Rivian Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Fast Lane went to the Outdoor Retailer event that Rivian attended with the R1S and R1T. There's a couple of good interviews with CEO RJ Scaringe and Charles Sanderson, the VP for vehicle integration and development.

One of the things that stood out the most is that Sanderson discussed the potential for Rivians to perform "tank turns" based on how they can distribute torque and the articulation of the suspension. He also discussed the different ride heights you can drive in with Rivian's air suspension.

The idea of making tight turns like a tank would be great for maneuverability but who knows how likely it could actually work properly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Now a CGI video shows what could be like, just don't expect it to play out entirely like this in real life.
You're right, I won't expect it to play out that way mostly since this non-Rivian official video got it wrong, which I suspect in-part is why Rivian had the original video taken down. A tank steer or turn is a maneuver done in-place, without moving forward (or back) unlike what was done in this video.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right, I won't expect it to play out that way mostly since this non-Rivian official video got it wrong, which I suspect in-part is why Rivian had the original video taken down. A tank steer or turn is a maneuver done in-place, without moving forward (or back) unlike what was done in this video.
That video definitely took some creative liberties about what the tank steer could look like. Also, if tank steering is a feature it's not going to be nearly as fast as in the video.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Now the video got taken down. Likely a C&D from Rivian.
I would even be happy with rear wheel steer. It's not fancy, but simple and gets the job done on the trail or city when trying to get around tight turns or just parking.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Confirmed! Rivian just posted the following video YouTube:

From video description: "Tank Turn. Available on the R1T and R1S :)"

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I still wish the wheels would turn.

Rivian should at least include rear wheel steer for better turning radius.
IMO not worth it. All that additional linkage would add significant cost to purchase, maintain, repair, not to mention the additional weight. Right now I believe the feature is completely software driven. Even if there is some mechanical requirements, I can only imagine it's way less than implementing something like the hurricane steering.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is going to be the first thing everyone does when they get their Rivians :LOL: I can't wait to see all the videos.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No doubt, but if they do, it won't work on their asphalt or concrete driveway. According to Rivian the feature will not engage unless the tire resistance is low enough (and at a complete stop). Need to find some dirt, mud, sand, gravel (though probably not wise with all that gravel bouncing off the paint), grass, etc. type surface.

As for "everyone" do you think this feature will be standard on their EVs? It might be on the 180 kWh BP but I suspect it will be an option, an expensive one at that. In which case I hope it is an option because I don't want baked in features raising the base price on things I'll never or rarely use.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No doubt, but if they do, it won't work on their asphalt or concrete driveway. According to Rivian the feature will not engage unless the tire resistance is low enough (and at a complete stop). Need to find some dirt, mud, sand, gravel (though probably not wise with all that gravel bouncing off the paint), grass, etc. type surface.

As for "everyone" do you think this feature will be standard on their EVs? It might be on the 180 kWh BP but I suspect it will be an option, an expensive one at that. In which case I hope it is an option because I don't want baked in features raising the base price on things I'll never or rarely use.
My guess is that it will be an option. If it's not then I'm with you I hope it doesn't raise the prices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts