Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is planning on getting the optional spare wheel on their R1T?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The R1T will come with a full size spare if your state mandates it. Otherwise you would need to buy a spare.
Same for the R1S, except that it will not be a full size spare tire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
WA allows the sale of vehicles such as the Leaf that do not have spare tires so I assume that I will have to buy one...hopefully not, though. I have not seen an option to add a spare to my current configuration. Should I expect to see that come up?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I do believe that some foreign cars come with a can of fix-o-flat and a compressor.
Since one of the add-on packages adds a compressor to the Truck, maybe that is the route they were thinking. Guess that is ok unless you have a big blowout.
But then again, if I am paying over $60,000 for a vehicle, I kind of expect a reasonable spare tire.

IF it is a full size spare, will it be on matching rims? So, then you can rotate it into the mix of tires. Remember those good ole days? :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wouldn't buy any vehicle without a spare...I have a Kia Niro EV with a donut spare (the r1t will be my 2nd EV). One of the key factors was that the Kia had the spare as an option. Even then, always go full size if you can. I once had to do 100+ interstate highway miles with significant up and down on a 'donut'...emergency blinkers going...restricted speed in the slow lane. White knuckle for sure.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The R1T will come with a full size spare if your state mandates it. Otherwise you would need to buy a spare.
Same for the R1S, except that it will not be a full size spare tire.
Does anyone know if a full size spare can fit in the R1S?
I plan on driving long distance and doubt a donut spare will be ideal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone know if a full size spare can fit in the R1S?
I plan on driving long distance and doubt a donut spare will be ideal.
Seriously ask about this. Having to drive on an interstate in the slow lane down hill with trucks passing you because you are speed limited is not an experience that you want to have...If they let you without loosing your place in the pre-order, consider moving to the R1T for the spare option unless you really need the extra seats. I do know that sometimes a full size will fit even when the default is donut...saw this on an older Honda Ridgeline.

·
Registered
4 Posts
RE: spare tire - I've seen multiple posts that the spare will be included "where states mandate it" ... I'm curious where one finds out what state by state rules are here? I live in CO and did some searching and couldn't find anything specifying rules about spares. If this is Rivian's stance, it would be nice if they published a resource showing what a future owner will get per state laws.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, it would be really good for Rivian to publish a list...even better if they would just provide a spare to everyone. I mean, really, who wants an off-road capable truck with no spare?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I plan to tow and so need a full-size spare, but my state (PA) doesn't mandate that the manufacturer supply one. Seems like Rivian can take afford to throw one in on an $85k vehicle . . .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you ever noticed that it's only the cheap hotels that advertise free wifi? The nice ones know you will pay for it if you want it...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
161 Posts
What he said!
My Tesla Model S was over $100k and did not come with a spare. Doesn’t even have a place for one. It’s becoming more common for cars to not have them. To turn the statement back on the purchaser: “You’re buying and $85,000 truck and complaining about having to spend a couple hundred on a spare that most (road queen) owners don’t want or need?”. Not trying to be a dick, just pointing out that only a percentage of owners will be off-reading in these trucks, and those who aren’t would be apt to use their cell phone vs. a tire wrench if they get a flat. Mine will spend a lot of time offroad, and I’m more than OK buying a spare. Might even be able to pick up a cheap matching one from an owner who decided to go with aftermarket wheels and tires.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts