Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Hummer SUV was revealed on the weekend and to me it looks so much better than the pickup version.

The info about it so far is:

• Release date: 2023 (as 2024 model)
  • Price: $79,995 (EV2), $89,995 (EV2X), $99,995 (EV3X), $105,595 (Edition 1)
  • Extreme Off-Road package: $5,000
  • Power: 830 hp (Edition 1/EV3X)
  • 3 motor setup (Edition 1/EV3X)
  • 0-60: 3.5 seconds
  • 4 wheel steering
  • Turning circle: 35.4 feet (10.8 meters)
  • 9-inch less wheelbase than the pickup truck
  • Infinity Roof with removable Sky Panels and I-Bar
  • Unique 18-inch wheels and 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires
  • Underbody armor and rock sliders
  • UltraVision with underbody cameras7 (front- and rear-facing with wash system)
  • Front eLocker and rear virtual lockers
  • Heavy-duty ball-spline half shafts

HUMMER EV SUV
Wheelbase (in. / mm):126.7 / 3218
Vehicle length w/o spare (in. / mm):196.8 / 4999.5
Width w/o mirrors (in. / mm):86.5 / 2196
Width w/ mirrors (in. / mm):93.7 / 2380
Max ground clearance (in. / mm):16.0 / 406
Front overhang (in. / mm):34.7 / 881
Rear overhang w/o spare (in. / mm):35.5/ 900.5
Max approach angle^ (deg.):49.6
Max departure angle^ w/o spare (deg.):49.0
Max breakover angle^ (deg.):34.4
Max water fording depth^ (in. / mm):32 / 813
Track width (in. / mm):73.3 / 1863 (front and rear)
Turning circle, with available 4 Wheel Steer (ft. / m):35.4 / 10.8
Suspension travel (in. / mm):13 / 330 (front and rear)

·
Registered
188 Posts
And they're sticking with a 300-mile battery.
Same situation as Rivian, shorter wheelbase means less room for battery pack. The SUV Hummer has 20 modules, the SUT will have 24 modules (350 miles). I have the Hummer SUT reserved and will be sticking with that. I will get my wife an R1S Explorer, she does not drive off road.

GM has indicated the off-road package on the SUV will lower the range by 20 miles. Different wheels/tires, plus battery shield and rock sliders/running boards that add weight. The SUT is estimated at 350miles with all those accessories.

So it will be interesting to see how the Rivian EPA numbers come out based on wheel/tire choices and off-road package or not.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
For many, I think a big reason for going with the HUMMER EV SUV versus other capable electric SUVs (ex. R1S) will be aftermarket support.

Would that make any R1S reservation holders here switch?

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
94 Posts
Really cool vehicle but not for my taste. Thrilled that more and more ICE companies are embracing EV.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Check out this video I saw on t he Hummer Chat Forum. The trail maps feature is really cool, it is about 16 minutes into the video.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Same situation as Rivian, shorter wheelbase means less room for battery pack. The SUV Hummer has 20 modules, the SUT will have 24 modules (350 miles). I have the Hummer SUT reserved and will be sticking with that. I will get my wife an R1S Explorer, she does not drive off road.

GM has indicated the off-road package on the SUV will lower the range by 20 miles. Different wheels/tires, plus battery shield and rock sliders/running boards that add weight. The SUT is estimated at 350miles with all those accessories.

So it will be interesting to see how the Rivian EPA numbers come out based on wheel/tire choices and off-road package or not.
[/QUOT
The R1S we ordered is for my wife. I drive to/from the train station and take the train to work.
For many, I think a big reason for going with the HUMMER EV SUV versus other capable electric SUVs (ex. R1S) will be aftermarket support.

Would that make any R1S reservation holders here switch?
By the time the Hummer is released, two years from now, you'll have had an opportunity to see what Rivian's support looks like. You'll also be comparing the 2023 release of the Hummer to whatever Rivian is doing in two years. The problem with all of these sneak peeks into the future is that the market will have changed appreciably by the time it actually happens. Had Rivian hit their initial goals they'd be prepping a new model with a full year head start on the competition. They'll still be first out of the gate but then the market will start to play catch-up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
By the time the Hummer is released, two years from now, you'll have had an opportunity to see what Rivian's support looks like. You'll also be comparing the 2023 release of the Hummer to whatever Rivian is doing in two years. The problem with all of these sneak peeks into the future is that the market will have changed appreciably by the time it actually happens. Had Rivian hit their initial goals they'd be prepping a new model with a full year head start on the competition. They'll still be first out of the gate but then the market will start to play catch-up.
The Hummer SUT truck comes out this fall, just a few months after R1T, and well before the Cybertruck.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Check out this video I saw on t he Hummer Chat Forum. The trail maps feature is really cool, it is about 16 minutes into the video.

Some more videos of the Hummer SUV. I think GMC did a great job modernizing the look of previous Hummers. I think it's price and style is going to attract a different buyer than the R1S but as far as specs go it'll be fun to see them side by side off-road.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The Hummer brand just isn’t for me; too bro-ey and gratuitous. But good brands shouldn’t be for everyone.
I totally agree.

The R1S will be great for folks looking for a fresh start but still enjoy most of the traditional SUV things we've been used to. Aside from the powertrain of course. That said, it will be interesting to see what Rivian owner demographics will be like and how folks come off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts