Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that's interest in seeing how the R1T and the Cybertruck's specs compare to each other, here's a comparison done by The Car Guide.

Size
Both the Cybertruck and R1T are light-duty full-size pickups. The former is a bit larger at 5.9 metres long (19.3 feet), 2.0 metres wide (6.6 feet) and 1.98 metre tall (6.5 feet). The latter measures 5.5 x 2.0 x 1.8 metres (18.0 x 6.6 x 5.9 feet).

Each one sits on an adaptive air suspension that adjusts ground clearance to tackle any terrain. They also have favourable approach and departure angles: 35 and 28 degrees for the Cybertruck, 34 and 30 degrees for the R1T.

Performance
The Cybertruck’s output has not been specified yet, but we know that the tri-motor variant accelerates from 0-60 mph (96 km/h) in just 2.9 seconds. Meanwhile, the R1T uses four separate motors to generate up to 750 horsepower and 829 pound-feet of torque. It takes an extra tenth of a second to finish the same sprint.

Range
Each electric pickup is available in three different configurations. Tesla’s can travel approximately 400, 480 or 800 kilometres (248.5, 298, or 497 miles) with a full charge. Rivian counters with 105-, 135- and 180-kWh batteries, the latter offering around 640 kilometres (397.6 miles) of range.

Payload and Towing
To convince a number of traditional pickup owners to make the switch, these new electric models need to be up to the task when it comes to carrying and pulling heavy loads. The Cybertruck has a payload of 3,500 pounds and a towing capacity of up to 14,000 pounds, which would currently be tops in the segment. The R1T boasts only half the payload (1,760 pounds) and will tow a maximum of 11,000 pounds.

Price
The Tesla Cybertruck is even more spectacular when you consider the base price: $39,900 in the U.S. The top-line model will cost $69,900—a mere $900 over the cheapest Rivian R1T. The latter will go on sale next year, well before its California-based rival (Elon Musk says Tesla has received over 200,000 pre-orders already). In both cases, Canadian prices have yet to be announced.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Here are some good comparisons I came across.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A new graphic was shared by EVBite for each truck's specs.

View attachment 546
While I don’t know about the quality of the driving assist program for the Rivian, I would add $17,500 (10K for full self-driving, and 7.5K for the lack of tax credit) to each level of Cybertruck to truly compare the cost. Biden will probably reduce the tax credit to those making <400K anyway—courtesy of Georgia.

·
Registered
468 Posts
While I don’t know about the quality of the driving assist program for the Rivian, I would add $17,500 (10K for full self-driving, and 7.5K for the lack of tax credit) to each level of Cybertruck to truly compare the cost. Biden will probably reduce the tax credit to those making <400K anyway—courtesy of Georgia.
That's about right for the price for autopilot. I would imagine these prices don't factor in the tax credit for Tesla.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, in NJ sepcifically, there's a $5k EV credit for vehicles less than $55k MSRP. So, Cybertruck qualifies and Rivian does not. Based on that, for the dual motor cybertruck it would be 49,900 - 5k = 44900. Add FSD and you are at $54,900. Compared to $75,000 - $7500 FTC = $67,500. Dual Motor Cybertruck with FSD is $13k less than the Rivian Launch Edition.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not really sure comparing the lowest-specced Cybertruck to the highest-specced Rivian on a cost comparison is a fair comparison, given the differences in feature sets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not really sure comparing the lowest-specced Cybertruck to the highest-specced Rivian on a cost comparison is a fair comparison, given the differences in feature sets.
I wasn't comparing lowest specced Cybertruck. That was the mid range cybertruck so from a range/performance perspective they would be close. The lowest specced cybertruck would be 23k less than a Rivian R1T.

For me in NJ, the dual motor Cybertruck with FSD is what I am looking at against the R1T. And it's $13k less than the R1T Launch Edition.

Only real competition to Rivian IMO. Point of my thread is that with state incentives you "should" be able to get into a Cybertruck for a lot less than a Rivian.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Educated guess based on information from Rivian and Tesla combined with current EV incentives for NJ residents only.
Can’t really know for sure until one or both vehicles are in production. But it’s helpful to know in advance since I’ll have to make a decision on the R1T before the cyber truck is in production most likely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, in NJ sepcifically, there's a $5k EV credit for vehicles less than $55k MSRP. So, Cybertruck qualifies and Rivian does not. Based on that, for the dual motor cybertruck it would be 49,900 - 5k = 44900. Add FSD and you are at $54,900. Compared to $75,000 - $7500 FTC = $67,500. Dual Motor Cybertruck with FSD is $13k less than the Rivian Launch Edition.
Hey Chris, I'm also a Chris from Jersey.

I have a reservation for both of these are well however I've started to hate the cybertruck and love the Rivian. I've been writing to politicians and to NJ Board of Public Utilities to have them include the Rivian and increase the MSRP for the program. So far the responses have been to get EV's into the hands of the middle class and the program does not include luxury. I'm def middle class and the rest of the choices for the program are just way too small.

But to your point, 13K can be massive for someone. We need to get them to include this truck in the program.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every single spec on the Cybertruck is pure speculation. The initial unveiling was a marketing exercise to challenge Rivian IMO. No working prototypes, so stating 0-60 in 2.9 for the tri-motor is a physics equation at best at this point. I think Rivian is underclubbing metrics. If you look at the FAQs on the site, horsepower has gone from 750 to "over 800". They say they always want to underpromise and overdeliver so hopefully we will be in sub-3 0-60

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have a reservation for both of these are well however I've started to hate the cybertruck and love the Rivian. I've been writing to politicians and to NJ Board of Public Utilities to have them include the Rivian and increase the MSRP for the program. So far the responses have been to get EV's into the hands of the middle class and the program does not include luxury. I'm def middle class and the rest of the choices for the program are just way too small.

But to your point, 13K can be massive for someone. We need to get them to include this truck in the program.
that’s funny. I’m in Jackson how about you? I’ll probably end up with the R1T because fit and finish should be better and it should have more luxury amenities which is what I’m looking for. Again all educated guesses but basing my info on my GF’s model Y

Hey Chris. Where in NJ? I’m in Jackson. Going by the model Y I would imagine the R1T will be more luxurious with more amenities. I’ll probably end up with the R1T. I reserved mine in February 2019. Just wanted to point out the financial differences. There are some things about the cyber truck that I really like. Being a Tesla for one and also being all stainless with no paint sounds pretty cool as well. I like the six passenger option as well. I just don’t think I can wait once the R1T starts delivering in June.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Every single spec on the Cybertruck is pure speculation. The initial unveiling was a marketing exercise to challenge Rivian IMO. No working prototypes, so stating 0-60 in 2.9 for the tri-motor is a physics equation at best at this point. I think Rivian is underclubbing metrics. If you look at the FAQs on the site, horsepower has gone from 750 to "over 800". They say they always want to underpromise and overdeliver so hopefully we will be in sub-3 0-60
At this point there’s a lot of speculation on both sides. But I don’t doubt either of them. During these crazy EV times I really only pay attention to Tesla and Rivian.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have reservations for both as well, leaning towards the Rivian but there's still lots to learn before making a final call....and I may just get the CT plus an R1S. I'm not too excited about the recent disclosure of no door handles in the CT, as I imagine it could be a death trap in a crash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts