Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
It appears the closest SUV in terms of size is the BMW X7, as it is within an inch in terms of length, width, height and wheelbase with the R1S.
Agreed. I just drove through BMW lot today to get a feel for the size. The X7 has a much more defined taper in the rear likely for reduced drag to hit EPA mileage targets. With the R1S going straight up I think it will open up significant more usable storage, in addition to the sub floor space and frunk. Still bummed no pass through seat though!

Any idea as a reference point to a vehicle that would be similar stature in height with the suspension all the way up? I think ground clearance is around 14", which is about 6" higher... or 78" height at max suspension? Maybe the Range Rover Defender?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Agreed. I just drove through BMW lot today to get a feel for the size. The X7 has a much more defined taper in the rear likely for reduced drag to hit EPA mileage targets. With the R1S going straight up I think it will open up significant more usable storage, in addition to the sub floor space and frunk. Still bummed no pass through seat though!

Any idea as a reference point to a vehicle that would be similar stature in height with the suspension all the way up? I think ground clearance is around 14", which is about 6" higher... or 78" height at max suspension? Maybe the Range Rover Defender?
The Range Rover Land Rover LWB is very close in most dimensions to the R1S.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like the R1S is right between the Land Rover and the Land Rover Long Wheel Base for overall length but almost the same wheelbase R1S 121 Land Rover LWB 122.9

These are the Long Wheel Base numbers;
Wheelbase (in.): 122.9
Length, Overall (in.): 207.4
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in.): 78.1
Height, Overall (in.): 73.5
Sure enough. I have the LWB so that I can fit either kiteboarding or snowboarding gear in, depending on the season. I like that the Rivian has almost the same wheeelbase (very comfy on the highway), while the interior room behind front seats is actually tad better, with the seats folding much closer to flat than on the RR.

·
Registered
666 Posts

What did you think of the X7's overall size when you saw it in person. Was it bigger/smaller than you expected?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's a lot smaller than my Yukon XL but it sure as heck is better than 17mpg...plus, I can always use the frunk for luggage and put the ski bags on the roof....go Rivian!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome @Jay B!
Did you consider any other vehicles before ordering your R1S?
Are you planning to get any of the official Rivian accessories to to haul around your gear?
I tested the Tesla X before going with the Long Wheelbase RR. I could overlook the X’s “overinflated S car” looks, but not it’s shortcomings as a practical SUV.

ive look at the Rivian addons, I’ll get a roof rack for kayaks, bikes, etc but I’m thrilled with the room inside with the second row folded. I’m getting the 5 seat option.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts