Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Sky

I am a huge fan of my Rivian RT1. I ordered it in September of 2019. Waited what seemed to be 100 years and it was delivered April 2022. I have almost 9k on it. It’s been everything I’ve wanted in a truck and sports car. I’ve added an awning to it and various other add-on.
With great sadness I have to say a deer smashed into the front while driving back from Houston to Austin. Nobody was hurt. The truck absorbed the blow with little impact felt inside.
Car Vehicle Hood Grille Automotive lighting

It was a large doe that came out of nowhere. I pulled over and checked the damage. I was able to drive just fine for about 30 miles. Then the truck told me to pull over and park. It then stoped and put itself in park with no way of moving it again with a disabled- service truck. As it was on a major Highway with a great deal of traffic going 80 mph in the dark, I exited the truck for safety after trying for a minute to put it in neutral. No success. I called Rivian Road Side and they said to call 911. I did and had a great experience with the Sheriff and two really nice guys from the city or county to help move it. They couldn’t figure it out as they know less about it than I do. This was their first Rivian experience. After about 30 minutes, I found in the manual the park break release in the menu under vehicle. It released the brake (neutral) and we pushed it to the side of the road. A tow truck came and now it’s at their yard waiting for insurance and the body shop. This happened last night (Oct 21st) so we will see how it goes. I have a great concern that I will be going without my Rivian for sometime now and a greater fear they will total it. I do not want to wait another year for my truck. Depressed is an understatement.

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
76 Posts
Of course better to have the deer go through the radiator than the windshield. The Munro teardown makes it look like the crash and impact absorption of the closed front is not meant to be repairable, but you're about to find out.
Rivian must move quickly to have a "just keep going" button and known control sequence. (e.g. holding the gear selector in D while pumping the brake pedal five times) … something to say "yes, there's a problem, but it's only going to get worse if I don't drive away from this freeway traffic / forest fire / flash flood" … and that's just F scenarios. : )

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course better to have the deer go through the radiator than the windshield. The Munro teardown makes it look like the crash and impact absorption of the closed front is not meant to be repairable, but you're about to find out.
Rivian must move quickly to have a "just keep going" button and known control sequence. (e.g. holding the gear selector in D while pumping the brake pedal five times) … something to say "yes, there's a problem, but it's only going to get worse if I don't drive away from this freeway traffic / forest fire / flash flood" … and that's just F scenarios. : )
So you believe it’s totaled?

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
76 Posts
So you believe it’s totaled?
I don't have an opinion one way or the other. If it were my car, I'd be tempted to have it repaired. If it was a Tesla, I'd probably prefer to see it go and get another one because Tesla still doesn't know how to repair a blown fuse, let alone paint a panel. : )
If the fenders are undamaged, it could be "bolt on" stuff and there should be repair points where the front subframe and assemblies can be detached and new parts installed/welded/glued/sealed as per factory spec, literally "good as new." I've been through this with Porsches for customers. The insurance adjuster will listen to the owner "I don't want it back" or "see if you can get it back together, I can't replace it" within the scope of what they can write. They'll also look at Rivian to ask how long it will take for parts availability and they'll need the repairer to get information from Rivian and the repairability. Given the physics of say a 400lb deer at say 70 mph, you have to imagine this could involve a lot of light stuff, but I doubt it got anywhere into the heavy stuff (chassis, frame, drive module. If it's an unlucky path to the death of the animal, I'd say the steering could be compromised, but that one photo looks like the usual deer strike stuff … a laundry list of 100-200 parts, hopefully all in stock for collision repair and available in 3-5 days while they tear down and assess for any hidden trouble. This also assume the vehicle didn't self-destruct in some other way (the equivalent of an engine that kept running 30 seconds too long after loosing oil pressure.) Teslas have vulnerabilities in the cooling system where connectors cannot be repaired at the pack, at least not without excessive cost. It's going to be part of the early adopter experience for you and Rivian to work through this repair. As I think about it, I'd expect Rivian to want to proceed with the repair. Maybe you can work with them on a loaner because the duration of the repair is 100% their responsibility – the repairer is not expected to know how to get this job done. They have the skills, equipment, resources, but nobody has the years of experience to be saying "oh gee, another front clip for an R1T, put it over there with the others" … : )

· Registered
1,361 Posts
View attachment 8549
View attachment 8548
I am a huge fan of my Rivian RT1. I ordered it in September of 2019. Waited what seemed to be 100 years and it was delivered April 2022. I have almost 9k on it. It’s been everything I’ve wanted in a truck and sports car. I’ve added an awning to it and various other add-on.
With great sadness I have to say a deer smashed into the front while driving back from Houston to Austin. Nobody was hurt. The truck absorbed the blow with little impact felt inside. View attachment 8547

It was a large doe that came out of nowhere. I pulled over and checked the damage. I was able to drive just fine for about 30 miles. Then the truck told me to pull over and park. It then stoped and put itself in park with no way of moving it again with a disabled- service truck. As it was on a major Highway with a great deal of traffic going 80 mph in the dark, I exited the truck for safety after trying for a minute to put it in neutral. No success. I called Rivian Road Side and they said to call 911. I did and had a great experience with the Sheriff and two really nice guys from the city or county to help move it. They couldn’t figure it out as they know less about it than I do. This was their first Rivian experience. After about 30 minutes, I found in the manual the park break release in the menu under vehicle. It released the brake (neutral) and we pushed it to the side of the road. A tow truck came and now it’s at their yard waiting for insurance and the body shop. This happened last night (Oct 21st) so we will see how it goes. I have a great concern that I will be going without my Rivian for sometime now and a greater fear they will total it. I do not want to wait another year for my truck. Depressed is an understatement.
Sorry to hear about your accident @DylanDeAustin. Glad to hear everyone is ok though. Since the airbags didn't deploy you might have a chance to get it repaired and not get it totalled. Keep us posted with what you hear from your insurance and Rivian.

· Registered
4 Posts
If it’s any consolation, I got my R1T back in March and within 9 days had gotten backed into in a parking lot and needed the rear roll pan and quarter panel (which is really like a half panel) replaced. It took me about 6 weeks just to get an appointment (but it was still drivable) at the shop in El Segundo, they looked at it for 30 seconds and sent me to Jim and Jacks collision center (about a mile down the street) where all their body work is done (Tesla sends theirs there also). The shop has to wait about 5 weeks for the parts to arrive and then it took them about 3 weeks to disassemble the damaged bumper and reinstall a new one with all the sensors replaced. They ended up repairing and repainting the existing quarter panel. All in all it looks just like new and I’ve not had any issues since the repair… but be prepared to wait a while for parts in my experience.

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
76 Posts
Teslas no longer have fuses, because fuses are obsolete :). BTW Tesla replaced my wife's whole rear subframe when she hit a curb, took them less than a day.
It would be possible to "swap" the rear of a Y or a 3 in a day. Rather major surgery for an S or X. Still amazing to hear of Tesla Collision getting anything done in a day.
(I'm assuming they worked on your car, not your wife. : )

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am also curious how insurance will deal with it. Heard max rental is for 30 days and these if planned to be fixed, will take many months....
I do not plan on obtaining a rental. I still have my car from before the rivian. I had an exterior cosmetic part that needed to be fix however the part was back ordered for months. It came in last week…

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 8549
View attachment 8548
With great sadness I have to say a deer smashed into the front while driving back from Houston to Austin. Nobody was hurt. The truck absorbed the blow with little impact felt inside. View attachment 8547

**update. Truck is being towed to authorized body shop. Rivian called me today after seeing this post. They seem very willing to help in anyway which is nice. I asked about reasonable expectations and they confirmed it would be 2-4 months depending on how the insurance takes it based on their past examples. Once the insurance accepts (1 month), then the parts are about 2 weeks then the fun starts at the shop. I’m sure the shop is great however this will be new for them and take extra time (2 months). This is in-line with my expectations as post COVID it takes 6 months to get a coffee. Will update when I hear more.

· Registered
R1T Launch Edition
76 Posts
**update. Truck is being towed to authorized body shop. Rivian called me today after seeing this post. They seem very willing to help in anyway which is nice. I asked about reasonable expectations and they confirmed it would be 2-4 months depending on how the insurance takes it based on their past examples. Once the insurance accepts (1 month), then the parts are about 2 weeks then the fun starts at the shop. I’m sure the shop is great however this will be new for them and take extra time (2 months). This is in-line with my expectations as post COVID it takes 6 months to get a coffee. Will update when I hear more.
(1) I hope they agree you get a loaner and it's up to them to get this repair turned around
(2) You got coffee in less than six months, what?!

Thanks for the update. Really curious to see how this plays out. Pics. Vids. At every opportunity. Please. : )

And ask them to fit a winch while they're putting all that back together!

· Registered
23 Posts
View attachment 8549
View attachment 8548

So sorry to hear this sad news and I'm glad you are all safe. You were smart to reference the manual for info. regarding the parking brake. I took my R1T to a local fire department for fire safety training and they were asking all the right questions. Not sure we addressed the parking brake so I'm going to send them a message as a heads up. I hope you can get that beauty fixed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts