Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
That R1T looks right at home playing in the snow. But as fun as that is, I wonder how much range dipped after. Its one real world concern that's hard to answer directly. At best we can use some general rule of thumb and past data from existing EVs.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That R1T looks right at home playing in the snow. But as fun as that is, I wonder how much range dipped after. Its one real world concern that's hard to answer directly. At best we can use some general rule of thumb and past data from existing EVs.
Unless Rivian comes out and tells us we won't really know until people start getting their trucks, and depending on where they are, when it's winter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unless Rivian comes out and tells us we won't really know until people start getting their trucks, and depending on where they are, when it's winter.
Unless they've come out with some game-changing tech, their lithium-ion battery pack will act like everyone else's and drop by nearly 50% in subzero temperatures. Just a fact of life.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not sure they need tech to achieve that, maybe just better design. Something with more shielding and insulation would in theory require less constant power in order to maintain a warming element to keep the battery in an optimal temperature. I honestly haven't really paid that much attention to this issue in any EV (I live in WA but on the west side of the mountains where it's rare that we have subzero F temperatures) so I'm not sure I even know what I'm talking about 😆

1 - 5 of 5 Posts