Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah if it's not Rivian's own insurance program, hopefully that job posting is someone that can get insurance companies to partner with Rivian to offer policies for customers.
Possibly.
Fortunately all-electric SUV's like the Audi e-Tron and Mustang Mach-E that are currently available should help insurance companies to figure out the rate for these Rivians.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Possibly.
Fortunately all-electric SUV's like the Audi e-Tron and Mustang Mach-E that are currently available should help insurance companies to figure out the rate for these Rivians.
Yeah they're going to have to come up with something tangible soon before they get overwhelmed with new customers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I don't know if I missed it on the forum, but I thought i would give some actual numbers.
I currently own a 2017 Tesla Model X and my insurance runs about $630.00 for 6 months. I don't think that is too extreme especially given the large front glass windshield.
I'm expecting the Rivian R1S (deposit holders as well) to come in around that number.
My insurance is thru State Farm. They didn't seem to have any problems with the Tesla insurance and I expect the same on the Rivian.
Keep in mind that insurance relies on a lot of factors such as location, amount of driving, credit score, driving history, etc.
I have a clean driving history, better than 800 FICO score, no tickets or accidents 10 years plus (knock on some serious wood), and we live in St. Louis, MO.
I hear people getting additional discounts for "Drive Safe and Save" but with an electric vehicle and the speed, there is no way I would qualify.
I also pay in full every 6 Months and have my home bundled with my auto.
Hope that give a complete picture of what possibly to expect.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So I don't know if I missed it on the forum, but I thought i would give some actual numbers.
I currently own a 2017 Tesla Model X and my insurance runs about $630.00 for 6 months. I don't think that is too extreme especially given the large front glass windshield.
I'm expecting the Rivian R1S (deposit holders as well) to come in around that number.
My insurance is thru State Farm. They didn't seem to have any problems with the Tesla insurance and I expect the same on the Rivian.
Keep in mind that insurance relies on a lot of factors such as location, amount of driving, credit score, driving history, etc.
I have a clean driving history, better than 800 FICO score, no tickets or accidents 10 years plus (knock on some serious wood), and we live in St. Louis, MO.
I hear people getting additional discounts for "Drive Safe and Save" but with an electric vehicle and the speed, there is no way I would qualify.
I also pay in full every 6 Months and have my home bundled with my auto.
Hope that give a complete picture of what possibly to expect.
Thanks for the info Joe. Have you by any chance talked to State Farm about Rivian specifically?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Miles, just got a quote this morning from State Farm for the Rivian R1S. I actually posted before and I was off $100 on my Tesla. I think when we first got it the rate was $630.00.
We pay $533.00 for 6 months. The quote on the R1S came back $20.00 higher than the Tesla at $553.00 for 6 months. Again, I have excellent credit and would be paying in full for 6 months at a time, but overall that seems really reasonable for insurance. Thanks group you motivated me to get that part off my bucket list before the car arrives.
Here is a pic of that quote:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a thought on getting insurance from Tesla or Rivian. Would you really want to?
If Tesla can monitor your driving all the time, what is to say they don't base your insurance on how you actually drive.
I didn't sign up for Drive Safe and Save in my Tesla from state farm, because they would freak at the number of times I launch that X off the line. I haven't had any accidents so why should they care, but they'll tell me "statistically" I'm more likely to get in an accident because of my lead foot and the way I take curves (God love a low center of gravity). Anyway, just a thought if the car can record and report all of these things to Tesla Insurance then my rate might be quite a bit higher than from a carrier who can only see that I haven't had an accident in 15 years. Just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A $20 difference between the R1S and Model X isn't too bad at all, especially for a brand new vehicle.

As for Rivian and Tesla monitoring drivers for insurance, that's something I didn't consider. I've never been one to use those insurance apps because I'm always worried they'll backfire and cost me more money.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just a thought on getting insurance from Tesla or Rivian. Would you really want to?
Very possible. Excerpt from a local (Normal) NPR media outlet - "Rivian Staffing Up For Insurance Team Powered By Data"

"Rivian’s battery-powered vehicles will feature a ton of connected-car and autonomous-driving technology. To that end, Rivian is hiring an “Actuarial Data Scientist” in San Jose, Calif., to help design and build “leading predictive insurance models based on a large vehicle data sets that include lidar, radar, ultrasonic sensors, high accuracy GPS and cameras.” They’d be tasked with modeling “driving behaviors and vehicle (movement) to solve business problems and deliver scalable pricing and claims solutions.”

And ...

"The demand for Rivian insurance could depend on consumer appetite for telematics insurance—or usage-based insurance. Amid less driving and more cost-consciousness during the pandemic, a J.D. Power survey released this month found consumers are now more willing to consider telematics insurance and see more value in it. Historically, privacy and security concerns have been barriers, or the savings weren’t enough to bother with it."

But also keep in mind it might make little difference going with State Farm or any other large insurance carriers.

"It’s unclear if Rivian will partner with a traditional insurer, too. Theoretically, it could pursue licenses to sell insurance itself, but that’s much harder.
“For these guys, that’s almost death by a thousand paper cuts, having to deal with private-passenger auto claims,” said Ellen Carney, principal analyst at Forrester Research. “The logical thing for Rivian to be doing would be an aggregator. They’d be a distribution point for insurance. Let someone else assume the risk, handle the claims, and they’ll just take a cut.”

So State Farm and/or other insurance carriers may still have indirect access to your "lead foot."

Takeaway: If Rivian can "initially" provide a much lower premium for comparable coverage from traditional auto-insurance carriers, why not save yourself a few bucks. The odds of needing the insurance are in your favor. Now if they start to raise the premium (for whatever reason, vehicle telemetry or otherwise) after you have had the EV for a while, you should be able to cancel it at any time like today and purchase your auto insurance somewhere else. Another thing to keep in mind is insurance companies usually give discounts with bundled policies, meaning multiple vehicles and/or house + vehicle. Having your Rivian on a different insurance carrier (Rivian Ins.) might not necessarily get you the best "overall" rate. So Rivian may just also offer property insurance for your home. Now that brings more variables that would need to be considered to get the appropriate insurance coverage at a reasonable rate.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts