Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before Rivian got to work on the R1S and R1T, their original goal was to make an electric sports car.

In the Rivian Adventurous Forever series' first episode, you can see a photo of the car around 1:30.

In the photo you can see a two-door hatchback that looks a lot like the Honda CR-Z. But the project was canned in 2011.

I wonder what would've happened if Rivian stuck with this instead of the R1S or R1T.

Rivian Sports Coupe

·
Registered
216 Posts
RJ wants to help the planet
If he feels a small affordable car will help then he will build one
IMO cars are useless
I'm a truck guy so 🤷
Is it JUNE yet

·
Registered
975 Posts
Trucks make sense to me. For the last 15 years I've been screaming at auto companies "Why aren't you making a real hybrid or electric truck??"

Think about it. Trucks/SUVs outsell cars by wide margins. Trucks/SUVs are also the biggest users of gas. Electrifying (even partially) Trucks/SUVs has a much larger (positive) impact on the world rather than going after low-hanging-fruit econoboxes.

This is probably a major contributing factor to why the thought of Toyota makes me rage. They were the king of Hybrid tech, yet the never took that tech and stuffed it in a Tacoma. WTF is wrong with them? Do you know how many people would have benefited from that? Instead, Toyota takes 20-40 year old tech and still sells that as "new" in the Tacoma. Jerks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Trucks make sense to me. For the last 15 years I've been screaming at auto companies "Why aren't you making a real hybrid or electric truck??"

Think about it. Trucks/SUVs outsell cars by wide margins. Trucks/SUVs are also the biggest users of gas. Electrifying (even partially) Trucks/SUVs has a much larger (positive) impact on the world rather than going after low-hanging-fruit econoboxes.

This is probably a major contributing factor to why the thought of Toyota makes me rage. They were the king of Hybrid tech, yet the never took that tech and stuffed it in a Tacoma. WTF is wrong with them? Do you know how many people would have benefited from that? Instead, Toyota takes 20-40 year old tech and still sells that as "new" in the Tacoma. Jerks.
Good Rant
Lol

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
It reminds me a lot of the Hyundai Veloster.

Here's a recent report I found that says the project could happen as it was just shelved.
Rivian Made A Sports Car Then Put The Project On Pause In 2011
Shelved does not mean cancelled, so we could be in for a surprise at some point in the not too distant future.

While we associate the Rivian brand, started in 2009, with the R1T pickup and the R1S SUV, both of which are fully-electric, the company has dabbled in other categories of vehicles in the past. Take this small sports car that the manufacturer worked on until 2011 when it was ‘shelved,’ but that doesn’t mean it was cancelled.

According to this article published by The Drive, they spoke to Rivian’s director of vehicle dynamics, Max Koff, who explained that the sports car you see in the photos had not actually been cancelled - he was the one who made the correction and used the word ‘shelved’ instead of ‘cancelled’ which was the word used by the editor asking the question.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

They also spoke to Rivian’s founder, RJ Scaringe, who explained how the little sports car came to be. He said

I started the company in 2009, the initial product was essentially like a sports coupe, a little sports car. We worked on that for a couple of years. Getting much more sophisticated in how we think about brand, and how we think about how the product, and the strategy, and the technology, and how they all fit together, and then the desire to have impact, to change the way people think about vehicles and change the way people think about sustainability, we just came to the conclusion that that wasn't the right platform to build from. So we shelved it, like, end of '11, beginning of '12, reset the business.
Scaringe added that
In much the same way as we've done with these [R1] vehicles, we're gonna be really quiet about what's coming next, really, largely because we wanna make sure what we show is exactly what customers get. There is a lot of products in the portfolio that are coming, but we haven't yet announced them.
This has to be exciting news for sports car and driving enthusiasts who want more fun to drive electric cars, especially after seeing how good Rivian’s first production vehicle, the R1T really is - it is being showered with praise by any and all who have had a chance to experience it, including members of our editorial team (check out their videos on the R1T below).

Rivian also trademarked additional nameplates that it plans to use in the future, although they all sound like they are for pickups and SUVs, not a sports car. However, as RJ Scaringe pointed out in the quote above, they are not going to make a big fuss about launching the sports car - it will be done quietly and without any prior hype creation tactics beforehand. In other words, one day in the not too distant future, we may be surprised to see a Rivian sports car that we really were not expecting to see and that’s a very exciting prospect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts