Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to give the group an update on the R1T's towing capabilities. We love that our R1T can pull our boat (~7,800lbs). It pulls it materially better than our Denali 2500HD truck. Brake regeneration prevents the need to brake 95% of the time (except at the beginning of a tow session since the battery is fully charged). Only downside is that we only get ~140 miles of range while towing the boat in the hills where we live.

IMHO this is one of the best vehicles I have had the pleasure to drive. Don't listen to all of the haters and get one if you can!

Wheel Sky Cloud Tire Car

·
Registered
58 Posts
It pulls it materially better than our Denali 2500HD truck.
I concur. We normally pull our 30’ Airstream with a RAM 1500 equipped with the tow package and 3.0L diesel engine. We recently used the R1T to pull the Airstream on an 85 mile camping trip and the Rivian was better in every way, except for the range. The RAM tends to get a little squirrely over 65 mph but at 75 mph the R1T was rock solid.

Sadly, until the non-Tesla charge networks become more widespread and much more reliable it will be difficult to make long distance trips towing with the R1T.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I wanted to give the group an update on the R1T's towing capabilities. We love that our R1T can pull our boat (~7,800lbs). It pulls it materially better than our Denali 2500HD truck. Brake regeneration prevents the need to brake 95% of the time (except at the beginning of a tow session since the battery is fully charged). Only downside is that we only get ~140 miles of range while towing the boat in the hills where we live.

IMHO this is one of the best vehicles I have had the pleasure to drive. Don't listen to all of the haters and get one if you can!

View attachment 7417
Great photo of your R1T @IshtaRivian! Welcome! How far you have to tow your boat when you want to use it? Do you have to stop to charge along the way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great photo of your R1T @IshtaRivian! Welcome! How far you have to tow your boat when you want to use it? Do you have to stop to charge along the way?
We drive ~93miles roundtrip. No need to charge along the way. I, unfortunately, had to keep my 3/4 ton truck to take the boat on long distance drives. The charging network simply isn't developed enough to travel long distances pulling this kind of weight.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
We drive ~93miles roundtrip. No need to charge along the way. I, unfortunately, had to keep my 3/4 ton truck to take the boat on long distance drives. The charging network simply isn't developed enough to travel long distances pulling this kind of weight.
Yeah that's still a big obstacle for Rivian and all the other companies making electric trucks to overcome. It'll be a game changer for whoever can crack it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Pulled into the EA station in Warrenton to see an R1T with travel trailer charging along with a VW ID4.

Driver of the Rivian said his biggest complaint was Tow Mode shuts off adaptivce cruise, blind spot indicators, FWD eco mode and a couple other things.

The "real" pickups go the other way giving you view in back of the trailer and other tow helpful features.

Hopefully Rivian can fix tow mode by late 2023.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I‘d like someone to explain to me why turning off these features makes any sense.
Likely the blind spot sees the trailer and stays on, adaptive cruise they are afraid of the braking distance with the trailer, FWD eco is also likely a safety concern in case someone tried to launch a boat in FWD only and boat drags the Rivian into the drink.

·
Registered
65 Posts

View attachment 7417
Is the 140 miles of range from 100% charge to 0% charge? I have a similar weight boat and am hoping that I can get about 100 miles of range going from 80% to 20%.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a similar weight boat and am hoping that I can get about 100 miles of range going from 80% to 20%.
Towing should be occasional enough you can charge to 100% on tow days.

On the 160 miles with a 7,500# tow and hills, even if that was with 100% charge, that would be 128 miles at 80% charge. Good news for me as my tow is 5k# and 93 miles, sound like I'll make it with 50 +/- miles to spare at even 80% charge.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Towing should be occasional enough you can charge to 100% on tow days.

On the 160 miles with a 7,500# tow and hills, even if that was with 100% charge, that would be 128 miles at 80% charge. Good news for me as my tow is 5k# and 93 miles, sound like I'll make it with 50 +/- miles to spare at even 80% charge.
We’re in similar locations if PDX means Portland. What do you tow and where do you take it?

·
Registered
481 Posts
We’re in similar locations if PDX means Portland. What do you tow and where do you take it?
Tow the boat to Astoria in July and back to PDX in November, 93 miles one way. And then local towing, to take it for engine service and maintenance, probably three or four times a year.

Future plan is to fish in OR, WA and BC towing and camping with the R1S. Now if I can swing the Candela C8, I'd be all EV.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tow the boat to Astoria in July and back to PDX in November, 93 miles one way. And then local towing, to take it for engine service and maintenance, probably three or four times a year.

Future plan is to fish in OR, WA and BC towing and camping with the R1S. Now if I can swing the Candela C8, I'd be all EV.
[/Q

That Candela is amazing. Though certainly not as elegant this Nautique is pretty amazing.
Not $320k amazing but just that these electric boats exist is really cool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts