Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Underneath the Rivian R1T (Pickup Truck) and R1S (SUV) is the automakers very own flexible skateboard architecture. It's what Rivian models will ride for now on and houses most drivetrain and powertrain components, including the battery, braking, suspension, and cooling systems.

Skateboard Platform
The foundation of the R1T and R1S is Rivian’s skateboard platform, which efficiently packages the battery pack, drive units, suspension, braking and thermal system all below the height of the wheel, leaving the space above for occupants and their gear.

Beyond the packaging benefits, this architecture delivers a low center of gravity that supports the vehicle’s agility and stability. Adding to these inertial advantages is a sophisticated suspension architecture with unequal length double wishbone suspension in the front and a multi-link suspension in the rear. The suspension features dynamic roll control and adaptive dampers along with ride-height adjustable air-suspension – allowing the suspension to be adjusted for highway comfort, on-road performance or off-road capability.

Rivian’s vehicles also feature a quad-motor system that delivers 147kW with precise torque control to each wheel, enabling active torque vectoring and maximum performance in every situation, from high-speed cornering to low-speed rock crawling. With 3,500 Nm of grounded torque per wheel (14,000 Nm of torque for the full vehicle), the R1T can reach 60 mph in 3 seconds and 100 mph in less than 7 seconds. This powertrain and chassis also enable the R1T’s tow rating of 11,000 pounds.

“The beauty and elegance of our quad-motor setup isn’t just about brute power; this architecture provides instantaneous torque with extremely precise control at each wheel, which is completely game-changing from a dynamics perspective, both on- and off-road,” said Executive Director of Engineering and Programs Mark Vinnels.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone is wondering about the future of Rivian's skateboard platform, Tesla could provide a very clear answer...

That is to eventually move away because it will become obsolete.

According to Musk:
“It’s not like existing cars stop having value. It’s just that if you have a structural pack, where the pack is contributing structural value to the car because of like the — sort of like the composite honeycomb effect of share transfer between upper and lower plate, then anything that doesn’t do that is going to have to have duplicate hardware."

“It’s going to weigh more. It’s going to cost more. And then the same goes for the front and rear castings. To be frank, we’re trying to make the car like you’d make a toy. If you had a toy model car, how would — and then it’s got to be real cheap and look great, how would you make that? You’ll cast it."

Just don't expect it to overnight. These big changes take years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If anyone is wondering about the future of Rivian's skateboard platform, Tesla could provide a very clear answer...

That is to eventually move away because it will become obsolete.

According to Musk:
“It’s not like existing cars stop having value. It’s just that if you have a structural pack, where the pack is contributing structural value to the car because of like the — sort of like the composite honeycomb effect of share transfer between upper and lower plate, then anything that doesn’t do that is going to have to have duplicate hardware."

“It’s going to weigh more. It’s going to cost more. And then the same goes for the front and rear castings. To be frank, we’re trying to make the car like you’d make a toy. If you had a toy model car, how would — and then it’s got to be real cheap and look great, how would you make that? You’ll cast it."

Just don't expect it to overnight. These big changes take years.
I would think going Tesla way is making vehicles much more disposable, since you can no longer replace a battery if something happens .
It's in my mind an easy sale thing which majority swallowed without thinking one step ahead . That's exactly what happened to all modern cellphones and that is what forces people change them much more often , what obviously puts more cash in manufacturers pocket .
I'd rather see battery absolutely separate so when technology changes in 2 years and solid stage batteries take over the world and you almost new battery on rivian becomes outdated, you have a choice of changing a vehicle or just a battery. Or if you smashed it on a rock or it got contaminated with water , what ever reason is , more choice freedom is always appreciated.
I'm not saying that's how it is but just my thoughts on this topic.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think going Tesla way is making vehicles much more disposable, since you can no longer replace a battery if something happens .
It's in my mind an easy sale thing which majority swallowed without thinking one step ahead . That's exactly what happened to all modern cellphones and that is what forces people change them much more often , what obviously puts more cash in manufacturers pocket .
I'd rather see battery absolutely separate so when technology changes in 2 years and solid stage batteries take over the world and you almost new battery on rivian becomes outdated, you have a choice of changing a vehicle or just a battery. Or if you smashed it on a rock or it got contaminated with water , what ever reason is , more choice freedom is always appreciated.
I'm not saying that's how it is but just my thoughts on this topic.
Great points. On the bright side, battery cost is coming down and is said to decrease by a whopping 89% within a ten-year span. With all the EV adoption that will bring and the increasing concerns of our carbon footprint from world leaders, I bet a solution will come. We will reach a critical mass. Till then don't expect much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts