Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a reply from Rivian on the buying and selling of preorder transfers.

Thank you for reaching out to the Customer Engagement Center. We are happy to be here to help you along your journey with Rivian.

We do not allow the transference of preorders at this time. We have no formal process for this. If individuals are doing this without our knowledge, they are doing so without our permission.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. We are here to help! Stay safe and stay adventurous!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
"at this time" and "permission" and "no process" standout especially the "no process" which likely means they have no way of knowing other than noticing a name, phone and email change from the original order.

·
Registered
439 Posts
"at this time" and "permission" and "no process" standout especially the "no process" which likely means they have no way of knowing other than noticing a name, phone and email change from the original order.
I do recall someone saying they sold theirs, changed all of the information in the account but the reservation still sees to be in his name and he gets the communications about it. Not sure changing all of that in the Rivian account trickles down to the system holding the reservation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds to me like if you “buy” a reservation you’re really taking your chances on whether you’ll ever see an actual vehicle. I mean, all of us are kind of taking our chances on that end, but this seems like it might really up the risk.

Further, with the price increase and the early reservation price lock it makes early reservations that much more valuable. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Rivian makes more of an effort to prevent this process. Buyers beware.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds to me like if you “buy” a reservation you’re really taking your chances on whether you’ll ever see an actual vehicle. I mean, all of us are kind of taking our chances on that end, but this seems like it might really up the risk.

Further, with the price increase and the early reservation price lock it makes early reservations that much more valuable. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Rivian makes more of an effort to prevent this process. Buyers beware.
Well said.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rivian might care if people make profiteering on their word/commitment too obvious. Who knows now if they will waste their resources to go after people though that constitutes a violation of the agreement. Personally, i am keeping mine. Who knows how long before you can order a replacement and it might cost more then.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Who knows now if they will waste their resources to go after people though that constitutes a violation of the agreement.
Rivian has the right to terminate your pre-order for almost any reason, and the agreement you signed explicitly forbids transfers of pre-orders.

Rivian doesn't have to devote any effort to this at all. When it comes time to finalize your order and sign the contract, all Rivian has to do is look at your account information and make sure it matches your payment information, then refuse to write the sales contract for anyone but the original pre-order holder. If you can't do that, you get your deposit back and they give the truck to the next person in line. (They have plenty of customers, no worries that they're losing a "sale"). Because the pre-order agreement states that Rivian is not obligated to sell you a vehicle, there's no basis to complain if this happens to you.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but the original pre-order holder.
But how would they know who the original was unless they have some kind of tracking system which they say they don't. The IT guys could dig in and see if/when it was changed but no real incentive for Rivian to go to that expense.

I do like that they have the rule and the policy and intent to follow it.

It's fair.

·
Registered
74 Posts
But how would they know who the original was unless they have some kind of tracking system which they say they don't. The IT guys could dig in and see if/when it was changed but no real incentive for Rivian to go to that expense.

I do like that they have the rule and the policy and intent to follow it.

It's fair.
I think they do have incentive. The more of the early price locked reservations they can move through without delivery the more quickly they get to selling vehicles at the margin where they want to be.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they do have incentive.
Not really. Doesn't matter to them who buys the vehicle. Someone buying someone else's reservation doesn't affect sales. If anything, Rivian would have an incentive not to care about it. More an ethics issue and Rivian is on the right side there, as they were on the pricing. A welcome change from the Musks and the Fords.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rivian has the right to terminate your pre-order for almost any reason, and the agreement you signed explicitly forbids transfers of pre-orders.

Rivian doesn't have to devote any effort to this at all. When it comes time to finalize your order and sign the contract, all Rivian has to do is look at your account information and make sure it matches your payment information, then refuse to write the sales contract for anyone but the original pre-order holder. If you can't do that, you get your deposit back and they give the truck to the next person in line. (They have plenty of customers, no worries that they're losing a "sale"). Because the pre-order agreement states that Rivian is not obligated to sell you a vehicle, there's no basis to complain if this happens to you.
I am sure it’s not hard at all to identify. Maybe Rivian can/will lock account changes from here on if they really are concerned.

·
Registered
571 Posts
But how would they know who the original was
They have the payment details for the deposit - name, address, phone number, credit card number, CVV. The payment is the way you established identity for the legal agreement between you and Rivian.

It seems to me the burden is on the customer to verify that they're the one who made the payment - I don't want them giving away my truck to someone who hacks the website and changes the shipping address ... verifying identity is something they would be doing in any case and something that your state does as well when you title a vehicle.

·
Registered
542 Posts
They have the payment details for the deposit - name, address, phone number, credit card number, CVV. The payment is the way you established identity for the legal agreement between you and Rivian.

It seems to me the burden is on the customer to verify that they're the one who made the payment - I don't want them giving away my truck to someone who hacks the website and changes the shipping address ... verifying identity is something they would be doing in any case and something that your state does as well when you title a vehicle.
I agree but there's a chance that Rivian will decide to not enforce anything for fear of causing social media ripples (that could turn into tsunamis). Bottom line though remains the same as you and others have pointed out: it's a definite risk to purchase a pre-order from someone.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You can ADD a credit card if you like, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this. I never did. Maybe if you want to place frequent orders in the gear shop ...

But my point is they have the immutable payment information for your deposit, which is linked to your account, so even simply asking you to verify the last 4 of your credit card is a pretty effective screen for whether you're the one who made the reservation. The details of how this would work really depend on their business processes, but pre-filling their sales contracts with the information collected for the deposit is the simplest and IMO safest for them - in which case it becomes trivial to screen any changes you want to make.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.