Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
There is a guy who shipped his to Kuwait, and it died horribly but was revived. Also several people have them in Hawaii but that's a bit different. Wish me luck
All the best mate! The gent from Kuwait had issues with the R1 not being set up properly for shipping, from what I remember. You seem to have thought that one through. Europe is much more advanced in EV tech. You guys are blazing a new path. I would start vlogging or flogging (whatever it's called) so the rest of the community can enjoy your unique journey and if you hit a "bump in the road" we can all be there to try to help. Im sure Rivian will be excited to see that too. Life is short mate-live it your way!

· Registered
53 Posts
That is very understandable then. But, doesn’t the truck stay awake with the hood open ? Can you put the truck in transport mode with hood open ?
Second half of this equation: I’d guess that the 12v batteries themselves are also physically disconnected after putting the truck into transport mode so the HV system stays in hibernation.

· Registered
R1T, M3LR, 2x Honda Odyssey
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is very understandable then. But, doesn’t the truck stay awake with the hood open ? Can you put the truck in transport mode with hood open ?
To answer the original question: So I was not able to go to the states personally to see the truck upon delivery. I had the shipping company disconnect the HV and 12 batteries, and prop open the hood so I could reconnect them when it arrives here. The HV battery was at 69% when they disconnected it, and I would prefer it to stay there rather than go to Zero if it gets stuck in shipping for two months. I will post here how it goes, because it seems nobody has really "tried this at home" before. Yikes!

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent! Looking forward to see your adventures through Europe. Do you have any places that you're aiming to take it already?
I plan to first take some pics with Frankfurt in the background in order to break the Internet. :D Then I will try to figure out how to charge it via DC so I can do a road trip to the alps.. wish me luck!!

· Registered
R1T LE
59 Posts
To answer the original question: So I was not able to go to the states personally to see the truck upon delivery. I had the shipping company disconnect the HV and 12 batteries, and prop open the hood so I could reconnect them when it arrives here. The HV battery was at 69% when they disconnected it, and I would prefer it to stay there rather than go to Zero if it gets stuck in shipping for two months. I will post here how it goes, because it seems nobody has really "tried this at home" before. Yikes!
Gotcha. So I understand the 12v batteries under the hood but what is HV battery ? Is that the battery pack that powers the truck ? How is that disconnected ?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gotcha. So I understand the 12v batteries under the hood but what is HV battery ? Is that the battery pack that powers the truck ? How is that disconnected ?
The way I understand it, and I may be wrong, the 12V batteries control a switch which opens and closes contacts on the big 400V Lithium battery. The contact wires are connected via a wire harness clip (probably wrong terminology) which can be disconnected by unclipping and unplugging it. It is documented in the rivian towing guide on rivian's website. What isn't documented of course, is how to correctly re-connect it! But in the other thread I have been given some instructions on reconnecting... it is a little involved but not awful.

· Registered
R1T LE
59 Posts
The way I understand it, and I may be wrong, the 12V batteries control a switch which opens and closes contacts on the big 400V Lithium battery. The contact wires are connected via a wire harness clip (probably wrong terminology) which can be disconnected by unclipping and unplugging it. It is documented in the rivian towing guide on rivian's website. What isn't documented of course, is how to correctly re-connect it! But in the other thread I have been given some instructions on reconnecting... it is a little involved but not awful.
Ok, thanks for that. I’m assuming the HV disconnect is also under the hood ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts