Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is why, I guess, they call it a "rooftop" bike mount. Heads up. The bike's front wheel does not have enough space to fully seat in the big hoop before it contacts the back window.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Which is why, I guess, they call it a "rooftop" bike mount. Heads up. The bike's front wheel does not have enough space to fully seat in the big hoop before it contacts the back window.
Are you talking about the Yakima HighRoad? I know people who use these over the bed and they work well if your bike is not too large. Did you consult the positioning guide to confirm your bike would work in the position you want?

I didn't buy the Yakima HighRoad because my 29er wouldn't have fit, so I bought a 1up flush-mount rack, instead. Works a treat!

Bicycle Automotive bicycle rack Wheel Tire Car

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Commodore I like that. I’ve got a 1up hitch mount. Is the roof mount you are using secure? And would you have more room or the bike was on backwards?
IMO, the roof mount is more secure than the hitch mount. The bike-to-rack connection is exactly the same, so it holds the same. The mounting from the rack-to-crossbars is extremely solid -- zero play.

Mounting the bike forward/backwards is personal preference. The 1Up flush-mount kit lets you mount the rack wherever you want it, so you can move the whole thing forward or backwards, as desired. I prefer having the handlebars forward. The only reason I'd run one backwards is if I had to run 3 or 4 bikes up there, then I'd stagger them.

· Registered
69 Posts
Yakima highroad may not fit but the Frontloader does. The adjustable front tire bracket makes it possible to pull the bike sightly backwards so it doesn't contact the fairing. I have another picture somewhere I will try to dig up tomorrow.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Sky

· Registered
109 Posts
Nposkus: I think your question was directed to ipadl, who posted a picture of the Yakima, so maybe ipadl can answer.

Commodore: why did you go with the flush mount 1Up? I spoke to 1Up and they aren't sure about fitment because the vehicle is so new.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Commodore: why did you go with the flush mount 1Up? I spoke to 1Up and they aren't sure about fitment because the vehicle is so new.
There are several of us running the 1Up flush mount setup. AFAIK, everyone loves it (myself included). I have always been interested in 1Up, as they seem to be almost universally loved in auto forums for every vehicle I've checked out. Quality is high, price is reasonable, company is USA-based. There's a lot to love. I spoke with someone else who was running the 1Up on their R1T crossbars over the bed, so having prior knowledge that it would work, it seemed like the best choice, for me.

Fitment is perfect. Really, I can't think of how they'd make the fit any better... The 1Up lets you slide the brackets to any point along the full length of the rack, so it really does fit anything.

· Registered
69 Posts
can you open the tailgate?
If this really was directed to me then yes, you can open the tailgate with the over the bed rack as pictured (without the hitch rack of course. Here are a few more:

Wheel Tire Cloud Bicycle Sky

Bicycle Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

Even with the Yakima swing rack the tailgate still contacts the hitch rack when directly behind the tailgate. If you swing the rack to 90 degrees the tailgate opens perfectly.

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Plant Window

Bicycle Automotive bicycle rack Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

· Registered
109 Posts
Commodore: I have the 1Up hitch mount. I can't convert it to a roof mount, so I'll be buying a roof mount. The flush mount uses allen bolts as I understand it, while the other options use 1Up's locking nut. That's why I was curious about the flush mount approach.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Commodore: I have the 1Up hitch mount. I can't convert it to a roof mount, so I'll be buying a roof mount. The flush mount uses allen bolts as I understand it, while the other options use 1Up's locking nut. That's why I was curious about the flush mount approach.
I wasn't aware that the "clamp" style mounts used the locking nut. Interesting. My understanding is that the locking nut on the trailer version provides minimal actual security -- basically zero picking resistance. That said, I would prefer something a little more tricky than an Allen key. I may take some measurements and play around with the McMasterCarr catalog, at some point.

· Registered
15 Posts
They made an announcement like 6 months ago that it wouldn't fit pretty much any full size mtb (over 70") and the 1up tray rack does without issue because you can slide it futher towards the tailgate when mounting to the crossbars, it's really silly that they partnered with Yakima, but they did make the announcement at least, so I cancelled my bike racks from Rivian and ordered through 1up

· Registered
1,631 Posts
They made an announcement like 6 months ago that it wouldn't fit pretty much any full size mtb (over 70") and the 1up tray rack does without issue because you can slide it futher towards the tailgate when mounting to the crossbars, it's really silly that they partnered with Yakima, but they did make the announcement at least, so I cancelled my bike racks from Rivian and ordered through 1up
Why do you think it was "silly" to partner with Yakima? I think it makes perfect sense. It's a USA-based company that produces a full line of racks and accessories.

I agree 1up is the better bike rack, but 1up doesn't offer the portfolio that Yakima does. Consider that Rivian needed crossbars (engineered by Yakima) and a host of other accessories (RTT, SUP, Snowboard, etc) that Yakima offers.... The partnership makes complete sense.

In my mind it's no different than Volvo partnering with Thule. It's peanut butter and chocolate, baby!

· Registered
109 Posts
Well I never got my crossbars with my R1T. Called customer service. Two days later crossbars showed up. Perfect! I was ready to install my black 1UP roof rack with the flush mount kit.

Something is wrong. The two carriage bolts provided by 1UP do not slide into the channel on the bottom of the 1Up rack. There is no damage on the rack at all. Not sure if there is too much powder coating in the channel, but I don't think that's the case because its too tight; can't even get them started in the channel.

Carriage bolts too big? Did you folks notice if those two bolts easily slid through the channel?

· Registered
40 Posts
Are you talking about the Yakima HighRoad? I know people who use these over the bed and they work well if your bike is not too large. Did you consult the positioning guide to confirm your bike would work in the position you want?

I didn't buy the Yakima HighRoad because my 29er wouldn't have fit, so I bought a 1up flush-mount rack, instead. Works a treat!

View attachment 7995
Oh dang - the positioning guide shows the bike facing BACKWARDS! Yeah, that guide wasn't included in my crossbars or highroad guide. I just figured the bike should always be facing forward, and then saw the big arm of the high road hits the cabin air deflector.

· Registered
10 Posts

View attachment 7995
Good looking mount. I'm very surprised how many bikes you can fit on this, seems like overkill unless you have 3-4 bikes! Sweet mod though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts