Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking on the new Rivian site and it says the 3rd row seats fold 50/50 while the 2nd row seats fold 60/40.

It says they fold "nearly flat" so I have to assume it's not completely flat.

Has anyone seen how flat it is? On a prototype of anything?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was just looking on the new Rivian site and it says the 3rd row seats fold 50/50 while the 2nd row seats fold 60/40.

It says they fold "nearly flat" so I have to assume it's not completely flat.

Has anyone seen how flat it is? On a prototype of anything?
The 3rd row didn't fold flat on the prototypes, which is why I'm on the fence of o should get the 7 seats option. However, Rivian was saying that they improved it and the configurator will show pictures of the back with the seats folded. I guess I'm just waiting until Monday to find out what I'll end up getting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for this info. The customer service person I emailed with said the seats fold flat :(. I only want 5 seats but want a launch edition - this may throw me over to waiting for 5 seats and a bigger battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for confirming9 @AlexL

Both rows folding nearly flat will go a long way to help make the R1S a very practical SUV.
Were there any other new/interesting things you found out through customer service?
So far just this:
"That's right! The second and third rows of the R1S fold nearly flat to about 3° as stated on the website. The second row has a 60/40 split and can slide forward/backward to increase legroom and allow easier access to the third row. The third row is fixed and thus cannot slide back or forward. I've attached a photo to help demonstrate this. Still, we'll have more details and photos available to help our community
better visualize this as we get closer to deliveries as well. Keep your eyes out!"

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the thing keeping me on the fence the most between the R1T and R1S. I'd get the 7 seater if I got the S, but those seats would be folded down 95% of the time, frankly. I'd like to have the storage, but having those two extra seats would be VERY nice that 5% of the time I'd use them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So far just this:
"That's right! The second and third rows of the R1S fold nearly flat to about 3° as stated on the website. The second row has a 60/40 split and can slide forward/backward to increase legroom and allow easier access to the third row. The third row is fixed and thus cannot slide back or forward. I've attached a photo to help demonstrate this. Still, we'll have more details and photos available to help our community View attachment 1514 better visualize this as we get closer to deliveries as well. Keep your eyes out!"
So, how difficult is it to open the rear liftgate and tailgate, fold the seats down and take a picture? Reminds me of those old Polock jokes ...

·
Registered
672 Posts
This is the thing keeping me on the fence the most between the R1T and R1S. I'd get the 7 seater if I got the S, but those seats would be folded down 95% of the time, frankly. I'd like to have the storage, but having those two extra seats would be VERY nice that 5% of the time I'd use them.
If they fold as much as Rivian claims then I don't think you'd lose that much storage space if you go with the 7 seater.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got these measurements from customer service. There is a difference between 5 and 7 seat configuration, you can see here where there is 75mm (almost 3 inches) in the cargo height between the 5 and 7 seat R1S configurations. This data should be fairly accurate as I got it in on 2/23/2021.

• The cargo floor length behind third-row seats is 553 mm.
• The cargo width behind third-row seats is 1298 mm.
• The cargo floor length behind second-row seats is 1353 mm.
• The cargo width behind the second-row seats is 1298 mm.
• The cargo width minimum with 5 passenger seating is 1151 mm.
• The cargo height with 7-passenger seating is 855 mm.

• The cargo height with 5-passenger seating is 925 mm.

• The cargo width minimum and maximum ranges from 1084-1496 mm.
• The cargo volume behind the third-row seats is 499 liters.
• The cargo volume behind the second-row seats with the third row folded is 1323 liters.
• The cargo volume behind the first-row seats with the second and third-row seats folded down is 2499 liters.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
What are you cargo needs like? You can always remove the 3rd row till its needed for that 5%

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was told that they “could” be removed, but it wouldn’t be quick and easy and definitely not recommended,

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
184 Posts
@R99 I guess that answers all our questions regarding for the 300 miles model. Still need to see if it is going to be different for the 400 miles model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That video sold me on the R1S. My needs will be for shuttling kids around once COVID is over (I only have 2, but they have friends) also for my parents when they come to visit. So all six of us can go somewhere in one car, instead of letting my dad drive my Tesla (he's not a great driver). Otherwise, we're dogless as of 8 months ago, but we'll have another one in a year or two. So the S is better for family + dog than the T. So all in all I think the S just does make a lot more sense. Also I'll have no problem fitting my hockey gear in the S, along with sticks, with that center fold-down spot in the 2nd row.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What’s under the panel behind the rear seats? Is it a wheel/tire or storage?

Based on the exterior dimensions and pictures, I would think R1S would have similar storage to our Odyssey when you include the frunk, but I’m wondering if the cabin is just not aa tall since I think the numbers would suggest it doesn’t. IF we took out our middle row seats, we could get 4x8 sheets of plywood in there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts