Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10% charge in 6km of tow charging is impressive. I also didn't realize they're using the 135 kWh battery for the rally and not the big battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
10% charge in 6km of tow charging is impressive. I also didn't realize they're using the 135 kWh battery for the rally and not the big battery.
Yeah. I guess the weight is one of the factors. The 135kwh version. Already weighs 5886lbs. Not sure how much more weight the 180kwh will add...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. I guess the weight is one of the factors. The 135kwh version. Already weighs 5886lbs. Not sure how much more weight the 180kwh will add...
That's probably the reason. It also helps that the organizers designed the course for the R1T to compete.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So the tow charging works by adding drag to the tow vehicle, right? If you know that your destination will have charging, and you want max fuel economy from your tow vehicle, can you turn off the tow charging? For lack of a better term, can you put the Rivian in "neutral" so to speak so it is spinning freely and not adding as much drag to the tow vehicle?

Conservation of energy and all that...

·
Registered
135 Posts
So the tow charging works by adding drag to the tow vehicle, right? If you know that your destination will have charging, and you want max fuel economy from your tow vehicle, can you turn off the tow charging? For lack of a better term, can you put the Rivian in "neutral" so to speak so it is spinning freely and not adding as much drag to the tow vehicle?

I have to think so. I doubt tow charging would be the default. It's probably a special mode you have to put the truck in.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

From the way they describe it in the video there's no way you can do this safely on a public road

1 - 9 of 9 Posts