Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An FYI that the Portable Charger that was supplied with my R1T is very finicky when it comes to power quality and grounding. The light on the charger frequently goes red on 120v and 240v. I have used it at multiple locations and places where the Tesla Mobile Charger had zero issue and the RPC gets the red light.
Is the unit too sensitive?
Plug in the init and everything looks fine. Light cycles colors and then turns white. Plug into car and it turns red immediately. Unplug car and from wall and start over. Sometimes it can work. Sometimes it doesn’t..

Never had these issues with clipper creek on 240v and Tesla unit on 120 and 240v

Anyone else?

· Registered
53 Posts
If you’re seeing this issue frequently at home, consider changing out the breaker for the 240v circuit to a ground-fault protected breaker. That should alleviate the issue if you can’t improve the grounding in your home itself.

· Registered
1,674 Posts
If you’re seeing this issue frequently at home, consider changing out the breaker for the 240v circuit to a ground-fault protected breaker. That should alleviate the issue if you can’t improve the grounding in your home itself.
That doesn't seem correct. GFCI breakers are notorious for causing problems with EVSEs.

· Registered
53 Posts
That doesn't seem correct. GFCI breakers are notorious for causing problems with EVSEs.
Per code, if you don’t have good grounding, you use GFCI outlets or circuits for added protection. If you’re tripping the circuit interruptor due to ground fault, then there’s something wrong with your equipment itself.

I don’t have a ton of experience, but with the two different portable EVSEs, and the one hard-wired Level 2 EVSE I’ve had in my home, I’ve never had issues with ground fault interruptors and the equipment.

Source: Am a licensed electrician, and my father is a master electrician (whom I used to work for).

· Registered
53 Posts
I’m not sure what’s scary about that. If you’re having ground fault issues, the issue lies with the EVSE itself and poor quality manufacturing. The answer certainly isn’t to make your home less safe by not having GFCI.

If anything, you should be considering adding a second ground rod and bonding them with a continuous #4 copper wire straight to the panel (And then actually run a ground wire from the panel to your EVSE if it’s not wired properly already). Better grounding will almost always improve outcomes.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good points all. The key point I wanted to make was that the Rivian Portable Charger will not work in the same plugs that Tesla, Clipper Creek and Emporia chargers will work in without any issues. I have done them back to back…

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Of course I know about “nuisance trips” — almost always they’re trips because of a ground fault above the impedance threshold of the circuit interruptor. It might be a nuisance to you, but there’s a REASON it happened.
And installing a second GFCI isn't going to help things... So I have no idea why you're recommending that or why you think that would help anyone.

For a so-called "licensed electrician" you've got some dubious information and advice.

· Registered
53 Posts
And installing a second GFCI isn't going to help things... So I have no idea why you're recommending that or why you think that would help anyone.

For a so-called "licensed electrician" you've got some dubious information and advice.
Installing a GFCI on a NEG (No Equipment Ground) circuit is code. NEC 406.3(d)(3)(c) if memory serves. OP doesn’t even mention if he’s using a ground fault protected circuit, just that “it’s finicky with grounding.” I’m not sure where you’re getting “a second GFCI“ when OP doesn’t even mention the first one.

Putting it on a ground fault protected circuit will tell the OP if the issue is that the EVSE equipment itself is experiencing ground faults, which would indicate whether the EVSE itself is FAULTY and needs a support ticket from Rivian.

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Installing a GFCI on a NEG (No Equipment Ground) circuit is code. NEC 406.3(d)(3)(c) if memory serves. OP doesn’t even mention if he’s using a ground fault protected circuit, just that “it’s finicky with grounding.” I’m not sure where you’re getting “a second GFCI“ when OP doesn’t even mention the first one.

Putting it on a ground fault protected circuit will tell the OP if the issue is that the EVSE equipment itself is experiencing ground faults, which would indicate whether the EVSE itself is FAULTY and needs a support ticket from Rivian.
The EVSE has GFCI built-in, so adding a GFCI breaker is indeed a 2nd GFCI. A licensed electrician should know that.

· Registered
81 Posts
I think this is a useful thread so back to trouble shooting the portable charger...

I had the first experience with the red light at the inlawas over TDay. It charged ok at 120 for a few hours then got solid red. Tried a few different outlets but the charger didn't go back to green so I thought it was broke. I had my multimeter and outlets gave ok voltage, frequency, polarity etc. I started a ticket with Rivian but haven't heard back.

Eventually I tried leaving the charger plugged into the truck and disconnected from the outlet. That seemed to reset it and it started to charge again. After an hour the red light came back.

I went home and charged at 120 with no problem. During it XMas trip up, I installed a 14-50 outlet and have been charging no problem for a few days now. I think the voltage might have dropped a bit when on 120 and caused the issue.

The truck or the charger should give an error code to assist in troubleshooting. Rivian hasn't gotten back to me yet. Luckily my inlawas were ok with putting an outlet in the driveway for me!

So if the charger stops working (solid red light) , I think you can reset it by leaving it connected to the vehicle and unplugging from source.

· Registered
8 Posts
Hey Joshtish, I live in Utah. Any chance you are close so you could come by and help me install my home charger before I get my truck in July. Sounds like you know what you are talking about!! I only need expertise, I will do all the labor.

· Registered
149 Posts
The EVSE has built in ground fault protection. The portable charger does not. The OP was referring to the portable charger.
This is incorrect information. The charger is in the truck itself, the external equipment for AC charging is the EVSE. All AC charging equipment is called an EVSE: the portable unit that comes with the truck is an EVSE, the Rivian wall unit is an EVSE, a Tesla destination charger is an EVSE, etc. It’s all EVSEs and they all (or at least all reputable ones) have a built in ground fault interrupt.

· Registered
117 Posts
This is incorrect information. The charger is in the truck itself, the external equipment for AC charging is the EVSE. All AC charging equipment is called an EVSE: the portable unit that comes with the truck is an EVSE, the Rivian wall unit is an EVSE, a Tesla destination charger is an EVSE, etc. It’s all EVSEs and they all (or at least all reputable ones) have a built in ground fault interrupt.
I meant to say the Rivian wall unit comes with built in ground fault protection. I don't see any information that says the portable unit has it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts