Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must say, so far the Rivian is definitely my go-to electric pickup truck (will also be interesting to see the Ford Lightning). But I want to see how well it will do up North in Canada. Living in the Montreal area as well as in the Laurentides, I must say that I have some serious questions regarding really important details:

- How well the Rivian will go through winter? With the price range of a highly luxury vehicle, I would want to own that vehicle for a minimum of 10 years if not more. (right now I own a 2012 Ridgeline and the environment as left it's mark) I really hope they wont go through the painful mistakes Tesla did.

- How much the cold affect the range. Not sure if the R1T is already equipped with a heatpump like many other brand are starting to put on their vehicle. You can at least pre-condition the batteries so you don't lose as much range over really cold temps (often in the -10C to -20C range).

- What is the real Tow range under the max load. I have a boat, although the entire package is around 5000lbs, I'm curious to see how far the R1T can go under load ( I understand multiple factors comes in play ).

All in all, really excited to see the R1T finally hit the roads!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Our NY winters aren't nearly as cold as yours, but as an EV owner since 2012 I would guesstimate from my experience you will see 30% minimum and up to 50% range loss under extreme conditions.

One thing I've learned over the years is to pre-condition the cab to a really high temp like say 85F for 15-20miin while still plugged in to shore power that way when running on battery your climate control load is minimal since all the interior surfaces are toasty warm already vs. cold soaked.

Towing will depend on speed, elevation and of course load. I also tow a boat.. 3,500lbs, but it's less than 5miles to the ramp, so range isn't a factor here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our NY winters aren't nearly as cold as yours, but as an EV owner since 2012 I would guesstimate from my experience you will see 30% minimum and up to 50% range loss under extreme conditions.

One thing I've learned over the years is to pre-condition the cab to a really high temp like say 85F for 15-20miin while still plugged in to shore power that way when running on battery your climate control load is minimal since all the interior surfaces are toasty warm already vs. cold soaked.

Towing will depend on speed, elevation and of course load. I also tow a boat.. 3,500lbs, but it's less than 5miles to the ramp, so range isn't a factor here.
Interesting. Can you preset times for heat to turn on? Let’s say I get up at 5:00 am and want to leave at 5:30 AM, can the heat be preset (like an alarm) while still plugged in to automatically turn on in the morning or will that be something I’ll need to incorporate into my morning routine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.