Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my R1T with the Adventure package and 275/65 R20 Pirelli tires for a rock garden test drive at Twin Peaks in Tahoe (if you know the site, there are three rock gardens and this was the first and easiest) It was fun, but also alarming as the Rivian does not "crawl" at all, it wants to lurch forward off each tire whenever the computers think that tire has grip. IMO rock crawl mode should emulate 4x4 low and 1st gear with both lockers engaged = all four tires SLOWLY rotating TOGETHER. This is not the case and the result requires that the driver be constantly two pedal managing the drive mode wanting to lurch forward. It was very difficult to manage all the power wanting to launch away fast and holding it back with the brake pedal. This should be easy one pedal driving, very slow crawl, all synched up. I would reckon it would be easy to program all four motors/wheels/tires to synch/lock together and then also throttle down the response so one can easily just slowly grind up a rock garden?
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Car

· Registered
590 Posts
I watched the OutOfSpec review of the R1S on some rocky bits and I agree that it looked a bit off there as well.

In a four-motor setup, if one wheel spins that's ok. The question is whether you give the wheels that do have traction an appropriate degree of power, and clearly sometimes it doesn't, or it overdoes it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Took my R1T with the Adventure package and 275/65 R20 Pirelli tires for a rock garden test drive at Twin Peaks in Tahoe (if you know the site, there are three rock gardens and this was the first and easiest) It was fun, but also alarming as the Rivian does not "crawl" at all, it wants to lurch forward off each tire whenever the computers think that tire has grip. IMO rock crawl mode should emulate 4x4 low and 1st gear with both lockers engaged = all four tires SLOWLY rotating TOGETHER. This is not the case and the result requires that the driver be constantly two pedal managing the drive mode wanting to lurch forward. It was very difficult to manage all the power wanting to launch away fast and holding it back with the brake pedal. This should be easy one pedal driving, very slow crawl, all synched up. I would reckon it would be easy to program all four motors/wheels/tires to synch/lock together and then also throttle down the response so one can easily just slowly grind up a rock garden? View attachment 8789
Car Looks Nice Though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts