Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A person on the Rivian subreddit asked RJ Scaringe about trailers and towing at the Rivian event at Mill Valley.

According to the post " RJ said they put a fair amount of thought into it, and they’re likely going to use the car computers to send brake control signals — rather than needing to install a manual hardware brake controller. I was concerned about hardwiring a controller like our Tekonsha Prodigy P3 we use today.

He’s not concrete on it, and he mentioned for the 0.1% of people who will likely tow with it, they might offer a way to software override and utilize a hardware controller. It’s nice to know they’ve put a decent amount of thought into this. I am eager to get more details but he was great to share his logic thus far."

Now I don't plan on towing a whole lot with my Rivian but for those that are, what do you think about this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think this would be a fantastic addition or option. I tow three different trailers and have to constantly change the power setting going to the brakes. When my ATV trailer is empty the wheels lock up way too easy. Maybe they could incorporate wireless rotational sensors that could be stuck to the trailer wheels. Hey, why not combine them with TPMS sensors, that screw onto the valve stem, and really know what’s going on back there. The computer could sense the rotational speed and maybe prevent them from locking up when the trailer is empty and the power is high. For us Canadians (eh) if it’s snowy or on dirt roads this is an issue at speed as the trailer can jackknife going downhill. I`d also paid for ”enhanced invisible view” (like those other guys have) And a camera pointed at the hitch ball?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this would be a fantastic addition or option. I tow three different trailers and have to constantly change the power setting going to the brakes. When my ATV trailer is empty the wheels lock up way too easy. Maybe they could incorporate wireless rotational sensors that could be stuck to the trailer wheels. Hey, why not combine them with TPMS sensors, that screw onto the valve stem, and really know what’s going on back there. The computer could sense the rotational speed and maybe prevent them from locking up when the trailer is empty and the power is high. For us Canadians (eh) if it’s snowy or on dirt roads this is an issue at speed as the trailer can jackknife going downhill. I`d also paid for ”enhanced invisible view” (like those other guys have) And a camera pointed at the hitch ball?
The sensors would be an interesting idea. I wish we could hear more about Scaringe and Rivian's thought process on this. I assume you'd want there to be a software override option since you switch between trailers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If they had a strain gauge on the receiver hitch the computer could tell how much stress or strain is on the trailer hitch assembly and apply power to the breaks accordingly, automatically. Combine this with the rotation sensors and knowing the speed of the vehicle, and you would have the worlds first ABS-Trailer-Retrofit-Kit with tire pressure monitoring
Do I smell [another] patent?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they had a strain gauge on the receiver hitch the computer could tell how much stress or strain is on the trailer hitch assembly and apply power to the breaks accordingly, automatically. Combine this with the rotation sensors and knowing the speed of the vehicle, and you would have the worlds first ABS-Trailer-Retrofit-Kit with tire pressure monitoring
Do I smell [another] patent?
I wouldn't be surprised if another patent surfaces now that you've mentioned it hahaha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts