Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rivian said they “expect some level of delay” but won't get into details.

"The world has changed a lot in these last few weeks. We’ve shut down all Rivian facilities to protect our team and to help slow the spread of COVID-19. While this situation has required us to redefine workflows and rethink the ways we collaborate, it hasn’t stopped us from making progress. From living rooms, kitchen tables, backyards, basements, and newly cleaned out closets, our team is continuing to work hard toward bringing our products to life. This evolving new reality is not without impact on our program timing. While we expect some level of delay, we are working to minimize the disruption to our launch schedule and as we better understand the extent of the impact, you will be the first to know."

"Just before temporarily shutting down our facilities, we made this internal video progress report so our team across all locations could see how far the plant has come. We can’t wait to get back in there."

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks like it’s going to be 2021 for the R1T.

Ugh, I hoped this wasn't going to happen. Now let's see how far back in 2021 it goes. Hopefully the delay allows them to ensure things will go smoothly when they do launch.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it’s going to be 2021 for the R1T.

Rivian's spokeswomen (Amy Mast) saying“it [R1T pickup truck launch] will be 2021” is quite vague.

Electric truck startup Rivian pushes launch back to 2021 as COVID-19 delays Normal factory retooling
CT: Rivian, the electric truck startup looking to bring vehicle manufacturing back to downstate Normal, will have to wait until next year to begin production.
The nascent automaker’s inaugural offerings — a pricey, high-performance electric truck and SUV — were slated to roll off the line at a converted Mitsubishi plant later this year, but the massive retooling project has ground to a halt amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Rivian had planned to make the first deliveries of preordered trucks and SUVs this year. The temporary shutdown of the facility has delayed construction at the plant, and the launch date.
“It will be 2021,” Rivian spokeswoman Amy Mast said Monday.
While Detroit’s Big Three automakers have shut down vehicle production and begun gearing up to make ventilators instead, Rivian is sidelined, and most of its 300 workers idled.
Founded 10 years ago, Plymouth, Michigan-based Rivian started 2020 with plenty of momentum, drawing more than $2.8 billion in investments last year from Ford, Cox Automotive and Amazon, among others. It received an order to build 100,000 custom electric delivery vehicles for Amazon alongside its consumer-focused truck and SUV.
Rivian anticipated hiring thousands of employees for the Normal plant, located about two hours southwest of Chicago, but only a skeleton maintenance crew remains after workers were sent home during the statewide COVID-19 shutdown.
“There are 11 Rivian employees there in 2.6 million square feet,” Mast said.
About 60 contractors also are in the building, keeping their distance from one another and mostly doing electrical work, Mast said.
Mast said all Rivian employees — including hourly workers — are being paid in full during the hiatus.
Chicago’s other auto plants also are idled by the COVID-19 crisis.
On the city’s Southeast Side, Ford’s Chicago Assembly Plant, which makes the Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator and Police Interceptor SUVs, temporarily closed last month and about 5,600 workers were laid off, Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker said Monday.
Hourly workers with at least one year on the job are eligible to receive roughly 75% of their pay through a combination of government unemployment benefits and supplementary benefits from Ford.
“We are continuing to assess public health conditions, government guidelines and supplier readiness to determine when the time is right to resume production in our North American plants,” Felker said in an email.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles temporarily closed its Belvidere Assembly Plant near Rockford, laying off about 3,800 workers until production resumes, FCA spokeswoman Jodi Tinson said Monday. The plant is the exclusive production home of the Jeep Cherokee SUV.
FCA plans to “progressively restart” its U.S. and Canadian manufacturing facilities beginning May 4, Tinson said.
Ford, GM and FCA are all designating plants to produce ventilators to supplement a dwindling supply as hospitals treat a growing number of COVID-19 patients with severe respiratory issues. None of that production is taking place at Chicago-area auto plants.
On April 1, Rivian sent an email to customers who have preordered vehicles, explaining the shutdown would mean “some level of delay,” but vowing to minimize the disruption to the launch schedule.
The email included a video showing progress on the plant before the shutdown.

If Rivian is still held back while the big players are well into restart mode, then it won't be good for them. Right now some people with R1T orders might be backing out.

Anyone here?

·
Registered
23 Posts
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. I brought this topic up a couple of weeks ago and didn't get much of a response, but now it looks like Rivian is following suit with just about every other company out there. Even grocery stores are limiting the number of people that can be inside.

Honestly for me, this will give me some more time to reassess my finances, but still not planning on canceling my preorder(s). It would still be nice to see a configuration email/website so we have a better idea of how much money we're about to spend.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Rivian's spokeswomen (Amy Mast) saying“it [R1T pickup truck launch] will be 2021” is quite vague.

Electric truck startup Rivian pushes launch back to 2021 as COVID-19 delays Normal factory retooling
CT: Rivian, the electric truck startup looking to bring vehicle manufacturing back to downstate Normal, will have to wait until next year to begin production.
The nascent automaker’s inaugural offerings — a pricey, high-performance electric truck and SUV — were slated to roll off the line at a converted Mitsubishi plant later this year, but the massive retooling project has ground to a halt amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Rivian had planned to make the first deliveries of preordered trucks and SUVs this year. The temporary shutdown of the facility has delayed construction at the plant, and the launch date.
While Detroit’s Big Three automakers have shut down vehicle production and begun gearing up to make ventilators instead, Rivian is sidelined, and most of its 300 workers idled.
Founded 10 years ago, Plymouth, Michigan-based Rivian started 2020 with plenty of momentum, drawing more than $2.8 billion in investments last year from Ford, Cox Automotive and Amazon, among others. It received an order to build 100,000 custom electric delivery vehicles for Amazon alongside its consumer-focused truck and SUV.
Rivian anticipated hiring thousands of employees for the Normal plant, located about two hours southwest of Chicago, but only a skeleton maintenance crew remains after workers were sent home during the statewide COVID-19 shutdown.
About 60 contractors also are in the building, keeping their distance from one another and mostly doing electrical work, Mast said.
Mast said all Rivian employees — including hourly workers — are being paid in full during the hiatus.
On the city’s Southeast Side, Ford’s Chicago Assembly Plant, which makes the Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator and Police Interceptor SUVs, temporarily closed last month and about 5,600 workers were laid off, Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker said Monday.
Hourly workers with at least one year on the job are eligible to receive roughly 75% of their pay through a combination of government unemployment benefits and supplementary benefits from Ford.
“We are continuing to assess public health conditions, government guidelines and supplier readiness to determine when the time is right to resume production in our North American plants,” Felker said in an email.
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles temporarily closed its Belvidere Assembly Plant near Rockford, laying off about 3,800 workers until production resumes, FCA spokeswoman Jodi Tinson said Monday. The plant is the exclusive production home of the Jeep Cherokee SUV.
FCA plans to “progressively restart” its U.S. and Canadian manufacturing facilities beginning May 4, Tinson said.
Ford, GM and FCA are all designating plants to produce ventilators to supplement a dwindling supply as hospitals treat a growing number of COVID-19 patients with severe respiratory issues. None of that production is taking place at Chicago-area auto plants.
On April 1, Rivian sent an email to customers who have preordered vehicles, explaining the shutdown would mean “some level of delay,” but vowing to minimize the disruption to the launch schedule.

If Rivian is still held back while the big players are well into restart mode, then it won't be good for them. Right now some people with R1T orders might be backing out.

Anyone here?
it makes sense that they're vague. It's next to impossible for anyone to give an exact prediction for when things get back to normal because of this virus. I just hope it's not the end of 2021.

·
Registered
435 Posts
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. I brought this topic up a couple of weeks ago and didn't get much of a response, but now it looks like Rivian is following suit with just about every other company out there. Even grocery stores are limiting the number of people that can be inside.

Honestly for me, this will give me some more time to reassess my finances, but still not planning on canceling my preorder(s). It would still be nice to see a configuration email/website so we have a better idea of how much money we're about to spend.
Same here, my wallet has become very tight since everything started shutting down because of the virus.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts

Anyone here?

wow .. that sucks .. guess we will have to grind our teeth and tank up on some more patience on my end. Won't change our plans on making the switch over to Rivian.

·
Registered
249 Posts
wow .. that sucks .. guess we will have to grind our teeth and tank up on some more patience on my end. Won't change our plans on making the switch over to Rivian.
It's not going to change things for me but man this is frustrating. Especially as the EV truck market is starting to get more crowded.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far each electric pickup set to release is different enough to keep most people waiting I think.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So far each electric pickup set to release is different enough to keep most people waiting I think.
No kidding, it's been really interesting to see, between the likes of the R1T, Cybertruck, Hummer, Nikola, or Lordstown they each seem to be targeting a different niche.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No kidding, it's been really interesting to see, between the likes of the R1T, Cybertruck, Hummer, Nikola, or Lordstown they each seem to be targeting a different niche.
Ford too which for an F-Series fan will be an easy decision. GM and RAM are also expect but MIA.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ford too which for an F-Series fan will be an easy decision. GM and RAM are also expect but MIA.
I can't believe I forgot the F-150 EV, that's going to be a big one for the segment. I haven't heard anything about Ram which is a bit odd. GM is putting all their chips on the GMC Hummer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't believe I forgot the F-150 EV, that's going to be a big one for the segment. I haven't heard anything about Ram which is a bit odd. GM is putting all their chips on the GMC Hummer.
Where there will be a F-150 EV you will see GM/Chevy/Ram Pickup EV options eventually .. GM is currently touting its being close to a "million mile" battery just like Tesla .. its pretty much guaranteed that you will see a Silverado EV option in addition to the Hummer Pickup

1 - 20 of 23 Posts