Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Statistics show that a very small percentage of SUVs as well as Trucks setup for Off-Roading ever see any Off-Road activity. The majority will be daily commuting vehicles to work and the mall. I include myself in this group as I have own multiple SUVs from a Jeep Wagoneer in the 80's, The best being Toyota LandCruiser and 4-Runner in the 90's, and the WORST a Range Rover and Mercedes GL63 AMG in early to recent 2000's. Just before the announcement of the Rivian, I returned to the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with the HEMI and the complete luxury and towing package. Other than pulling a trailer maybe 3 or 4 days a year, I would like a vehicle that's very reliable, comfortable and stylish with large sport wheels and tires, maybe a 24 inch. A good lighting package and most importantly the LARGEST BATTERY (180khw) PACKAGE for towing and road trips, as I have become less of a fan of air travel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Couldn't agree more and in fact, I started a thread on the R1S sub-forum called "The most important option" about the Max (180kWh) battery package.

I too will be towing long-distances and to some rather remote areas, so range is key. Last Thurs, I emailed Rivian customer service emphasizing this and asking some specific questions about the Max battery package as it relates to the R1S I pre-ordered. I will post Rivian's response if and when I receive it.

While I understand that the Max is available now on the R1T, I don't really want a pickup truck. If I'm forced to go with a truck, I will instead opt for the tri-motor CyberTruck which has a 500+ mi range and is substantially less expensive even after adding the FSD option and taking the Federal tax credit into account.

Hopefully, the Max will be available for delivery with my R1S in 2022.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're concerned about max range, towing, off road ability, ride, or even looks IMO (admittedly subjective), 24 inch wheels aren't the way to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're concerned about max range, towing, off road ability, ride, or even looks IMO (admittedly subjective), 24 inch wheels aren't the way to go.
Never been a fan of large-diameter wheels myself and can understand why they are not helpful for towing or for off road use, but wouldn't their stiffness and decreased rolling resistance actually help to increase range? I'm not sure what it meant by a "lighting package" but assuming we're talking about exterior downlighting, this would surely eat up some amperage though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Never been a fan of large-diameter wheels myself and can understand why they are not helpful for towing or for off road use, but wouldn't their stiffness and decreased rolling resistance actually help to increase range? I'm not sure what it meant by a "lighting package" but assuming we're talking about exterior downlighting, this would surely eat up some amperage though.
Larger wheels generally weigh more, and all else being equal, result in lower efficiency & range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts