Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to Rivian "This version of the R1T [Adventure Package] will have a manual liftgate." I doubt its what anyone expected early on but patents of the tailgate did show a manual function was available.

·
Registered
904 Posts
According to Rivian "This version of the R1T [Adventure Package] will have a manual liftgate." I doubt its what anyone expected early on but patents of the tailgate did show a manual function was available.
My question is, does it mean that it's automatic and will also have a manual mode? Or does it mean that it's only manual?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My question is, does it mean that it's automatic and will also have a manual mode? Or does it mean that it's only manual?
I took the message as the tailgate will be 100% manual. If true, I hope it becomes an option.

The powered tailgate available on the other trim should have a manual mode if for whatever reason there's no power.

·
Registered
672 Posts
From my understanding Rivian will not be offering an automatic tailgate due to "cost and complexity".

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From my understanding Rivian will not be offering an automatic tailgate due to "cost and complexity".
Would anyone here be willing to absorb some of that cost if it was an additional $1000?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not only for the tailgate. But I’d be willing to spend a little more (maybe $2,500) if we got EVERYTHING they originally demonstrated.
Agreed.
If someone from Rivian is reading this, please include it as part of a tech upgrade package, or something along those lines. We should get a better deal that way too versus it being an individual option.

But what else should it be paired with in a package?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Agreed.
If someone from Rivian is reading this, please include it as part of a tech upgrade package, or something along those lines. We should get a better deal that way too versus it being an individual option.

But what else should it be paired with in a package?
180 degree tailgate or at least some steps to get into the bed from the rear. Rear proximity sensor for tailgate. Ability to drop tailgate electrically from incontainment screen, key FOB, an app.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
467 Posts
Would anyone here be willing to absorb some of that cost if it was an additional $1000?
I would not. Power vs. manual tailgate isn’t really a big deal for me. As a few others have said, I’d almost rather not have it due to being one more electronic thing to break. I definitely wouldn’t pay extra for it.

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
It'll probably take Rivian a while to get up to the offerings that something like a new F150 has; they've refined tech over the years for truck matters like the power tailgates (work pretty good for years here), the trailer reverse option is unique, and the overall functionality/useability of the cabin from storage, ports, cupholders, locations of things, etc.

·
Registered
215 Posts
When I saw the Rivian at Overland way back when they said that they were having trouble with the Tailgate
Then again in Denver same thing
Me and others asked to see it functioning and same response
It's not working
I am fine with a manual Tailgate
It is a TRUCK
But yeah we have lost a lot of goodies
Tailgate & Electric Tint
Not sure about the Fronk?
To bad they made these claims

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
249 Posts
I think part of it was the need to lower cost in order to compete with the Tesla CT.

Do remember that 75k was the base model? Now $67500 is not even the base because it has the midsize battery. The base model will be around 60k. That's a steep price drop. They have to lower cost somewhere.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think part of it was the need to lower cost in order to compete with the Tesla CT.

Do remember that 75k was the base model? Now $67500 is not even the base because it has the midsize battery. The base model will be around 60k. That's a steep price drop. They have to lower cost somewhere.
CT has always advertised fewer features. If Rivian wanted to compete with a new "base" truck then they could have done that without neutering the premium truck that they had already demonstrated.

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
When I saw the Rivian at Overland way back when they said that they were having trouble with the Tailgate
Then again in Denver same thing
Me and others asked to see it functioning and same response
It's not working
I am fine with a manual Tailgate
It is a TRUCK
But yeah we have lost a lot of goodies
Tailgate & Electric Tint
Not sure about the Fronk?
To bad they made these claims
CT has always advertised fewer features. If Rivian wanted to compete with a new "base" truck then they could have done that without neutering the premium truck that they had already demonstrated.
Yeah, we are in process of getting a new 2021 F150, and its damn pricing at 70K about, but I look at what we are getting for Tech/functionality compared to the R1T we also have on order that will run $88K with max pack when done and while I know its an EV/battery that cost more still, it's kinda not a good comparison. Our Ford is loaded with a lot more small tech features that will not be possible with just a software upgrade like glass roof with a retractable shade, power tail gate, trailer tow package, i expect some of the zone lighting, interior locking and work storage space, and more.

I'm a little torn now on the value part of the equation.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, we are in process of getting a new 2021 F150, and its damn pricing at 70K about, but I look at what we are getting for Tech/functionality compared to the R1T we also have on order that will run $88K with max pack when done and while I know its an EV/battery that cost more still, it's kinda not a good comparison. Our Ford is loaded with a lot more small tech features that will not be possible with just a software upgrade like glass roof with a retractable shade, power tail gate, trailer tow package, i expect some of the zone lighting, interior locking and work storage space, and more.

I'm a little torn now on the value part of the equation.
Congrats. Looking forward to your take on the new F-150!

Did you at least test drive on yet?
How did you spec it? Opted for Pro Power OnBoard?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Rivian has a new video out and they show how the tailgate opens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would not. Power vs. manual tailgate isn’t really a big deal for me. As a few others have said, I’d almost rather not have it due to being one more electronic thing to break. I definitely wouldn’t pay extra for it.
Agreed. One more failure point. I've never had a power tail gate and don't know how it would improve my experience with the truck. If my hands are full, I can't use a phone app or keyfob anyway. I know some SUVs have power rear lift doors activated by waving your foot under the bumper. For those of you who do have power tailgate on your current truck what situations have you found it useful and how is it activated?

I could see voice control being useful on rare occasions with full hands. "Hey Rivian, open the tailgate." But I wouldn't pay extra for it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Agreed. One more failure point. I've never had a power tail gate and don't know how it would improve my experience with the truck. If my hands are full, I can't use a phone app or keyfob anyway. I know some SUVs have power rear lift doors activated by waving your foot under the bumper. For those of you who do have power tailgate on your current truck what situations have you found it useful and how is it activated?

I could see voice control being useful on rare occasions with full hands. "Hey Rivian, open the tailgate." But I wouldn't pay extra for it.
I don't have a powered tailgate and I fall into the camp of rather not have it. BUT...I have the "kick to open" feature on my CR-V and absolutely love it. If I were getting an R1S, that is a feature that I would like to see.

As for accessing the truck bed when my hands are full, I normally set the items on the tonneau cover then open the tailgate.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't have a powered tailgate and I fall into the camp of rather not have it. BUT...I have the "kick to open" feature on my CR-V and absolutely love it. If I were getting an R1S, that is a feature that I would like to see.

As for accessing the truck bed when my hands are full, I normally set the items on the tonneau cover then open the tailgate.
I'm surprised how many people are of the mindset "eww power tailgate gross" on the R1T but also admit that the kick-to-open or power tailgate on the R1S is a must-have.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts