Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm curious to see what Rivian is able to come up with for solid state and when they're able to pull it off because Toyota is expected to reveal a solid state battery this year and is expected to hit production in 2025.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm curious to see what Rivian is able to come up with for solid state and when they're able to pull it off because Toyota is expected to reveal a solid state battery this year and is expected to hit production in 2025.

It still seems like it is much further away than 2025 for any real mass production of this technology. The article from Dec 2020 does not talk about the challenges but the one from July 2020 talks about some of the major hurdles still needed to over come, the least of them being the manufacturing process that is currently not scalable. Also with safety and durability issues (multiple charging causing pack failure) the article states do not expect it in a vehicle soon and are targeting limited production by 2025. Seems like best guess is it may start hitting the real world by the end of this decade but any expectation sooner than that seems unrealistic. I just do not see how they can get any real long term testing completed before that (only my opinion).

·
Registered
256 Posts
It still seems like it is much further away than 2025 for any real mass production of this technology. The article from Dec 2020 does not talk about the challenges but the one from July 2020 talks about some of the major hurdles still needed to over come, the least of them being the manufacturing process that is currently not scalable. Also with safety and durability issues (multiple charging causing pack failure) the article states do not expect it in a vehicle soon and are targeting limited production by 2025. Seems like best guess is it may start hitting the real world by the end of this decade but any expectation sooner than that seems unrealistic. I just do not see how they can get any real long term testing completed before that (only my opinion).
Yup. Quantumscape can power your phone with their "breakthrough" technology but manufacturing a sufficiently large EV battery in sufficient volume is years away. Everyone (maybe not Fisker) is trying to find the key to solid state battery technology, but we're not a heckuva lot closer than we were a year ago.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

Toyota's involvement has me wondering if there will be some overlap throughout the process. I doubt Rivian will be doing 100% of it in house but probably more so engineering, assembly, etc.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Toyota's involvement has me wondering if there will be some overlap throughout the process. I doubt Rivian will be doing 100% of it in house but probably more so engineering, assembly, etc.
Do you mean with Toyota or with someone else? I don't think Toyota will want to share this with anyone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So...could it be that Rivian is working on Solid-State Battery for a portable power bank to extend range as needed?

Seems much more plausible at this stage to me.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So...could it be that Rivian is working on Solid-State Battery for a portable power bank to extend range as needed?

It wouldn't be completely unheard of since Rivian has patented a detachable backup battery pack.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Seems solid state batteries may double the energy density. That helps, but still isn't enough to make them feasible for portable battery modules, imo.

A 50 lbs solid state battery (not counting enclosure) would only provide about 25 miles range.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

Yes. What would be interesting is how they can do it differently from the many other brands expected to create EV power banks of their own. Here's one example in the works.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. They're setting up a team. Getting from there to production is no small feat considering that others have been trying for years and aren't especially close.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts