Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
For owners in southern locations, what are the thoughts about the glass roof and no shade now that weather is warming up?
I'm concerned. Wife's car is a Model S, we bought the sunscreen kit for top and hatch. Works great and I can tell it's there. Without that option right now might have to do some window film until I find one. Though other forums/posters have said amount of UV light coming though is WAY reduced, it's still more than I like - hence the kit.
DB

·
Registered
90 Posts
For owners in southern locations, what are the thoughts about the glass roof and no shade now that weather is warming up?
I'm in Texas and was worried about this glass roof as well, especially when I opted to change to the black interior in an effort to "guarantee" my truck delivery sooner rather than later. I was also worried because there is no retractable shade cover for the roof. However, now that I've had the truck for a few weeks, I can say it hasn't been an issue; in fact, I don't even really notice that the roof is glass. The tinting is quite dark and quite effective. Perhaps I'll change my tune when temps get up in the 100s later this summer, but it really hasn't been an issue yet and I'll be surprised if it becomes one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm in Texas and was worried about this glass roof as well, especially when I opted to change to the black interior in an effort to "guarantee" my truck delivery sooner rather than later. I was also worried because there is no retractable shade cover for the roof. However, now that I've had the truck for a few weeks, I can say it hasn't been an issue; in fact, I don't even really notice that the roof is glass. The tinting is quite dark and quite effective. Perhaps I'll change my tune when temps get up in the 100s later this summer, but it really hasn't been an issue yet and I'll be surprised if it becomes one.
That's great to know thank you.
DB

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's great to know thank you.
DB
Now that it's been consistently over 100 degrees every day, things have changed a bit for me. Normally, the truck is in the garage so that's not an issue. But I've found that if it's sitting out in direct sun on these days, it's been a bit difficult to cool down. The remote "cool down" mode seems wonky in that when I get in the truck after having initiated the cool down, I haven't really found the AC system running at full blast to accomplish anything; it also doesn't seem to turn on the seat ventilation remotely which is a big fail. The AC system in general seems unpredictable when set to "Automatic" - sometimes setting the fan to high and other times not; I find myself having to just turn up the fan manually and shutting down vents for unoccupied seats to really get air blowing on me. Last week, I purchased a custom heat reflector for the roof; it was $45 and I found the link in another thread on this forum. Although the warning label says not to use the shield while driving, I'm doing so anyway - the whole thing is held in place by about 10-12 suction cups and those seem not to have any problem holding while the truck is in motion. I haven't had it long enough to decide definitively if it's making a difference but my initial impression is that it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts