Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're looking to tow things with your R1S it has a tow rating of 7,700 lbs. I'm surprised there's such a huge difference between its tow rating and the R1T's (11,000 pounds). Anyone know why that's the case?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It most likely has to do with the wheelbase. I have an old Jeep TJ, it is rated at 2000 lbs, a Cherokee from the same year (same engine, axles everything) can tow 5000 lbs because it is much longer. Same deal here. I am sure someone can go into the physics of it, but that is the simplest answer. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It most likely has to do with the wheelbase. I have an old Jeep TJ, it is rated at 2000 lbs, a Cherokee from the same year (same engine, axles everything) can tow 5000 lbs because it is much longer. Same deal here. I am sure someone can go into the physics of it, but that is the simplest answer. :)
I didn't consider that but it makes a lot of sense. I checked on Rivian's website and there's a 14 inch wheelbase difference between the two.

R1T wheelbase - 135 inches
R1S wheelbase - 121 inches

·
Registered
16 Posts
I keep on looking and don't see any R1T with a hitch , does that mean truck doesn't come with it and you have to install it or its hidden?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I keep on looking and don't see any R1T with a hitch , does that mean truck doesn't come with it and you have to install it or its hidden?
Towing update from the chat with them. Trailer Hitch is hidden behind removable panel. It is a 2'' Class V receiver. The R1T's towing capacity is 11,000 pounds and the R1S is 7,700 pounds. Also the trailer hitch receiver and vehicle structure are rated for a tongue weight of 810 lbs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some screenshots from the Rivian hot weather testing video. You can see the R1T's trailer hitch. I imagine it will be the same for the R1S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts