Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have only seen pictures of this for the R1T, I hope they also offer a roof top for the R1S. Never had a tent like that, I assume it would just be a different ladder?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can someone explain the appeal of this? Why would you want to have your tent above the truck bed? All I can come up with is that you aren't at a campsite and shouldn't be camping there - although I would think this is still considered camping - or the ground isn't suitable for a tent.
Looking at similar tents meant for other pick ups they cost ~$2500, so I expect that will be the starting price for this accessory. Seems like I can get one heck of a nice normal tent for much less. And no ladder to deal with or lifting your dog into/out of the tent.
What's the appeal?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Can someone explain the appeal of this? Why would you want to have your tent above the truck bed? All I can come up with is that you aren't at a campsite and shouldn't be camping there - although I would think this is still considered camping - or the ground isn't suitable for a tent.
Looking at similar tents meant for other pick ups they cost ~$2500, so I expect that will be the starting price for this accessory. Seems like I can get one heck of a nice normal tent for much less. And no ladder to deal with or lifting your dog into/out of the tent.
What's the appeal?
My wife refuses to use a tent that's on the ground. We've rented cabins at campsites, in the past, to appease her. I showed her the bed-mounted-tent and she said she'd actually be okay with that. So that's a big plus, for me, since it opens up a lot of locations where there are no cabins to rent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife refuses to use a tent that's on the ground. We've rented cabins at campsites, in the past, to appease her. I showed her the bed-mounted-tent and she said she'd actually be okay with that. So that's a big plus, for me, since it opens up a lot of locations where there are no cabins to rent.
Huh. What's she worried about? Bugs? Animals? Water if it starts to rain hard? I've never even considered that. Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
1: It sets up and packs up faster than a regular tent.
2: There's a lot of places where you can offroad that you don't have the space to drop a tent on the ground, unless you want to spend half your night clearing it.
2a: Even if you've cleared well (esp if you did it in the dark) it only takes one pointy stick to punch a hole in the bottom of your tent.
3: Being up off the ground makes you safer in very remote places where you could encounter larger predators.
4: Being off the ground gives you potential thermal advantages depending on the season/location.
5: Being off the ground means you aren't contending with water/mud in the event of rain.

There's other reasons as well. I wouldn't say an over-bed tent is the best solution in every case, but there are a lot of situations where it is very advantageous, especially if you're doing longer overlanding trips in wilder places.

·
Registered
71 Posts
All I can come up with is that you aren't at a campsite and shouldn't be camping there - although I would think this is still considered camping - or the ground isn't suitable for a tent.
Just because you're not in a "campground" with pre-cleared tent pads and running water doesn't mean you shouldn't be camping somewhere. Dispersed camping is generally allowed pretty much anywhere on USFS and BLM land. A rooftop tent also opens up terrain that isn't flat or soft enough for a ground tent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As someone that works in the rack industry and the company that created this on, it allows you the ability to get out and camp anywhere!! Though there are some that are expensive, $2500.00 on average is over stated. Go to www.yakima.com and check out tents. I promise you your wife will appreciate you for it!! We also have cool options that come we it!! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have only seen pictures of this for the R1T, I hope they also offer a roof top for the R1S. Never had a tent like that, I assume it would just be a different ladder?
Nope, same ladder 🪜 for the RS1. You should be able to lower suspension to make it work.
Its a great concept and with a Rivian, its completely AWESOME!! 👌

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to make a lot of long solo runs up into the White Mountains of NH, in a P/U with a cab. Often times, we would arrive in the dark and converge at a camp area with sites the were full, so we would have to squeeze in to spots. The wind can be howling at Mt Washington (home to the world's worst weather) and temps at night can plummet. This was also before the full on advent of "Van Life"... We had all built platforms for gear storage in the beds of our trucks, so we would simply find a spot to park, hop into our sleeping bags on top of the gear storage and under the cab, and if we were lucky we would have an air mattress or futon mattress in the back of the truck too. Some of the best night sleeps I have ever had in my life came in the back of the truck. Lots of utility for a Rivian tent to do the same. Just remember, if the trucks a rocking don;t come knocking.

The other potentially more awesome thing about this, is that there could be an indication that the bed rails for the Rivian were thoughtfully designed with partners like Yakima in mind for super simple and solid attachment points. Yakima makes a HD system that works with tonneau covers too. I have no idea what will be possible when we take delivery, but I could see some awesome utility for something like this in the back of my Rivian: OutPost HD (Towers Only)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am planning on a similar set up, but with a possible ski box requirement in winter (depending on the length of many different ski sizes fitting (or not fitting) into the Rivian bed on a diagonal under the tonneau. One of the only things that makes a ski box and tent configuration challenging, is that you cannot mount a ski box above a soft-top roof box tent like this. There are companies that make "clam shell" hard-top tents, which also accept racks and boxes on top. Again, without seeing this truck in person and taking some measurements, its hard to say what will work best for different configurations with accessories.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I am planning on a similar set up, but with a possible ski box requirement in winter (depending on the length of many different ski sizes fitting (or not fitting) into the Rivian bed on a diagonal under the tonneau. One of the only things that makes a ski box and tent configuration challenging, is that you cannot mount a ski box above a soft-top roof box tent like this. There are companies that make "clam shell" hard-top tents, which also accept racks and boxes on top. Again, without seeing this truck in person and taking some measurements, its hard to say what will work best for different configurations with accessories.
Are there any particular brands you'd go with for a ski box or clam shell tent?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Is this the forest green?
It is and the one in the first post is Launch Green.

I recommend going through this thread that covers a lot of good points on telling the two apart:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts