Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
jcpl offers big rebates in NJ for ev owners. However there seems to be a catch.
Only wall chargers that allow jcpl to collect data are authorized. Rivian apparently does not allow data to be shared from their wall charger. Hence no big rebate on installation, purchase price , or electric bill.

Has anyone found a way around this? I may have to return my rivian charger and purchase an authorized brand. Anyone use another brand of wall charger they recommend?

· Registered
43 Posts
Same deal here in Oregon, if your charger can't be monitored and controlled by the electric utility co., no rebate. Just one of the multiple rebates that I found out we don't qualify for. I suppose if you haven't installed the charger yet then returning it and getting a different one might be worth it. I had already installed mine myself before I found this out, so it didn't make sense to try and send it back.

Despite the lack of rebate, I've been pretty happy with my Rivian wall charger, zero issues.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
96 Posts
When asked, I always recommend not buying the Rivian wall charger. I am not sure if the Rivian mobile cord is included or not, but I recommend not buying that either (Ford charges extra for it).

I have not heard anything bad about the Rivian branded EVSE (unlike the disaster that Ford sells), but they are not a great bang for your buck. In addition to the approved list issue in many states like mine, any wall charger you install should have load sharing built in to support your next EV. This way you don't have to run a whole new line, and/or replace your EVSE when you wife wants her own Rivian/Tesla/GMC Sierra EV.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When asked, I always recommend not buying the Rivian wall charger. I am not sure if the Rivian mobile cord is included or not, but I recommend not buying that either (Ford charges extra for it).

I have not heard anything bad about the Rivian branded EVSE (unlike the disaster that Ford sells), but they are not a great bang for your buck. In addition to the approved list issue in many states like mine, any wall charger you install should have load sharing built in to support your next EV. This way you don't have to run a whole new line, and/or replace your EVSE when you wife wants her own Rivian/Tesla/GMC Sierra EV.
Thanks to you both above. Im thinking to return the rivian charger. Looking at the blink hq200 or chargepoint, they both cost about the same as the rivian and the rebates here in NJ run close to 2k plus a cheaper electric bill. Love the truck…. Anyone have a charger they recommend?

· Registered
43 Posts
You might find this helpful too:

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
96 Posts
Thanks to you both above. Im thinking to return the rivian charger. Looking at the blink hq200 or chargepoint, they both cost about the same as the rivian and the rebates here in NJ run close to 2k plus a cheaper electric bill. Love the truck…. Anyone have a charger they recommend?

At $350 this 11.5Kw EVSE is pretty impossible to beat for price. It is of course one of the most well known and used chargers on the planet, and is on all of the 'approved" lists that I have seen. It is power-share ready, so when you need another EVSE for your 2nd EV, you just add another $350 unit; there is no need to run another dedicated line.

This unit works well with your Tesla>J1772 adaptor (you have one, right?), but if you prefer Tesla also sells it with a J1772 nozzle; for $200 more.

Keep clear of the Blink units. They have been problematic. The ChargePoint Home flex is very good, but twice the price of the Tesla unit.

· Registered
R1T 2022 FG, BM, 21" wheels, quad motor -delivered 6 Dec 2022
4 Posts
Same deal here in Vt - but our utility - Green Mountain Power - provides the charger for free. We’re still waiting for it since you only get it once registration is complete (Rivian seems to have lost our paperwork so we’re behind), but we will pay 30% less for electricity used for charging. I think we get the $1500 rebate irrespective of whether we take advantage of the charging deal. Rivian was happy for me to return the charger - they made it easy and no cost. They also said the brands offered by Green Mountain Power were just as good as theirs: In-Home Level 2 EV Charger - Green Mountain Power
I noticed someone else responded that it might leave you in a bind if you want to charge during peak hours. Kinda unlikely but if you did you can simply plug the e portable charger that comes with the Rivian into a 240 outlet - it’s just as fast

Good luck!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same deal here in Vt - but our utility - Green Mountain Power - provides the charger for free. We’re still waiting for it since you only get it once registration is complete (Rivian seems to have lost our paperwork so we’re behind), but we will pay 30% less for electricity used for charging. I think we get the $1500 rebate irrespective of whether we take advantage of the charging deal. Rivian was happy for me to return the charger - they made it easy and no cost. They also said the brands offered by Green Mountain Power were just as good as theirs: In-Home Level 2 EV Charger - Green Mountain Power
I noticed someone else responded that it might leave you in a bind if you want to charge during peak hours. Kinda unlikely but if you did you can simply plug the e portable charger that comes with the Rivian into a 240 outlet - it’s just as fast

Good luck!
It seems every state and power company is different. Im becoming more knowledgeable than i expected to be. More calls to NJ tomorrow to make sure I get this right. And the rivian charger will go back. Thank you all

· Registered
2 Posts
jcpl offers big rebates in NJ for ev owners. However there seems to be a catch.
Only wall chargers that allow jcpl to collect data are authorized. Rivian apparently does not allow data to be shared from their wall charger. Hence no big rebate on installation, purchase price , or electric bill.

Has anyone found a way around this? I may have to return my rivian charger and purchase an authorized brand. Anyone use another brand of wall charger they recommend?
I use a ChargePoint wall charger, which qualified for the install rebate and annual rebate here in CT. So far so good. Decision was based on a number of reviews across the EV sphere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts