Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find information on the R1S and R1T will use regenerative braking but I haven't found much aside from the fact that they will have regen braking. Based on some of the other EVs that are on the market, there's a couple of ways that Rivian can approach regen braking.

Rivian could set up their trucks like Tesla does and allow people to use "one-pedal driving" where as soon as you take your foot off the pedal the regen braking kicks in and you start to slow down.

Or they could use a system like Porsche uses on the Taycan EV where the regen braking only activates when you push the brake pedal. This allows for coasting to make the drive as efficient as possible.

Personally I hope Rivian doesn't have one-pedal driving. I don't see it working well for and off-road driving. If anyone has info on Rivian's regenerative braking system please add it below.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Tesla MS, the single pedal regeneration braking works really well. I have also driven the Bolt that has the hand paddle on the steering wheel. I much prefer the Tesla single pedal system as it becomes very intuitive and quickly is part of your driving "style".

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Tesla MS, the single pedal regeneration braking works really well. I have also driven the Bolt that has the hand paddle on the steering wheel. I much prefer the Tesla single pedal system as it becomes very intuitive and quickly is part of your driving "style".
a hand paddle seems much more complicated than using one-pedal driving. So you use the paddle while you're braking?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hand paddle is independent of the brakes and accelerator. You can pull the paddle and feather the acellerator to reduce the amount of regeneration...
Did you use the hand paddle a lot when you drove the bolt? Or did you stick to using the brake pedal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I drove a friends bolt, it was about a year after I bought the Tesla. I was much more into using regenerative braking than the pedal. It becomes addictive on seeing how much you can NOT touch the brakes!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drove a friends bolt, it was about a year after I bought the Tesla. I was much more into using regenerative braking than the pedal. It becomes addictive on seeing how much you can NOT touch the brakes!
I can see why that would be addicting. Great way to challenge yourself to get as much range as possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad someone else is thinking about this issue. I haven't heard anything about being able to turn off the auto regeneration braking. Can you do that on Teslas or better yet adjust it ? That might be a great feature to have since the Rivian is being pushed as both an offload and of course online vehicle it might need more options in this category. I could see going down steep hills with auto regenerate on might be like having a truck in 4 wheel low in first or 2nd gear. It could help to slow you down without using the break pedal. In other places with a lot of bumps you might prefer to have it off since being jostled around might make it harder to feather the gas pedal. I will bet their offload testing dept has considered this. For onroad an adjustable regenerative brake system would please more folks who could configure their ride to their taste. How about it Rivian ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad someone else is thinking about this issue. I haven't heard anything about being able to turn off the auto regeneration braking. Can you do that on Teslas or better yet adjust it ? That might be a great feature to have since the Rivian is being pushed as both an offload and of course online vehicle it might need more options in this category. I could see going down steep hills with auto regenerate on might be like having a truck in 4 wheel low in first or 2nd gear. It could help to slow you down without using the break pedal. In other places with a lot of bumps you might prefer to have it off since being jostled around might make it harder to feather the gas pedal. I will bet their offload testing dept has considered this. For onroad an adjustable regenerative brake system would please more folks who could configure their ride to their taste. How about it Rivian ?
From my understanding Porsche has it set up on the Taycan where the regen braking is controlled with the brake pedal. Most of the actual braking is regen and only in immediate/extreme cases are the actual brakes used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts