Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just received my RT1 yesterday, 6 months earlier than my projected delivery date, which was a welcomed surprise, but I am now scrambling to prepare for my first EV. Here is my question/issue:

My Rivian Wall Charger is arriving tomorrow and I already have quotes with a few contractors to do the install. My truck is parked behind my backyard and house, where there is a distance of about 60-ft from where the wall charger will be installed and my parking spot. I have been quoted for two install scopes: 1) install the charger attached to the exterior of my house with a 60amp breaker, use the existing 25-ft cord length on the charger and then run an aftermarket Lectron 40-ft J-plug extension cable to my car for charge or 2) trench a conduit from my house to the parking spot and then install the charger on a pedestal right next to the truck. Option 1 is much easier and cheaper than Option 2, but I am worried about voltage/charge loss with the extension cable and the drop from 60amp to 40amp. I am only seeing the 40amp extension cable in that length as an option to purchase.

Has anyone performed something similar and have results to share or advice?

Thanks in advance

Seth

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
66 Posts
Option 1 is a bad option. Option 2 is 100% the way to go.

If you're worried about cost maybe ask them what part of the work you can do yourself in order for the Option 2 price to be more like the Option 1 price (plus extension cable). Maybe digging the trench and/or setting a pedestal in concrete? Maybe just be the electrician's sidekick for the day?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts