Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow members, I am a new member in this forum, and very happy i joined. This forum has so much information than what Rivian is publishing to pre-order holders. I was wondering if any of you can predict a rough delivery window for R1S launch edition based on a pre-order date of Nov-12-2020? I asked Rivian, all they said was to wait for the guides to contact me later this year in Fall. obviously, that doesn't help :-(.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone's guess here would be just that. If you assume they get the ball rolling soon and they stick to their earlier statement that they hope to conclude LE deliveries by spring of 2022. Also based on a 11/12/2020 reservation date I suspect you are near the bottom of the list of LE reservation holders. My guess is April/May 2022 at the earliest.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Welcome to the forum @BashaShaik

If Rivian takes too long to deliver your vehicle, do you think you'll cancel?
Any other vehicles you considered getting?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone's guess here would be just that. If you assume they get the ball rolling soon and they stick to their earlier statement that they hope to conclude LE deliveries by spring of 2022. Also based on a 11/12/2020 reservation date I suspect you are near the bottom of the list of LE reservation holders. My guess is April/May 2022 at the earliest.
Hi JJswan, that was my guess as well, April/May 2022. But i was hoping someone would say "R1S will be delivered to my door on the night of Christmas Eve" :)!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum @BashaShaik

If Rivian takes too long to deliver your vehicle, do you think you'll cancel?
Any other vehicles you considered getting?
Thank you @eHauler, I do not intend to cancel, even if that means i have to hold on to this reservation for another year or two, lol! I really like the R1s model and features, only question we have now is, if the delivery is actually around Summer of 2022, we may add a regular 7 seater vehicle to our garage for temporary usage. the one i drive now is X1 BMW, and is too small for our growing family.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
469 Posts
I think April/May is overly optimistic. I’m a Sept 2019 R1T LE preorder, and I’m hoping for March next year, but thinking July is more realistic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There's still too much information being withheld on production. RIVIANS delay are moving them closer to a very critical time. Although the as mentioned delay issues are a factor, it also allows for the competition to develop and market their EVs. They will have time to develop similar if not BETTER features such as those offered in the RIVIANS.
Longer range batteries, A motor on each wheel, 3 foot water tredding depths, 7-seates, and the all important TANK-TURN! All ask the question to wait for delivery or consider something else?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is like the Ronco oven, "Set it and Forget it" Patience is a virtue, getting pissed off is human nature. They will get better at communicating the closer they get to delivering.
Those that wait will get their vehicle and the performance and enjoyment will rapidly out weigh the angst of the wait and exceed in excitement the adventure you will have.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There's still too much information being withheld on production. RIVIANS delay are moving them closer to a very critical time. Although the as mentioned delay issues are a factor, it also allows for the competition to develop and market their EVs. They will have time to develop similar if not BETTER features such as those offered in the RIVIANS.
Longer range batteries, A motor on each wheel, 3 foot water tredding depths, 7-seates, and the all important TANK-TURN! All ask the question to wait for delivery or consider something else?
Guess who benefits if a competitor comes out with a comparable vehicle first? You do, because you can then buy it. You're in no way obligated to keep waiting if it turns out that others can do it better and more quickly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm buying something no later than July, 2022. I hope sincerely that it's a Rivian. But, if its still not available by then and I've hear nothing with regards to my particular order directly from Rivian, sadly I'll be forced to cancel. I'm near the top of the list on the Ford and Hummer. I love the Hummer, but not in love with the price. If it happens to make it market first, and Rivian isn't going to be in my garage by July, then I'll likely reward GM for their promptness in getting it out. The Ford is my third choice as far as Trucks go, but a bit boring to me. Its capabilities however, seem more than capable in most aspects and certainly will be a worthy competitor for my needs. Don't want to buy one, but if it's out and the other two are not, will certainly have to give it a look. Should any of these not make it by then, I'll like pass on the idea of a Truck all together for another three years. By that time, I'll have several to choose from! Truly rooting for Rivian. My first choice. But, not riding my bicycle around for a year while I wait for one!! Oh, I forgot to mention the Cybertruck.....LOL, LOL. Hideous looking. Regardless of its capabilities, no chance I could bring myself to buy it. Besides, it's Tesla, it won't be on the market before 2024 anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm buying something no later than July, 2022. I hope sincerely that it's a Rivian. But, if its still not available by then and I've hear nothing with regards to my particular order directly from Rivian, sadly I'll be forced to cancel. I'm near the top of the list on the Ford and Hummer. I love the Hummer, but not in love with the price. If it happens to make it market first, and Rivian isn't going to be in my garage by July, then I'll likely reward GM for their promptness in getting it out. The Ford is my third choice as far as Trucks go, but a bit boring to me. Its capabilities however, seem more than capable in most aspects and certainly will be a worthy competitor for my needs. Don't want to buy one, but if it's out and the other two are not, will certainly have to give it a look. Should any of these not make it by then, I'll like pass on the idea of a Truck all together for another three years. By that time, I'll have several to choose from! Truly rooting for Rivian. My first choice. But, not riding my bicycle around for a year while I wait for one!! Oh, I forgot to mention the Cybertruck.....LOL, LOL. Hideous looking. Regardless of its capabilities, no chance I could bring myself to buy it. Besides, it's Tesla, it won't be on the market before 2024 anyway.
As someone that has a Rivian ordered, a Cybertruck ordered and now a Ford Lightning ordered, I too am pulling for Rivian, but I am not waiting later than May 2022 for something in my driveway and I will have to get another vehicle, taking me out of the market for a few years.

When I ordered the Rivian in March 2019, I thought okay, I will have to be patient and wait 2 years to take delivery. Waiting 3 1/2 years....aahh...too much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Agreed. Just took advantage of the used car drought and turned my Colorado ZR2 in a year early and put the extra cash towards what will be my bride’s Mustang Mach E until the R1T is in my driveway sometimes next year and she turns in her lease. This strategy afforded me the opportunity to be flexible while waiting for the R1T and allows me to have a BEV. The Mustang MAch e is super fun to drive. Should get better this fall with OTA updates and will be able to preview the Ford-Alexa App which maybe similar to the R1T. The MME offers both CarPlay and Alexa but you apparently have to toggle between the two—can’t use concurrently….

·
Registered
117 Posts
As someone that has a Rivian ordered, a Cybertruck ordered and now a Ford Lightning ordered, I too am pulling for Rivian, but I am not waiting later than May 2022 for something in my driveway and I will have to get another vehicle, taking me out of the market for a few years.

When I ordered the Rivian in March 2019, I thought okay, I will have to be patient and wait 2 years to take delivery. Waiting 3 1/2 years....aahh...too much.
]

Not to be a downer but you have not actually ordered anything yet. You have placed pre-orders which puts you into a line to order. So when one of your truck makers finally contacts you, you can then configure and order (deposit is no longer refundable). Then you wait however long it takes to build the truck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think you will avoid disappointment if you keep your expectations low. At this point, Rivian has released very little information about deliveries, orders and production, so almost everything you read, and certainly what follows below, is nothing more than speculation.

I think that Rivian will have their hands full delivering Launch Editions well into 2022. An expectation of anything other than an LE before the end of next year is, in my opinion, overly optimistic and a recipe for disappointment. In addition to the monumental challenges of getting a new, somewhat unique EV that will be built in a brand-new production facility off the ground, Rivian (a new company in its first foray into business) also faces huge supply-chain issues that impact them both directly and indirectly through their sub-tiers.

Once the new Rivian factory gets to (or near) it's planned production rates - likely near the end of LE deliveries given the challenges outlined above - other orders will start to be filled. I would hope that non-LE pre-order holders will be prioritized and get their Long Range editions first, in roughly the order that their deposits were received. If that's the case, we will see deliveries of LR R1/ R1T's start near the end of 2022 or perhaps early 2023. If true, this would mean that late pre-orders will follow sometime in late 2023 but more likely early 2024.

Again, all speculation.

Those of us who want an R1S Max will not even be able to configure our orders until early 2022 (not speculation!) and I would not expect delivery any sooner than early 2024 (back to guesswork). I'm planning accordingly for my R1S Max, so in the unlikely event delivery happens sooner, I'll be surprised and happy. And at that point, I'll have a well cared for 2022 Telluride to put up for sale.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi fellow members, I am a new member in this forum, and very happy i joined. This forum has so much information than what Rivian is publishing to pre-order holders. I was wondering if any of you can predict a rough delivery window for R1S launch edition based on a pre-order date of Nov-12-2020? I asked Rivian, all they said was to wait for the guides to contact me later this year in Fall. obviously, that doesn't help :-(.
Welcome! My guess is that you'll be able to get it by late 2022/early 2023. If Rivian mimics Tesla, then having a preorder won't mean anything after the first few months after deliveries begin. Tesla had 500k+ preorders for the Model 3. If they had only fulfilled the preorders, people without preorders would not have been able to purchase the car until 2020. But of course that didn't happen. Tesla opened the ordering to customers without preorders in mid-2018, which is how I was able to get one without a preorder in 2018. That's also why I take Tesla's claim of 1.5M preorders for the Cybertruck with a huge grain of salt. It is a meaningless statistic.

I have a preorder on the R1T, but I'm under no illusion that it will get me a special place in the purchasing/delivery line.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome! My guess is that you'll be able to get it by the end of 2022. If Rivian mimics Tesla, then having a preorder won't mean anything after the first few months after deliveries begin. Tesla had 500k+ preorders for the Model 3. If they had only fulfilled the preorders, people without preorders would not have been able to purchase the car until 2020. But of course that didn't happen. Tesla opened the ordering to customers without preorders in mid-2018, which is how I was able to get one without a preorder in 2018. That's also why I take Tesla's claim of 1.5M preorders for the Cybertruck with a huge grain of salt. It is a meaningless statistic.

I have a preorder on the R1T, but I'm under no illusion that it will get me a special place in the purchasing/delivery line.
This doesn't make any sense to me. Launch Editions (LE) are sold out. Are you speculating that they will start selling non-LE before they complete deliveries on the LE model or that they will open up LE models for order even know they are sold out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
This doesn't make any sense to me. Launch Editions (LE) are sold out. Are you speculating that they will start selling non-LE before they complete deliveries on the LE model or that they will open up LE models for order even know they are sold out?
I hope they deliver all the LE models before delivering non-LE, but I wouldn't be so certain about that. Since the speculation is that Rivian is batching delivery based on color and interior configurations, at some point, they may start delivering non-LE models in parallel with the LE models. After all, "Launch Edition" is really just a trim level, like "Adventure" and "Explore". Lets say Rivian is building a batch of 5000 trucks with black interior and they only have orders for 2500 in white and in Launch Edition trim (they have more than that but this is for the sake of argument). It would be more cost- and time-effective to build out the remaining 2500 also in white but in the Adventure trim than to changeover the paint shop to a different color and continue building as LE models.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome! My guess is that you'll be able to get it by late 2022/early 2023. If Rivian mimics Tesla, then having a preorder won't mean anything after the first few months after deliveries begin. Tesla had 500k+ preorders for the Model 3. If they had only fulfilled the preorders, people without preorders would not have been able to purchase the car until 2020. But of course that didn't happen. Tesla opened the ordering to customers without preorders in mid-2018, which is how I was able to get one without a preorder in 2018. That's also why I take Tesla's claim of 1.5M preorders for the Cybertruck with a huge grain of salt. It is a meaningless statistic.

I agree @Oxonium , Tesla somehow sold Model 3 for regular buyers much before some pre-order holders got their vehicle. I sincerely hope Rivian doesnt do that and prioritize the deliveries for pre-order holders first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you @eHauler, I do not intend to cancel, even if that means i have to hold on to this reservation for another year or two, lol! I really like the R1s model and features, only question we have now is, if the delivery is actually around Summer of 2022, we may add a regular 7 seater vehicle to our garage for temporary usage. the one i drive now is X1 BMW, and is too small for our growing family.
update! Found a Kia Carnival at a North Houston dealership and brought it home :). Now i can wait for Mid-2022 for my R1S or worse end-2022! The way things are going now, who knows when, lol!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts