Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a straightforward comparison video that Business Insider did with the R1T and the Cybertruck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over at TFL cars they have a Model X that's getting a highway range of 325 miles. Very good! But they've been towing with a small trailer, and that range has fallen to 110 miles.That means about an hour-and-a-half of driving and an hour of charging, since the charge must go past 80% battery, where the charging rate slows down. If this holds true for the Cybertruck, the 500 mile range version would have it's towing-range fall to about 170 miles. And even with 250 kW charging, it would still take an hour to fill up the big battery necessary for it's 500 mile non-towing-range, plus going past 80% battery.

I'm sure this all holds true for the R1T as well. I would say that if you need to tow, not to buy an electric car/truck. I don't need to tow myself, so it doesn't apply to me.

Great explanation of this at Engineering Explained.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Over at TFL cars they have a Model X that's getting a highway range of 325 miles. Very good! But they've been towing with a small trailer, and that range has fallen to 110 miles.That means about an hour-and-a-half of driving and an hour of charging, since the charge must go past 80% battery, where the charging rate slows down. If this holds true for the Cybertruck, the 500 mile range version would have it's towing-range fall to about 170 miles. And even with 250 kW charging, it would still take an hour to fill up the big battery necessary for it's 500 mile non-towing-range, plus going past 80% battery.

I'm sure this all holds true for the R1T as well. I would say that if you need to tow, not to but an electric car/truck. I don't need to tow myself, so it doesn't apply to me.

Great explanation of this at Engineering Explained.

That's a staggering drop. I don't plant on towing much, if at all, but this is critical information for anyone that's planning on doing it.

Engineering Explained is such a good YouTube channel, thanks for sharing it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts