Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Running List of Total R1T and R1S Deliveries?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jmk5151 
#1 ·
Is there a running list of deliveries? For Tesla there are various trackers that list the Tesla VINs issued, which gives a rough estimate of deliveries on a running basis. Has anyone put together anything similar for Rivian?

#3 ·
Hopefully, we get a whole new level of candidness next week ... not just on what they've done but a candid projection of future production. That's certainly not a given as the New York Times reported that neither Rivian nor Amazon would answer their question about whether any vans were delivered to Amazon in the 4th quarter.

I think the honeymoon period is officially over and I doubt that the financial press will be in the mood to give Rivian any slack. For example, how can Rivan blame supply chain issues on computer chips when they've made so few vehicles? Why haven't chips been stock-piled now for months and months, given what they saw happen to other automakers that actually DO produce vehicles in mass?

If we don't get some needed clarity ... Rivian needs a clear change at management at the very top level.

#11 ·
Hopefully, we get a whole new level of candidness next week ... not just on what they've done but a candid projection of future production. That's certainly not a given as the New York Times reported that neither Rivian nor Amazon would answer their question about whether any vans were delivered to Amazon in the 4th quarter.

I think the honeymoon period is officially over and I doubt that the financial press will be in the mood to give Rivian any slack. For example, how can Rivan blame supply chain issues on computer chips when they've made so few vehicles? Why haven't chips been stock-piled now for months and months, given what they saw happen to other automakers that actually DO produce vehicles in mass?

If we don't get some needed clarity ... Rivian needs a clear change at management at the very top level.
Will RJ. E sleeping on the production floor in a Walmart sleeping bag during Production Hell? I seem to remember someone else who did that while saying designing is easy, but production is Hard. Really hard.

#9 ·
Our company and every electronics manufacturer that we deal with are absolutely stockpiling computer chips, it's the only way to ensure product keeps shipping out the door. With things as wacky as they are right now, lean inventories and JIT manufacturing is out the door, we've had to completely change our paradigm. We are buying parts out 2 years for risky components, we would never think of doing that before. Grey market brokers are also stock-piling and making a killing right now. Grey market pricing right now is 10x-15x markup for in-demand parts. The cost to build our products is climbing by the month. I'm not at all surprised at what Rivian attempted to do here, as they watch their profit margins evaporate.
Ummm ... RITVT ... perhaps stick to things you know about. Thanks kirkSD for the knowledge.

Having spent my entire career in Supply Chain Planning, I can share the basics with you. When obtaining parts are at risk (production yield issues such as CPU/GPU), production scheduling issues, sourcing issues, transportation issues ... etc.) you need to raise your safety stock levels (above and beyond). Getting too cute with JIT just means they now find somebody else to do your job as they show you the door ... and pay me to come in to work on their supply chain processes.

As far as those commenting on Rivian being in a position that they can't afford to be a start-up company trying to get to critical mass ... please share how you specifically know that is remotely true. Because I doubt that financial commitments made to Rivian such as lines of credit and other financial backing arrangements and the dollars that would be involved have been publicly shared.

#5 ·
Our company and every electronics manufacturer that we deal with are absolutely stockpiling computer chips, it's the only way to ensure product keeps shipping out the door. With things as wacky as they are right now, lean inventories and JIT manufacturing is out the door, we've had to completely change our paradigm. We are buying parts out 2 years for risky components, we would never think of doing that before. Grey market brokers are also stock-piling and making a killing right now. Grey market pricing right now is 10x-15x markup for in-demand parts. The cost to build our products is climbing by the month. I'm not at all surprised at what Rivian attempted to do here, as they watch their profit margins evaporate.

#7 ·
I would suspect you are right. A startup like Rivian has a lot of demands for its cash, and tying cash up in excessive inventory is not typically considered good practice. From my perspective, its a horrible time to be trying to spin up a manufacturing operation from scratch, its challenging enough for established businesses at the moment.

#14 ·
Its impossible to stockpile the legacy chips that most auto's used as the foundries shut down. Most other basic CPUs are somewhat available, its just all the other components are not. I don't know if RIVN went with the old dies or started with a more modern chip set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.