Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings- I just joined your forum seeking basic RT1 information and insights.

With all of the bed dimension discussions I've googled through, I can't find mention of the one other important basic dimension- the bed height! Rivian's website only lists the height from the bed to top rails. Doesn't matter if you intend to use the vehicle for camping, biking, big box store runs, or 4X8's- you always have to lift it up to the bed. Current traditional truck bed heights are ridiculously high, a deal killer for me.

I'm a potential buyer who needs truck practicality, and I wonder why clean sheet designs can't now include rear suspension lowering or "kneeling" for loading, and an integral loading ramp. Can't be that big of a technical or packaging problem, can it? I don't want a Cybertruck or F150 Lightning at this point, and hoped Rivian offered an better alternative.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Greetings- I just joined your forum seeking basic RT1 information and insights.

With all of the bed dimension discussions I've googled through, I can't find mention of the one other important basic dimension- the bed height! Rivian's website only lists the height from the bed to top rails. Doesn't matter if you intend to use the vehicle for camping, biking, big box store runs, or 4X8's- you always have to lift it up to the bed. Current traditional truck bed heights are ridiculously high, a deal killer for me.

I'm a potential buyer who needs truck practicality, and I wonder why clean sheet designs can't now include rear suspension lowering or "kneeling" for loading, and an integral loading ramp. Can't be that big of a technical or packaging problem, can it? I don't want a Cybertruck or F150 Lightning at this point, and hoped Rivian offered an better alternative.
The truck does have variable height...of course, it can only go as low as the wheel wells.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just opened a chat with Rivian themselves and asked, and the first response was
"That's a great question. Let me look into that".

Second reply:
"It looks like I am not finding a measurement from the ground to the deck of the bed, I apologize for that. I will be notating that question for our teams to see in hopes that we can get those measurements."

I thought I over looked it on their site, so joined the forum to ask you all for the answer, as it's so important if you want to use the bed. For anything.
Unbelievable.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Get a ramp. Most truck owners don't really care much about bed height, but many new trucks do offer little features like step-ups at the corners or via the tailgate (one thing Rivian lacks). As mentioned, Rivian beats traditional trucks with a lowered kneeling height via air suspension. Tons of YT videos with this being discussed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a ramp. Most truck owners don't really care much about bed height...
Well I sure do, and I already own a ramp- but thanks for the suggestion. You're missing my point. I can load and unload a 550 pound motorcycle alone because my current truck has a 26" bed height. I'm considering a Rivian to replace it, but simply wanted to know if the bed height was practical, and need to know that basic dimension.

Starting to understand that I'm not in the target market for this vehicle, but I like many things about it and wish them success in the hyper competitive truck market.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Get a ramp. Most truck owners don't really care much about bed height, but many new trucks do offer little features like step-ups at the corners or via the tailgate (one thing Rivian lacks). As mentioned, Rivian beats traditional trucks with a lowered kneeling height via air suspension. Tons of YT videos with this being discussed.
Gear tunnel is the step into the bed.

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
What's your current truck? I'd wager that the R1T has the same if not lower height unless you're driving an old Mazda B2200, Chevy S10 or Ford Ranger.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Well I sure do, and I already own a ramp- but thanks for the suggestion. You're missing my point. I can load and unload a 550 pound motorcycle alone because my current truck has a 26" bed height. I'm considering a Rivian to replace it, but simply wanted to know if the bed height was practical, and need to know that basic dimension.
Not sure I understand. You can load a motorcycle into the back of a truck with a 38" bed height solo (with the proper ramp), so maybe you are wondering if you can use the same ramps you own today if the incline were steeper?

Your current bed height is really low, so if I were a betting man, I would guess Rivian isn't going to beat it. What kind of truck do you own?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Gear tunnel is the step into the bed.
The gear tunnel will be great for rear rooftop access, but not sure I would want to open then close the gear tunnel just to access the bed every time. Hard to say without doing stuff with the truck ,but I think a simple "step" at the rear bumper corners would be preferred. In reality, and what I do sometimes today, is simply stand on a rear tire or the bumper, but that's not really ideal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm late to the game here so maybe you've already got the answer you were looking for from Moi's post above. Just keep in mind that with the air suspension adjustment, there is a 6.5" height variation. Moi's measurement could be anywhere in that range including at one end or the other but at least you get an idea. I haven't actually measured the lowest and highest adjustments on my R1T or I'd give you that exact range...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts