired would be classified as more of a special-purpose "on-road / off-road" vehicle for the local force to cover potential emergencies in harder to reach areas or when in need of 4wheel drive (which is hardly ever FWIW).
When I worked the road, I was hardly ever stationary. Call to call, traffic stops, patrolling. Often 150-200 miles a day in a 28 square mile city. Agencies buy inexpensive vehicles knowing they will be abused over and over again. My truck hardly last thru a full charge on a day of running errands and visiting folks on my days off.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, missing my point. I am talking about surburbia here, with woods and almost no crime. All the towns that surround the "big city" that have stationary cop cars idling everywhere you see them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts