Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
The Rivian Stories podcast did this 14-minute long video covering the top things this warranty program includes.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Looking into how Rivians warranty term compares to what other EV automakers are offering, it gets even better...
"Tesla's longest warranty is also eight years or 150,000 miles, and also covers up to 70% of original battery capacity. However, that warranty is only available on the Model S and Model X, with other models getting less mileage. The Model 3 Standard Range warranty only covers 100,000 miles, while the warranty for all other Model 3 variants and the Model Y covers 120,000 miles.

In addition, Rivian is offering a 5-year/60,000-mile new-vehicle warranty and 8-year/175,000-mile drivetrain warranty on both of its vehicles.

Tesla previously offered an eight-year drivetrain warranty for the Model S, with unlimited mileage, but that appears to no longer be the case. A 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty covers most other components beyond the battery pack, with a 1-year/10,000-mile extension for used cars purchased directly from the company.

Rivian hasn't delivered any vehicles to customers yet, so we don't know what it will recommend regarding regular maintenance. Tesla initially recommended an annual service, but scrapped that policy in 2019.

Looking at other EVs, the Nissan Leaf gets an 8-year/100,000-mile battery warranty, 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty, and three years or 36,000 miles of "basic coverage" for other components. The Volkswagen ID.4 gets the same battery-pack warranty terms as the Leaf, with a 4-year/50,000-mile new-vehicle warranty."

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Some responses I got from a Rivian rep recently:

"We'll be utilizing mobile service whenever an over-the-air software update isn't enough. Bringing service to your home or workplace at your convenience. If more extensive work is needed we'll provide transportation of the vehicle to and from a service center or third party partnership at no additional cost to you"

"Our Quad-Motor system is less susceptible to wear and tear as there aren't hundreds of moving parts. Using regenerative braking, you'll slow a vehicle without applying the brakes so fewer brake changes"

Not new info but they are points I hope Rivian expands on soon in some public way to help further set our expectations.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Looking into how Rivians warranty term compares to what other EV automakers are offering, it gets even better...
"Tesla's longest warranty is also eight years or 150,000 miles, and also covers up to 70% of original battery capacity. However, that warranty is only available on the Model S and Model X, with other models getting less mileage. The Model 3 Standard Range warranty only covers 100,000 miles, while the warranty for all other Model 3 variants and the Model Y covers 120,000 miles.

In addition, Rivian is offering a 5-year/60,000-mile new-vehicle warranty and 8-year/175,000-mile drivetrain warranty on both of its vehicles.

Tesla previously offered an eight-year drivetrain warranty for the Model S, with unlimited mileage, but that appears to no longer be the case. A 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty covers most other components beyond the battery pack, with a 1-year/10,000-mile extension for used cars purchased directly from the company.

Rivian hasn't delivered any vehicles to customers yet, so we don't know what it will recommend regarding regular maintenance. Tesla initially recommended an annual service, but scrapped that policy in 2019.

Looking at other EVs, the Nissan Leaf gets an 8-year/100,000-mile battery warranty, 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty, and three years or 36,000 miles of "basic coverage" for other components. The Volkswagen ID.4 gets the same battery-pack warranty terms as the Leaf, with a 4-year/50,000-mile new-vehicle warranty."
Here's a good chart I found that compares Rivian's warranty with the competition.

·
Registered
142 Posts
For those that were interested in my email situation - after a few weeks of the occasional back and forth with support, one very helpful technician managed to get the marketing team to do some 'back end' work and it appears 🤞 that emails are working for me again. She confirmed something I'd suspected - these emails are sent out in waves, so the timing can be different for all of us, but everyone who is registered/subscribed should be receiving them.

I'll update again if I encounter any other issues or get more useful information from them, but for now I feel very relieved :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
8 years battery warranty is a must. 10 years would be better .Otherwise the truck is not a euro worth. Tipically we sell the car after 5 years. As a company owner, we financially write off the vehicule after 5 years. If the warranty of the battery isn't long enough, the buyer of the second hand car has to take a big risk. If the battery breaks down after 5+3 years, the truck is economic total loss. The battery's warranty will determine the second-hand price.

·
Registered
70 Posts
8 years battery warranty is a must. 10 years would be better .Otherwise the truck is not a euro worth. Tipically we sell the car after 5 years. As a company owner, we financially write off the vehicule after 5 years. If the warranty of the battery isn't long enough, the buyer of the second hand car has to take a big risk. If the battery breaks down after 5+3 years, the truck is economic total loss. The battery's warranty will determine the second-hand price.
Curious what Tesla provides for EU warranty compared to the US limits. My guess is Rivian would at worst mimic their behavior. Seems like Rivian is serious about getting into the EU market so will be aggressive. I was impressed with what Rivian released regarding the US warrenty, it exceeded my expectations in several areas.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
um... you’re not making any sense.

Demands 8-10 year warranty!
(Only keeps car 5 years, anyway)

second hand market will still buy vehicles outside of warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It makes sense. The warranty on the battery will determine the second-hand value. No one is going to buy an expensive used car if they run the risk of the battery (the most expensive part of an EV) breaking down and the cost of a new battery exceeding the intrinsic value of the car. So I'm glad Rivian offers a solid 8 year warranty. At Renault you have the option to lease the battery of your purchased car to eliminate this uncertainty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In the Netherlands it is currently difficult to sell second-hand EVs. But this is mainly because the first electric cars that are now entering the second-hand market had a very poor driving range. On the other hand, 1 of 6 new cars sold in Holland are EV. I hope that the price of the Rivian will be favorable in Belgium. The government is great at levying taxes and duties in Europe. I sometimes feel like a squeezed lemon:oops:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It makes sense. The warranty on the battery will determine the second-hand value. No one is going to buy an expensive used car if they run the risk of the battery (the most expensive part of an EV) breaking down and the cost of a new battery exceeding the intrinsic value of the car. So I'm glad Rivian offers a solid 8 year warranty. At Renault you have the option to lease the battery of your purchased car to eliminate this uncertainty.
Toyota and Honda have proven that wrong.

Brands offer longer warranties because they are buying consumer trust.

Brands that have earned consumer trust don't have to buy consumers with longer warranties.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts