Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the email to go check my configuration because new options were made available. But when I went it to check I find that my launch edition R1S (ordered May of 2019) no longer included the off road package and no longer included a spare tire. Why would Rivian delete the options I wanted? I understand if they want to allow people to save money but they could just let me know I can delete options, not preemptively delete them and make me go back in and put them back in? Especially when we all fear that any configuration changes will make us lose our place in line......

Also, there are no accessible recovery points on the R1S without the off road package (according to chat)? So if you get stuck in the snow you are screwed.....makes no sense to me that there are not accessible recovery points
(like screw in a tow hook) for a vehicle that touts itself to the overland community? Apparently the community forums feedback said they didn't want these options....so I joined the forum here to voice my concerns.

So I went back in and added the now inflatable spare tire option and the off road package. I hope I didn't lose my place in line.

Feels like a little bit of drama at Rivian, I hope they get this stuff ironed out soon.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There's no screw-in tow hook because you can't tow an EV that way, it can damage the motors.

Tow hooks are not your only recovery options in the event of being stuck in snow. Get some maxtrax and you'll be fine.

As for removing options when they updated the configurator, I can see it both ways. Regardless, when your guide reaches out you'll have an opportunity to update your config before purchasing, so I'm not sure it's really a big deal.

If they were removing LE reservations, sure, but a few options? Eh, not a big deal in my opinion, just a minor inconvenience in some cases.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You're in exactly the same place you were before. They simply separated out the off-road package and reduced the base price by the same amount. Lets the not-quite-adventurers save a few shekels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's no screw-in tow hook because you can't tow an EV that way, it can damage the motors.

Tow hooks are not your only recovery options in the event of being stuck in snow. Get some maxtrax and you'll be fine.

As for removing options when they updated the configurator, I can see it both ways. Regardless, when your guide reaches out you'll have an opportunity to update your config before purchasing, so I'm not sure it's really a big deal.

If they were removing LE reservations, sure, but a few options? Eh, not a big deal in my opinion, just a minor inconvenience in some cases.
Recovery points are critical part of driving generally, off roading in particular. But to make them inaccessible is my concern. All vehicles should have a recovery point in front and rear that you can access in emergencies. On most vehicles you have to pop out a little piece of plastic bumper and then twist in a eye screw and you are all set. The chat folks didn’t know if there are recovery points without the off road package. Wondering if someone here knows?

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you need off-road recovery points, get the off-road package and you'll have tow hooks in the front.

I don't feel like recovery points are a critical part of non-offroad driving. In all my years I've never once needed to use a recovery point while on pavement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you need off-road recovery points, get the off-road package and you'll have tow hooks in the front.

I don't feel like recovery points are a critical part of non-offroad driving. In all my years I've never once needed to use a recovery point while on pavement.
Yes, I went in and added the off road package back in. When we met with RJ about the Rivian (many years ago), it was about developing a capable vehicle for adventures. Recovery points are a necessary part of any adventure and certainly all the Rivian competitors have them. When a company deletes accessibility to something so simple, yet so important to their build, it causes a little bit of concern for those of us who want more than a simple eSUV.

·
Registered
209 Posts
They didn't delete anything. They made it optional for LE holders. How is that not a good thing? Not every person buying an R1T or R1S wants to offroad or adventure with it, regardless of whether Rivian markets them as adventure vehicles or not.

I still don't see why you are concerned at all. It sounds like you were always going to want the offroad package, and you still have it, and no pricing has changed. What's the problem?

·
Registered
272 Posts
They did send out emails this morning suggesting that reservation holders review configurations. This is genuinely a harmless change. You're in the same position as before. The only real change is that all configurations now have an air compressor included at no extra cost, so if you want to gripe then you've lost an incremental advantage overall - but still no real harm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They didn't delete anything. They made it optional for LE holders. How is that not a good thing? Not every person buying an R1T or R1S wants to offroad or adventure with it, regardless of whether Rivian markets them as adventure vehicles or not.

I still don't see why you are concerned at all. It sounds like you were always going to want the offroad package, and you still have it, and no pricing has changed. What's the problem?
The off road package was selected on my build sheet; it was removed and I had to go back in and add it. Rivian should not have changed my build sheet, that's issue one (Rivian has confirmed this was a bad decision and many people have complained and they are addressing this issue). Issue 2 is that I would like to see accessible recovery points even if I didn't have the off road package; Rivian advertises they build adventure ready/capable vehicles and when meeting/speaking the engineers there, it was clear that was their intention. So if they are now eliminating options that make the vehicles less capable, why? It doesn't matter if some people will never use them, what matters is how the engineers are developing the vehicle and what constraints they are being put under.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I didn't see any issue with my R1S pre-order and updating my configuration after the email blast this morning.

I do agree that it would make sense to have the front shackles available for non-offroad packages, but don't think it makes the rig any less capable by not having them. Access to the underlying framehorns (or whatever the skateboard frame nomenclature is) should remain... it doesn't make sense to have different frames or front facsia based on the selected package. My guess is you're are correct there will be a removable panel to access those anchor points much like the panel covering the reciever hitch. And voila... bolt on OEM or Aftermarket as you please

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just a point of clarification...Rivian literally brags about their tow-charge capability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The off road package was selected on my build sheet; it was removed and I had to go back in and add it. Rivian should not have changed my build sheet, that's issue one (Rivian has confirmed this was a bad decision and many people have complained and they are addressing this issue). Issue 2 is that I would like to see accessible recovery points even if I didn't have the off road package; Rivian advertises they build adventure ready/capable vehicles and when meeting/speaking the engineers there, it was clear that was their intention. So if they are now eliminating options that make the vehicles less capable, why? It doesn't matter if some people will never use them, what matters is how the engineers are developing the vehicle and what constraints they are being put under.
I personally have no problem saving $2000 because I don't need what you think is required. You have added it back and absolutely nothing has changed for you.

And if you think going back to the configurator and changing your build sheet creates such a need to complain about it on a forum, then you should revisit your priorities.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
I personally have no problem saving $2000 because I don't need what you think is required. You have added it back and absolutely nothing has changed for you.

And if you think going back to the configurator and changing your build sheet creates such a need to complain about it on a forum, then you should revisit your priorities.
Nice first post. Attack right out of the gate. Hopefully this is not indicative of how you plan to interact here. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the email to go check my configuration because new options were made available. But when I went it to check I find that my launch edition R1S (ordered May of 2019) no longer included the off road package and no longer included a spare tire. Why would Rivian delete the options I wanted? I understand if they want to allow people to save money but they could just let me know I can delete options, not preemptively delete them and make me go back in and put them back in? Especially when we all fear that any configuration changes will make us lose our place in line......

Also, there are no accessible recovery points on the R1S without the off road package (according to chat)? So if you get stuck in the snow you are screwed.....makes no sense to me that there are not accessible recovery points
(like screw in a tow hook) for a vehicle that touts itself to the overland community? Apparently the community forums feedback said they didn't want these options....so I joined the forum here to voice my concerns.

So I went back in and added the now inflatable spare tire option and the off road package. I hope I didn't lose my place in line.

Feels like a little bit of drama at Rivian, I hope they get this stuff ironed out soon.
I was informed by Rivian that there are recovery points in the rear without the off road package. The off road package adds recovery points to the front. You may want to double check this with Rivian.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had originally configured it with O/R, but with their revised base specs I've decided to pass on that upgrade...truthfully, I'll never use it. I'll be in snow, but not dirt and rocks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts