Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
"The mountain" was a metaphor. Towing the second Rivian is effectively providing the second Rivian with that 100 mile mountain to coast down (by towing it 100 miles).
That is the question that remains to be answered. Can the first Rivian, (the one doing the towing), tow another Rivian at least 100 miles on the power available to it? Reports suggest around a 50% loss towing 9,000 lbs. Not sure what the equivalent weight of the 7,000 +/-lb Rivian would be with regen also pulling against it.

In no way, would it be "practical" to do on a daily basis in the real world. The question only being, is it possible? Under the best possible circumstances (good weather, constant 30 mph speed where aero won't play much of a role, roughly level topography, etc)? Many believe it's not. I'm on the fence that it might be possible, under the right circumstances.
Let's take this logic and go with it. No need to just hitch one up to the other. Let's bolt one to the other that way you don't waste time or energy swapping one for the other. One can push, one can pull. Surely you can see there's nothing different in this arrangement. Surely you can see there's nothing magical about 8 wheels being involved instead of 4. So let's agree that this system is functionally equivalent to the one you describe. How is this any way different than a single vehicle? Drive the back wheels while you regen the front. Then swap. If infinite range was this simple, I can assure you that you, and everyone on earth would already be driving such a thing.
In matters of efficiency, the "real world" test you seem to think will be the arbiter of science validity will ALWAYS be less efficient than theory, not more.

This isn't a matter of opinion or debate no matter how many times you say so. It's just fact.

The Ford patent you speak of is to charge a low state battery from a high state battery, between vehicles. There's nothing sneaky there. No free lunch is being served.

·
Registered
86 Posts
With the Tesla, we know for certain, towing it 1.4 miles will add approximately 3.5 miles in range back to the battery.
kizambyute, do you know the state of charge of that Tesla when it was towed? As you know from being an EV owner, the charge curve isn’t linear, and the charge rate drops off as you add electrons to the battery. Taking just a 1.4 mile sample from the entire time it would take to charge a vehicle to full (the hopeful 100 miles in your OP), is just too small a data point to extrapolate the entire charge cycle from, IMO. I’m guessing the Tesla was pretty low on charge when it was towed, to get that kind of return…

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
kizambyute, do you know the state of charge of that Tesla when it was towed? As you know from being an EV owner, the charge curve isn’t linear, and the charge rate drops off as you add electrons to the battery. Taking just a 1.4 mile sample from the entire time it would take to charge a vehicle to full (the hopeful 100 miles in your OP), is just too small a data point to extrapolate the entire charge cycle from, IMO. I’m guessing the Tesla was pretty low on charge when it was towed, to get that kind of return…
In the Tesla test, battery started at 62% when the 1.4 mile tow started and ended at 64%. So we now it gained over 1 full percent, How much of the second percent, we don't know since the figures aren't to the decimal point.
I do agree with you that it may not work by trying to do the entire 100-125 mile run at once. I discussed it in a prior post above that you may have to try it in shorter intervals. They were at 62%, which is when charging rates from a regular charger do start to slow down. Not sure if regen slows down as well? If it does, then you very well "might" get better results by starting the Tesla off closer to 0% battery instead.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I think NBC is reading this site. The show "American Auto" had this exact same argument on their show! LOL, I'm kidding of course. Not about the fact that they had the same argument, but that they stole it from this website. Thought it was funny though. They were stumped when the argument was that theoretically, if you could get enough solar panels to draw power from, then you could generate enough power to run enough air conditioners outside to slow global warming! It was on the show, that one is not me! LOL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You have the right idea, but you are over complicating it considering the weight, cost and challenges of towing a second truck. All you need to do is mechanically connect a lightweight generator to your Rivian wheel and wire it to the battery, like my good friend did in this pic. The battery stays almost fully charged if he drives conservatively. He did adjust the route he drives to and from his home to work, so that it's downhill both ways. That really helps with the regen process.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

41 - 46 of 46 Posts