Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just received my RT1 yesterday, 6 months earlier than my projected delivery date, which was a welcomed surprise, but I am now scrambling to prepare for my first EV. Here is my question/issue:

My Rivian Wall Charger is arriving tomorrow and I already have quotes with a few contractors to do the install. My truck is parked behind my backyard and house, where there is a distance of about 60-ft from where the wall charger will be installed and my parking spot. I have been quoted for two install scopes: 1) install the charger attached to the exterior of my house with a 60amp breaker, use the existing 25-ft cord length on the charger and then run an aftermarket Lectron 40-ft J-plug extension cable to my car for charge or 2) trench a conduit from my house to the parking spot and then install the charger on a pedestal right next to the truck. Option 1 is much easier and cheaper than Option 2, but I am worried about voltage/charge loss with the extension cable and the drop from 60amp to 40amp. I am only seeing the 40amp extension cable in that length as an option to purchase.

Has anyone performed something similar and have results to share or advice?

Thanks in advance

Seth

· Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
105 Posts
Option 1 is a bad option. Option 2 is 100% the way to go.

If you're worried about cost maybe ask them what part of the work you can do yourself in order for the Option 2 price to be more like the Option 1 price (plus extension cable). Maybe digging the trench and/or setting a pedestal in concrete? Maybe just be the electrician's sidekick for the day?

· Registered
9 Posts
We will be a 2 EV garage when R1S arrives and wonder if anyone knows of a pull down cable or retracting type spool so that one level 2 charger can service 2 vehicles on alternating nights. Home designed units requested as well. The future market potential will be vigorous. Entrepreneurs out there, we need a solution. Audition at [email protected] or catch an open audition from their website. Get preliminary patents ASAP. Go to Crowdfunding as producers monitor those websites. Why don’t I do it, too old. Get rich young people.

· Registered
105 Posts
We will be a 2 EV garage when R1S arrives and wonder if anyone knows of a pull down cable or retracting type spool so that one level 2 charger can service 2 vehicles on alternating nights. Home designed units requested as well. The future market potential will be vigorous. Entrepreneurs out there, we need a solution. Audition at [email protected] or catch an open audition from their website. Get preliminary patents ASAP. Go to Crowdfunding as producers monitor those websites. Why don’t I do it, too old. Get rich young people.
So generally the problem with a retractable spool is that it's bundling up the cable, and the point of these systems is to essentially max out the capacity of that cable. Doing so heats up the cable. If the cable is tightly wound up on itself it's going to get very hot very fast. We in the bizz call that "a very bad thing".

So for an overhead system you'd probably want something like a draped cable with a wind up string that supports it. Or some kind of a boom.

· Registered
38 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Bingo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts