Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Has this been answered by Rivian? Will the R1T be able to pull a 5th wheel?
It would have to be extremely light. Payload for the R1T is 1764lbs. Once you put 4 people in the truck, that likely reduces it to 1000lbs. For a 5th wheel you need to have 20-25% of the trailer weight on the hitch, so maximum of 5000lb. The truck bed is also aluminum and I am not sure how much structure is under it. Also keep in mind the 5th wheel hitch also takes up payload.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has this been answered by Rivian? Will the R1T be able to pull a 5th wheel?
I pull a 5er toy hauler and would love to see the R1T capable of that...BUT... I couldn’t imagine towing one with such a short bed. @azbill is right, hitch placement is critical.

I have an 8’ bed, cutting that in half would never allow my trailer to be pulled by the R1T.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It would have to be extremely light. Payload for the R1T is 1764lbs. Once you put 4 people in the truck, that likely reduces it to 1000lbs. For a 5th wheel you need to have 20-55% of the trailer weight on the hitch, so maximum of 5000lb. The truck bed is also aluminum and I am not sure how much structure is under it. Also keep in mind the 5th wheel hitch also takes up payload.
My 5er weights 15k (ish) and I have weighed the pin at 3200 pounds (load dependent). Add 100 pounds for the hitch a few hundred pounds of stuff plus my wife and dogs, I need all of my 4200 pound payload capacity!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would have to be extremely light. Payload for the R1T is 1764lbs. Once you put 4 people in the truck, that likely reduces it to 1000lbs. For a 5th wheel you need to have 20-55% of the trailer weight on the hitch, so maximum of 5000lb. The truck bed is also aluminum and I am not sure how much structure is under it. Also keep in mind the 5th wheel hitch also takes up payload.
Thank you so much... was just looking into a possible 5er and now I know to look elsewhere :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts