Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone heard, if we will be able to download the secure video, from the vehicule, in time of and accident!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
No official word from Rivian about this but I think it's a possibility. Either from our end or from Rivian's end.

On Rivian's insurance website it says "Rivian Insurance integrates with our connected vehicle platform and suite of safety features to bring you tailored, data-driven coverage." So in the event of a crash/accident they must be recording something.

·
Registered
800 Posts
We may or may not be able to access cameras... But I do not think that is what the Rivian press release is referring to when they discuss "data-driven coverage".

I think Rivian is referring to the cloud-connected nature of the vehicles and the multitude of telemetry data that they will be monitoring.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
I think it’s more related to being able to monitor your driving habits and set rates accordingly. Similar to what other insurance companies are doing with voluntary aftermarket devices. I don’t doubt, however, that it will also include their ability to access the telemetry data if there is an accident.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Virtually all vehicles manufactured in the last 20 or so years have these in them. Some record more information than others and some have more storage than others. Probably a difference is most of them you need to use a reader and physical be at the vehicle to get at the data. I assume any manufacture that has internet access to the vehicles like GM, Tesla, Jeep, probably many others as well, would have access remotely. For sure GM does as they can send you reminders and alerts for service issues. Tesla certainly does, that has been well documented and they use a lot of this data for various things like the autopilot training.

The NHTSA was going to mandate it 8 or 10 years ago but never did make it mandatory. Probably because it is already being done at some level by all manufactures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No official word from Rivian about this but I think it's a possibility. Either from our end or from Rivian's end.

On Rivian's insurance website it says "Rivian Insurance integrates with our connected vehicle platform and suite of safety features to bring you tailored, data-driven coverage." So in the event of a crash/accident they must be recording something.

Do you have Time Line, about having insurrance in Canada?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts