Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rivian is planning to add a solar roof panel.

Back in August 2019 it was tweeted from the official Rivian account that "multiple roof styles including electrochromic glass (which turns from opaque to transparent on demand), a fixed glass panel, a two-piece removable composite roof and a standard fixed roof" will be available.

Although the confirmation of it happen is great, how Rivian includes solar panels throughout its vehicles is unclear. I can see how an entire solar roof assembly of the same dimensions as the electrochromic glass will be offered. Eventually they might need to do something else as well.

A roof that opens up like the Fisker Ocean would be nice and/or a bed panel option.

1577142780234.png

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rivian is planning to add a solar roof panel.
Perhaps my brain is shutting down early for the holidays but it's not clear in your OP on what this is based on. What's the source that makes this claim that Rivian will be adding a solar roof panel option?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps my brain is shutting down early for the holidays but it's not clear in your OP on what this is based on. What's the source that makes this claim that Rivian will be adding a solar roof panel option?
I take them saying "multiple roof styles including..." as a hint towards the possibility of solar happening, although a few non-solar options were already mentioned in the tweet. And thinking about it from the business side of things, Rivian can better utilize solar panels than Ocean.

Why not utilize that real estate and especially on an adventure vehicle with the possibility of 'jerry cans' that can also benefit from solar panels? Considering that, its actually a better business case here than it is for Fisker.

There's just no way they glossed over the possibility of solar in development of existing options.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm sure Rivian has and probably will continue to look into the possibility of solar but I've read or heard nothing from Rivian hinting at all about using solar, certainly nothing is "implied" by that tweet back in August. Rivian, to date, has only announced four roof styles. Back in October when Rivian held their event in Normal I had spoken to quite a few of the Rivian reps and engineers on various topics, one of which was the roof options, they continued to say there will be only 4 options, nothing solar.

That said, currently solar technology "at best" will only add a few miles of range. I've read from a lot people say that's fine if it can cancel out the battery drain that occurs while the vehicle is parked. On the other hand this has to be weighed against the other uses for the roof like for storage, especially on the R1S.

Sure, anything is possible. Is it probable? I doubt it, but who knows. It certainly does not warrant making the statement "Rivian is planning to add a solar roof panel. " Spreading speculation where there has been virtually no indication from Rivian only clouds their offerings with pure conjecture which there is already enough of that going around.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm sure Rivian has and probably will continue to look into the possibility of solar but I've read or heard nothing from Rivian hinting at all about using solar, certainly nothing is "implied" by that tweet back in August. Rivian, to date, has only announced four roof styles. Back in October when Rivian held their event in Normal I had spoken to quite a few of the Rivian reps and engineers on various topics, one of which was the roof options, they continued to say there will be only 4 options, nothing solar.

That said, currently solar technology "at best" will only add a few miles of range. I've read from a lot people say that's fine if it can cancel out the battery drain that occurs while the vehicle is parked. On the other hand this has to be weighed against the other uses for the roof like for storage, especially on the R1S.

Sure, anything is possible. Is it probable? I doubt it, but who knows. It certainly does not warrant making the statement "Rivian is planning to add a solar roof panel. " Spreading speculation where there has been virtually no indication from Rivian only clouds their offerings with pure conjecture which there is already enough of that going around.
Actual gains are around 1,000 miles/year. It will take a while before we break even on the extra $$$

1 - 5 of 5 Posts