Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rivian shared a new progress report of their engineers conducting hot weather testing for the R1T.

They had the R1T tow 11,000 pounds in 118 degree temperatures at Davis Dam and Death Valley.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If this holds true with real-world testing via owners then the R1T could be a good work truck.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Rivian shared some information about how max towing capacity affects range. If you're towing around 11,000 pounds you can expect 50% range reduction.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So it can tow 11,000 lbs, but does that mean it will be rated to tow that much?

I understand the R1T is more in size to a Tacoma... not a full-size pickup. And the Tacoma has a max tow rating of 6,800 lbs. So is it realistic to expect the official max tow rating will drop from 11,000 lbs.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it can tow 11,000 lbs, but does that mean it will be rated to tow that much?

I understand the R1T is more in size to a Tacoma... not a full-size pickup. And the Tacoma has a max tow rating of 6,800 lbs. So is it realistic to expect the official max tow rating will drop from 11,000 lbs.
On Rivian's website they're claiming a max towing capacity of 11,000 pounds. That could change I guess but Rivian does seem keen on that number.

At that number the R1T is in the middle between the midsize trucks and the full size trucks.

Rivian R1T - 11,000 pounds
2020 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost V6 - 13,200 pounds
2020 Ford F-150 5.0L V8 - 11,500 pounds
2020 Ram 1500 5.7L V8 with eTorque - 12,750 pounds
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 13,400 pounds

·
Registered
409 Posts
I wonder how the R1T's max towing capacity will compare to other electric pickup trucks, like the Ford F-150 EV and Tesla Cybertruck. Hopefully we'll see improvements to range reduction while towing. Does anyone think Ford and Tesla could do better?

"Tesla's Cybertruck is available in 3 different versions. The base, rear-wheel-drive variant can tow around 7,500 lbs, followed by the dual-motor version, which can tow about 10,000 lbs. The more powerful the tri-motor model will be capable of towing over 14,000 lbs, according to Tesla. Cybertruck can also carry 3,500 lbs of maximum payload.

In Ford's promotional video, the automaker showed the electric F-150 pickup towing a 1 million pound train. The video, however, featured rail cars placed on steel track, which makes it a lot easier for them to be moved as the rolling resistance is substantially lower.

In reality, we expect Ford's electric pickup to have a maximum towing capacity between 11,000 lbs and 14,000 lbs, which is still quite impressive for any pickup.

Since Ford is also one of Rivian's investors along with Amazon, the lower limit estimation for F-150 Electric's towing capacity is based on the maximum towing capacity of Rivian R1T which is also 11,000 lbs. However, Ford might want to match Tesla's towing capacity and improve its offering before launch." ~ source

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder how the R1T's max towing capacity will compare to other electric pickup trucks, like the Ford F-150 EV and Tesla Cybertruck. Hopefully we'll see improvements to range reduction while towing. Does anyone think Ford and Tesla could do better?

"Tesla's Cybertruck is available in 3 different versions. The base, rear-wheel-drive variant can tow around 7,500 lbs, followed by the dual-motor version, which can tow about 10,000 lbs. The more powerful the tri-motor model will be capable of towing over 14,000 lbs, according to Tesla. Cybertruck can also carry 3,500 lbs of maximum payload.

In Ford's promotional video, the automaker showed the electric F-150 pickup towing a 1 million pound train. The video, however, featured rail cars placed on steel track, which makes it a lot easier for them to be moved as the rolling resistance is substantially lower.

In reality, we expect Ford's electric pickup to have a maximum towing capacity between 11,000 lbs and 14,000 lbs, which is still quite impressive for any pickup.

Since Ford is also one of Rivian's investors along with Amazon, the lower limit estimation for F-150 Electric's towing capacity is based on the maximum towing capacity of Rivian R1T which is also 11,000 lbs. However, Ford might want to match Tesla's towing capacity and improve its offering before launch." ~ source
I think Ford could do better since pickups are their bread and butter. I don't think the Cybertruck will do better because it's not really being designed as a proper work truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts